Multimedia

Author Topic: Brake Issues, Please Help  (Read 7497 times)

Offline sblmnlbmx

• View Profile
Brake Issues, Please Help
« on: January 19, 2016, 02:34:43 PM »
I have a black gsport birdcage rim. I had a raw flt rim before (the one with holes). My brake is perfectly adjusted. So far I have tried:

Clear Odyssey slim by four pads
Black Aztek pads
Natural (red) kool stop pads
Clear Fly pads

My brakes slip way too much. Guys from Odyssey said that all I needed was to clean my rim with soapy water. Ive tried that and it didnt work. I also tried with coke and same got the same results. They squeak and work for no more than 30 mins. After that they slip. I hate that. Got any tips?

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Brake Issues, Please Help
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 03:44:43 PM »
I have nothing constructive to add, just that my brakes work awesome on my birdcage. Did you take the wax off of the pads? Clean that coke shit off? Try cleaning rim and pads with Simple Green. Every couple months Ill take my pads off and let them sit in an SG puddle, and clean my rim periodically with it. They squeak for a bit but after that they work pretty good. Is your straddle cable super long? What brakes? Sounds like you might have some type of mechanical advantage issue, rather than a pad issue, but clear pads should pretty much just work and squack no matter what...

Offline sblmnlbmx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 04:36:26 PM »
Thanks for answering. My current setup is the following:

Black GSport ribcage Rim
Bicycle Union brake with sealed bearings
Odyssey monolever
Snafu mobeus gyro
Odyssey Slim by four clear pads.

My brake is adjusted perfectly. It worked pretty good with the original pads and a chrome hazzard lite Rim. But got sick of riding chrome in my rear wheel and the pads worn off.

I also cleaned the coke and blazed the pads. The result keeps being the same. It squeaks and works for no longer than 30 mins and then it begins to slip.

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 05:59:55 PM »
Do the brake arms have much play on the 990 mounts?
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline sblmnlbmx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 08:17:33 PM »
No play amd no flex. Supers smooth because of the sealed bearings. Pads touch make even contact with the rim surface at the same time. I really dont know what is wrong.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 08:29:15 PM »
cables lubed/nice and smooth? i cant work out what the issue is, like badlight said clear pads usually grab like a mofo. only other option would be to get a chrome rim but thats a pain in the arse cos itd be expensive, and youd have to rebuild the wheel
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 12:50:57 AM »
Are the pads glazed? They usually are when new (and after some use)

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 03:00:18 AM »
I had fairly bad braking power on my black birdcage with clear eclat pads. They were just too hard. I used a dremel with a stone knife sharpner head and took off a mm or so of the top layer. Result was uneven and softer surface, made it better but not perfect.

Swapped to black 2x4 and now they work well
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »
I have a black birdcage and clear odyssey pads and had the same problem at first. After sanding down the pads and a break in period my brakes work fine now.

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 09:33:27 AM »
I would just try black odsy pads
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 12:22:24 PM »
I have a black gsport birdcage rim. I had a raw flt rim before (the one with holes). My brake is perfectly adjusted. So far I have tried:

Clear Odyssey slim by four pads
Black Aztek pads
Natural (red) kool stop pads
Clear Fly pads

My brakes slip way too much. Guys from Odyssey said that all I needed was to clean my rim with soapy water. Ive tried that and it didnt work. I also tried with coke and same got the same results. They squeak and work for no more than 30 mins. After that they slip. I hate that. Got any tips?

I noticed you didn't mention the brake cable? 

I've worked on dozens of bikes and brake setups, and although various things work slightly better or worse, the most consistent thing that seems to make the most difference is having a smooth-pulling brake cable with no kinks, minimize tight bends, and FULL of lube. 

If you're talking about a front brake cable, then if you've used it on one bike then remove it and put it on another bike (or back on the same bike), it often works less well, because you've already kinked it where it comes out of the fork above the tire.

People often also have a kink in the inner cable close to the brake lever, as well as near the rear cable stop that goes to the splitter;  those kinks will weaken the pulling power as well.

Offline sblmnlbmx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 11:30:23 PM »
Im running a gyro. I dont know the brand of the gyro cables. I just went to the bike shop and got them. Ive done that before and never had this issue. Before the gyro I also runned a straight Odyssey Linear K shield cable and I had the same problem. Thats why I discarded the cable as being the cause of my problem.

Right now there are no kinks in my cables. I will lub them and let you guys know.

What I have noticed so far is that my rim seems to collect a lot of dust everytime I go ride. As lobg as my rim is clean and dry, my brake works perfect, but it only takes line 30 minutes and then it starts collecting dust and it slips. Then I have to clean my rim and sand my pads again.

I also wanna thank every one of you guys for trying to help me out on this.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 11:30:23 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special