Multimedia

Author Topic: Apple's iCar or whatever..  (Read 29512 times)

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Re: Apple's iCar or whatever..
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »
Hopefully this stuff will be the first nail in the coffin for fossil fuels too.

Offline MilkyWilky

• www.marcsist.com
    • View Profile
    • Marcsist
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »
...and the two will dock together securely ...

I just hope it's better than the connectors of iPhone past. I could see it. I hope they're boxy cause aerodynamics are irrelevant for some reason.. I miss those days.

I just hope Apple/Android Car control platforms come before that. I want to make an app for the NA market that will only run one reverse light at a time, effectively doubling the life of your reverse lights. $1.99 (we double up here)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:51:37 PM by MilkyWilky »

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2015, 07:23:41 PM »

How did you think that would come about? There would be a huge demand on electricity infrastructure. The famous Thames plant is powered by??

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 08:26:03 PM »
I decided to do a quick google search and the sources states between a dozen-several hundred engineers are on the project. There have also been meetings between Apple and car manufactors.

It could perhaps be that Apple is trying to reinvent the wheel, but I doubt that they want to make the car completely by themselves. Sure, they have the money, but buying a plant and setting everything up is still a huge (HUGE) risk. Perhaps a iMercedes?
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2015, 03:18:31 AM »

How did you think that would come about? There would be a huge demand on electricity infrastructure. The famous Thames plant is powered by??

I was referring to increased use of renewable energy sources, Solar, Wind, Water, Geothermal etc, hopefully they'll be come a lot more prevalent in the coming years.

Offline MilkyWilky

• www.marcsist.com
    • View Profile
    • Marcsist
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »
I decided to do a quick google search and the sources states between a dozen-several hundred engineers are on the project. There have also been meetings between Apple and car manufactors.

It could perhaps be that Apple is trying to reinvent the wheel, but I doubt that they want to make the car completely by themselves. Sure, they have the money, but buying a plant and setting everything up is still a huge (HUGE) risk. Perhaps a iMercedes?

That's where I'd put my money on. Cell phones are seemingly a sure bet to be at the central hub of the mystical 'Internet of Things'. The fact that legislation is keeping your phone out of reach in the car makes it one of the few places where people have some 'distance' from their phone. This is unacceptable for Apple!

Anyways, if you were Apple, looking to get a further play in the IoT market, why not go for the most expensive thing besides a home? Home automation stuff seems to be a bit of a risky play, because the pace of change is too high. My parents house fingerprint deadbolts from a big company on their doors about 7 years ago. They don't work anymore, never really did - they won't be gambling on new tech anytime soon. I've read a few things about these Home Automation things fading out of relevance as fast they appear.

Assuming that home ownership is in decline (in urban NA anyway, renting making the most economic sense in these times) people just aren't investing enough into their rented apartments. But a brain in every manufacturers car, which could be an expectation within a few years (if not already) that plays nice with your phone, that might just be something Automakers would willingly let Neue Big Brother handle.

Offline Bunky

• Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »
I bet it's just IOT related stuff...

The potential for added revenue by adding internet to your cars is MASSIVE!

I've been saying for years that someone needs to build an app that uses GPS and Satelite Radio to create targeted adds for people riding in vehicles.  Can you imagine getting done listening to the latest Brittney Spears song on Sirius and then hearing "looks like you're running low on fuel, stop in to Quick Trip and fill your tank and get one dollar off all specialty coffee drinks.  We're just 2 miles ahead on the right off exit 15.  Stop in today."
Quote from: G
this website is essentially an irrelevant back-water of the internet

Offline ad.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 12:47:40 AM »
I bet it's just IOT related stuff...

The potential for added revenue by adding internet to your cars is MASSIVE!

I've been saying for years that someone needs to build an app that uses GPS and Satelite Radio to create targeted adds for people riding in vehicles.  Can you imagine getting done listening to the latest Brittney Spears song on Sirius and then hearing "looks like you're running low on fuel, stop in to Quick Trip and fill your tank and get one dollar off all specialty coffee drinks.  We're just 2 miles ahead on the right off exit 15.  Stop in today."

'Wow it looks like that last ad increased your blood pressure - you sure hate your corporatised monetised existence don't you? Why not nip round to Ed's guns, also off exit 15, where Ed is a running Top Yourself TuesdayTM, just $50 for a cheap chinese hand gun, one bullet and a quiet parking space out back'

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »
Let's be honest.

Look at what is at the forefront of automotive technology and it's guaranteed Apple is going to steal it than make it popular somehow. They're pretty the elvis of our time. What eminent is to rap, Apple is to whatever it is they do.

Offline MilkyWilky

• www.marcsist.com
    • View Profile
    • Marcsist
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 02:36:56 PM »
It's gonna be a HUD. Apparently they have some camera mounted vans driving around California, so maybe that HUD will have pop-ups that show you where to get specialty coffee drinks or whatever.

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
Let's be honest.

Look at what is at the forefront of automotive technology and it's guaranteed Apple is going to steal it than make it popular somehow. They're pretty the elvis of our time. What eminent is to rap, Apple is to whatever it is they do.

Stealing is such a weak hate against Apple. Sure they boost up the Apple propaganda with the whole innovative mantra and they weren't the first to do certain items. Regardless Steve Jobs made shit happen in ways very few people in our lifetime ever has. What use is some good idea if all it leads to is products in the clearance rack at CompUSA?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:23:43 PM by condrbkr »

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »
You know what would make Mr. French's scenario better? If an amazon x apple drone came and treated you like a package.

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 12:30:38 AM »
Let's be honest.

Stealing is such a weak hate against Apple. Sure they boost up the Apple propaganda with the whole innovative mantra and they weren't the first to do certain items. Regardless Steve Jobs made shit happen in ways very few people in our lifetime ever has. What use is some good idea if all it leads to is products in the clearance rack at CompUSA?

Who said I hated Apple? I typed that all on an iPhone. theyre probably just designing best for your vehicle just like for the home.

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 02:56:09 AM »
I swear I saw this announced 2 days ago, unless it was a dream.

Edit: Yep, http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/aug/14/apple-self-driving-car-project-titan-sooner-than-expected
Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »

Electric cars have the potential to make electricity supply much easier. At present we have to have enough capacity to supply peak demand, think superbowl commercial break and everyone sticks the oven/kettle/toaster on while the TV and AC are already on etc. Electric cars connected to "charge" can feed back for a few minutes to smooth this out and supply the extra needed instead of dozens of power plants being spooled up in anticipation.
At present, wind turbines are often shut down at quiet times because they are much cheaper and quicker to take off line than any other form of mechanical generator, we then have to pay NOT to get electricity, this power could be fed to charging cars as long as we have a smart grid. Nuclear power plants are the worst for this inability to be flexible.

It is also amazing how the Nuclear power lobby has "spun" this weakness of Nuclear and strength of wind into an anti-wind argument and made all this shit up about "base load", when that really isnt the main issue.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello