Multimedia

Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 11191 times)

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
Brake pads
« on: October 15, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
Which brake pads should I get? My current setup is painted rims with clear Odyssey pads and no matter how I adjust them, they honk like a mating goose. I'd like to keep the paint on the rim in tact, but I'd rather have good brakes. Black Odyssey pads seem to work okay for me, but as you all know, I always just end up buying Odyssey parts. Save me from throwing more money at Odyssey.

Offline Oddity

• View Profile
Re: Brake pads
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:23:55 PM »
Salmon colored Kool Stop Eagle Claw 2s

Offline MSBNL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 11:38:17 PM »
I'm happy with my Baradines, they were cheap as well, I remember them being like 20 buck vs. 8 right now.

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 06:13:03 AM »
I am partial to Flys but they are expensive. Salmon Kool Stop 'BMX' (Eagles are huge) pads and Baradine clear are better value

Goose sound isn't necessarily the pad, more often it's the brake arm oscillating on the post due to worn bushings or a loose fit to begin with

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 06:34:31 AM »
Goose sound isn't necessarily the pad, more often it's the brake arm oscillating on the post due to worn bushings or a loose fit to begin with

Really? I try to not use my brakes since they sound like air raid alarms. Would it be a good idea to put grease or copper paste on the brake lugs?
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline Ricked_Em

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 08:27:50 AM »
I've tried almost every pad known to man and I am currently on boxx x-rays and am super happy. Kind of an investment at $22 but you can replace just the pad for like $8 later down the road.
"Nobody looks cool using a bike pump"-Van Homan

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 09:26:42 AM »

Really? I try to not use my brakes since they sound like air raid alarms. Would it be a good idea to put grease or copper paste on the brake lugs?

It's not about the lube, it's the slop of the fit. Some people have apparently shimmed it somewhat with teflon tape in the past, there was a Bg thread

Offline The Outsider

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 01:21:49 PM »
I had that problem once with my Springfields and the clear pads. Turns out I had the pads upside down since they toe in the opposite way of conventional pads.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 07:31:03 PM »
mine got so bad with my fly pads i took my brakes off again hah
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 07:42:40 PM »
Try teflon tape on the brake mounts.

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 08:02:28 AM »
Thanks, I'll try some teflon tape on the posts. I've ordered some Eagle Claw pads in both black and salmon, so if that doesn't work I'll just sell the bike.

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »
Thanks, I'll try some teflon tape on the posts. I've ordered some Eagle Claw pads in both black and salmon, so if that doesn't work I'll just sell the bike.

Haha
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 07:22:17 PM »
I'd pay 40 for Shimanos in good nick, AD990s not so much

Offline Jared Pabis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 10:52:15 AM »
Like a lot of people, I've tried every pair I could get over the years.  Kool Stop Tectonics worked the best, and were the easiest to set up (They arent noisy even if you run them without toe in).  The only reason I don't use them anymore is because cartridge style pads make me nervous.  Since the pads are held in with just a cotter pin, I'm worried the pads will slide out of the holder if you use your brakes during a fakie trick or fufanu.  If you never do fakie stuff, then this isn't an issue.

http://www.koolstop.com/english/tectonic.html

Other than that, I would suggest any salmon colored pad from Kool Stop.   Supra's always worked well http://www.koolstop.com/english/supra2.html

At the moment I am running clear Elcats on one bike, and black odyssey's on another. 

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 10:52:15 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special