Multimedia

Author Topic: Fly Manual vs. Odyssey Springfield brakes  (Read 10286 times)

Offline Fundamental

• View Profile
Fly Manual vs. Odyssey Springfield brakes
« on: May 13, 2015, 02:51:22 AM »
Yeah, so I'm a dinosaur and I like brakes along with doing a good fufanu, abubaca and hill bomb…
As the title says, Fly Manuals or Odyssey Springfields.  Pluses?  Minuses?
I currently run a simple straight cable/clear pad set up with Odyssey Evo 2's.
Aloha.

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
Re: Fly Manual vs. Odyssey Springfield brakes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 03:21:01 AM »
Get new pads and springs for your Evo 2's. If you absolutely have to get either of those two the Springfields are a better brake.
Hangovers and trains

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 04:03:49 AM »
I'm with Leon on this one regarding keeping the Evo's, except if you have worn the bushings out on the arms and they flop about

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 06:17:01 AM »
Yea, Evo II is the best of those three.  Never rocked a Fly, but I have rode Springfields. They work, for sure.  Not trying to take away from the Springfield, but Evo II is just a lot nicer to work on/dial in. 

Moral of the story, if you hate to work on your bike and just want it to work I would vote Springfields.  If you know how to use an allen wrench and a 17mm, Evo II. 
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline Kurt Hohberger

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmxunion.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
I ran the Springfield brakes for a while and they worked well, but I broke the spring a lot. I eventually just resorted to a little ghetto rigging and put two rubber bands to hold the arms open until I pulled the lever and that actually did pretty well.

I'm currently running the Fly Springhanger Manual brakes and, since the spring replaces the bridge cable and is way bigger than the spring on the Springfield brakes, I obviously haven't broke the spring which has been a huge perk. I really like the pull and how smooth they are.

With both, you have to have your wheel centered or the arms will be off and the brakes will feel mushy... But if you have your wheel close to center, they will work damn good. If there was a way to adjust the arms individually, they would be virtually perfect.

If I had to choose, I'd go Springhanger over the Springfield just because of the oversized spring factor.  -- http://flybikes.com/products/braking/manual-springhanger if you need to see it better.
Check out The Union! - http://www.bmxunion.com
Original interviews, videos, reviews, Insights... Daily videos, news and photos!

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 12:55:24 AM »
I really don't understand how people break the spring on those breaks....  but I know it happens a lot.  Young kid at my local has done it twice in a month.  It never happened to me, though. 

Fly's look cool. 

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 02:20:21 AM »
yeah i dont get the spring breakages either, mines been fine
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 06:51:53 AM »
I really don't understand how people break the spring on those breaks....  but I know it happens a lot.  Young kid at my local has done it twice in a month.  It never happened to me, though. 

Fly's look cool.

We had a batch of crappy springs unfortunately. I think it is pretty rare now.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 11:52:47 AM »
The young kid broke one off a 2015 Sunday complete.  So I gave him an extra one I had from back in my Texas days and he did the exact same thing.  Do you really think those could be from the same batch, G?  Mine was for sure from probably the first few months those brakes went to aftermarket sales. 

The kid is your typical "that kid is only 15!?!?!?" type of ogar looking kid.  I just chalked it up to that. 

Offline Fundamental

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 01:11:09 PM »
That's ogre to you... :)
Aloha.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »
The young kid broke one off a 2015 Sunday complete.  So I gave him an extra one I had from back in my Texas days and he did the exact same thing.  Do you really think those could be from the same batch, G?  Mine was for sure from probably the first few months those brakes went to aftermarket sales. 

The kid is your typical "that kid is only 15!?!?!?" type of ogar looking kid.  I just chalked it up to that.

It could be. We definitely don't hear of as many breakages as we did in the early days. But equally it could be something else, impossible to say without seeing it and knowing how it was assembled etc.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello