Multimedia

Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 19314 times)

Offline stevefromtexas

• View Profile
Re: Brakes
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 12:38:50 AM »
My friend just gave me a set of Springfield brakes I got them working good with the odyssey quick slick cable and I'm useing clear ghost pads they work grate. I have a older set of flys to I ordered new springs for them and they worked for about 3 hours and the spring just won't stay the springs I ordered are for clasico or manual would love to run them again if anyone on here has a set of springs they will let go pm me please.

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 05:52:44 AM »

Has the geometry of brakes stayed the same or has it changed to accommodate clearance for larger tires?

In my experience, brake arms have not changed in shape to accommodate larger tires. When I was building up my current frame I bought a brand new set of Evo IIs only to find out that there was absolutely zero chance that they would fit around my 2.25" tire. The set of Eclat arms that I had did the same thing. I ended up filing out the inside of some OG Fly arms and they've worked so far.

I think G has said that the Springfield arms have lots of clearance, and I think the Shadow Sano arms do as well.

Offline thatotherguy84

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »

Has the geometry of brakes stayed the same or has it changed to accommodate clearance for larger tires?

In my experience, brake arms have not changed in shape to accommodate larger tires. When I was building up my current frame I bought a brand new set of Evo IIs only to find out that there was absolutely zero chance that they would fit around my 2.25" tire. The set of Eclat arms that I had did the same thing. I ended up filing out the inside of some OG Fly arms and they've worked so far.

I think G has said that the Springfield arms have lots of clearance, and I think the Shadow Sano arms do as well.

Well damn, I wonder what the Max size is for EVO2s as I just bought two sets myself for my new build :/ Seems odd that the EVOs wouldn't be any bigger since the smallest size Odyssey offers in most of their tires is 2.2"

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 01:50:03 PM »
I agree, but every frame is different. Maybe you're experience will be more successful?

Let me know.

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 03:50:34 PM »
I think it comes down to brake mount placement. I have Eclat brakes and can clear a 2.4 tire no problem, and havent had an issue with any other brakes.

Offline Oddity

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 12:49:53 PM »
I think it comes down to brake mount placement. I have Eclat brakes and can clear a 2.4 tire no problem, and havent had an issue with any other brakes.
This.
I could clear a 2.4" no problem with my EVO 2s.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 04:24:27 PM »
Brake arm mount position on the frame is a significant factor, brake pad washer stack is significant also. Many brakes were designed around existing brakes and/or when tyres weren't as huge as they are now.

Yes the Springfields were designed with a decent amount of tyre clearance in mind and are probably one of the most spacious (but I haven't actually made a comparison with every brake on the market).

:)
G.   
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Kurt Hohberger

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmxunion.com
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 08:42:28 AM »
I prefer the Fly brakes over the Odyssey because of the spring size. I broke the Odyssey spring quite a bit since it's pretty small. There's another thread about this too...

http://www.bikeguide.org/forum/index.php/topic,220747.0.html

Perhaps ought to mention that they pay you... you know just for the sake of transparency... I dont want to be a dick about it or anything but you haven't posted in months then post three (out of four) comments plugging Fly's products..

G.

True, they do... But out of the sake of transparency, I broke every single spring I put into the Odyssey brake and that was my issue that I stated while comparing the two... I broke at least 5 of the Springfield brake springs before resorting to rubber bands to make it work. Even the "revised" ones broke pretty quickly for me. Prior to the two posts I made explaining why I choose the Fly brake, I never mentioned that I broke the springs that many times for the sake of not hurting your sales. I have yet to break one of the Fly brake springs because it's oversized, and for what it's used for, it's not going to break. The discussion is about our opinion on the two brakes. I'm giving my honest opinion. I'd run the Fly brakes regardless of the situation. I ran their brakes before I ran the Springfields, long before I ever worked for them. I never did a review of the Springhanger brake on my site. I also never changed my review of the Springfield brake that I did do, that was far more positive than my current outlook on the spring used. I can update it with info that the springs break constantly if you would prefer?

Also, while we're on the topic of being paid... Check the The Union from time to time because that's what I'm busy doing instead of posting here every day... I constantly plug Odyssey, Sunday and G-Sport products all the time and you guys DON'T pay me, along with every other brand that are producing solid products. NONE of them pay for it anymore because I was sick of the bull shit like this stating "they pay you, so you play favorites". Fly pays me to handle their social media channels and I keep that completely separate from my personal work. In fact, prior to you telling everyone I work for them, nobody probably had a clue since I don't tell anyone to avoid any sort of conflict.  I don't need people assuming I play favorites because I put a lot of effort in to try to give every brand the fair share on a FREE outlet to them. Ask Nuno... Every time he sends me something to promote for Odyssey, Sunday... It's posted right away no questions asked. I don't recall how many sites other than The Union posted the news that your new hub guards were out... I'm sure a few of the ones Odyssey / Sunday advertise with "had" to post it.

Losing respect for you quite quickly with your assumptions these days. Not to be a dick about it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:36:01 AM by Kurt Hohberger »
Check out The Union! - http://www.bmxunion.com
Original interviews, videos, reviews, Insights... Daily videos, news and photos!

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
Fight fight fight!

Breaking springs is user error. I have two sets of those brakes.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 03:25:12 PM »
I prefer the Fly brakes over the Odyssey because of the spring size. I broke the Odyssey spring quite a bit since it's pretty small. There's another thread about this too...

http://www.bikeguide.org/forum/index.php/topic,220747.0.html

Perhaps ought to mention that they pay you... you know just for the sake of transparency... I dont want to be a dick about it or anything but you haven't posted in months then post three (out of four) comments plugging Fly's products..

G.

True, they do... But out of the sake of transparency, I broke every single spring I put into the Odyssey brake and that was my issue that I stated while comparing the two... I broke at least 5 of the Springfield brake springs before resorting to rubber bands to make it work. Even the "revised" ones broke pretty quickly for me. Prior to the two posts I made explaining why I choose the Fly brake, I never mentioned that I broke the springs that many times for the sake of not hurting your sales. I have yet to break one of the Fly brake springs because it's oversized, and for what it's used for, it's not going to break. The discussion is about our opinion on the two brakes. I'm giving my honest opinion. I'd run the Fly brakes regardless of the situation. I ran their brakes before I ran the Springfields, long before I ever worked for them. I never did a review of the Springhanger brake on my site. I also never changed my review of the Springfield brake that I did do, that was far more positive than my current outlook on the spring used. I can update it with info that the springs break constantly if you would prefer?

Also, while we're on the topic of being paid... Check the The Union from time to time because that's what I'm busy doing instead of posting here every day... I constantly plug Odyssey, Sunday and G-Sport products all the time and you guys DON'T pay me, along with every other brand that are producing solid products. NONE of them pay for it anymore because I was sick of the bull shit like this stating "they pay you, so you play favorites". Fly pays me to handle their social media channels and I keep that completely separate from my personal work. In fact, prior to you telling everyone I work for them, nobody probably had a clue since I don't tell anyone to avoid any sort of conflict.  I don't need people assuming I play favorites because I put a lot of effort in to try to give every brand the fair share on a FREE outlet to them. Ask Nuno... Every time he sends me something to promote for Odyssey, Sunday... It's posted right away no questions asked. I don't recall how many sites other than The Union posted the news that your new hub guards were out... I'm sure a few of the ones Odyssey / Sunday advertise with "had" to post it.

Losing respect for you quite quickly with your assumptions these days. Not to be a dick about it.

Wow. Really didn't expect to elicit that kind of reply. I genuinely wasn't trying to be a dick about it, just seemed strange. Nothing for weeks, then two brake posts and a tripod plug... And yes, we do Tripod etc.
As it happens, I was just looking on the Union at something the other day and thinking it was cool that you cover everything regardless of whether people advertise, whereas for example Dig, dont, which seems insane to me, how do they expect to compete with a site like the comeup that is a one stops shop if they dont cover everything? Sure in an ideal world "kids" would seek out good unique content, but realistically a lot don't seem to.

We have a lot of the Springfields out in the wild now and spring failure is not a huge issue these days as far as I am aware. We sell a lot of them and most of the feedback is good, and it definitely seems to have helped a lot with the issue of riders not being comfortable setting brakes up.
Personally I believe that the spring-hanger concept is inherently flawed from an engineering perspective; in that your straddle is always going to have to be bent so the first bit of pull is always likely to be wasted on straightening it somewhat; but I haven't actually tried it so maybe that bit is not too noticeable.

I'm sorry if I offended you and I do wish you all the best with the Union.

G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 04:12:25 AM »
In fact, prior to you telling everyone I work for them, nobody probably had a clue since I don't tell anyone to avoid any sort of conflict.

Hey Kurt, I knew you worked for Fly before G posted that. I'm not sure how I knew, but I think I just heard it on the grape vine. If I knew, it is safe to safe most people on here knew too. Didn't change my opinion of you or anything. It's not like G let the cat out of the bag. Don't be cut up about what G said, I think you might've misunderstood his tone.

On the topic of brakes though, my 2c on the springhammer vs springfield is that the springfields are a better brake. I think in either case you're probably best going for an even better brake with a traditional spring setup if you know what you're doing or plan to keep them on.
Hangovers and trains

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 04:12:25 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special