Multimedia

Author Topic: New Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 440099 times)

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
Re: New Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #720 on: December 12, 2015, 11:36:29 PM »
Ginger, after minimal reflection, it is my professional advice you try a super saturated NaCl and water solution to clean you water pipe.

I've never understood the "super saturated" thing. I use Cu(CuSo4) reference cells for work, and the CuSo4 we put into the halfcell needs to be super saturated. But really, how saturated can something get? You can only put in so much before it doesn't get dissolved by the water.

In the example you used, the CuSO4 is a ligand to the Cu. That's not an ionic or covalent type bonding. It's a complex ion most of the time. The CuSO4 groups around the Cu as much as possible.

In terms of a saturated solution you can alter it through thermodynamic changes. If you increase the energy to the system the solute will dissolve more as most solutions will become more soluble as heat increases. If you had it under an activation energy graph you could see the amplitude and relate that to how much of the solute is in solution.

This followed by rapid cooling to put it in a thermodynamic hole where the energy decrease is faster than it can precipitate out the system can have the same dissolved material at 25°c.

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: December 13, 2015, 04:40:48 PM »
I'm glad that chemistguide.org is interested in having a robust discussion about how best to clean my bong.
Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 13, 2015, 09:59:04 PM »
I bought my inner child a Christmas present today. Star Wars battlefront ps4. Staying home tomorrow!

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: December 15, 2015, 04:06:37 PM »
Today was one of those days when everything falls into place for a good late fall riding session, weather, afternoon off from work, bike in tip top shape and yet I couldn't ride nice and loose like I did last week when the weather was shit.

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
« Reply #724 on: December 16, 2015, 06:12:23 PM »
it's either ride my bike or read books

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: December 16, 2015, 10:11:16 PM »
I don't think the entirety of bg believes Carlos reads books.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 17, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »
Ginger, after minimal reflection, it is my professional advice you try a super saturated NaCl and water solution to clean you water pipe.

I've never understood the "super saturated" thing. I use Cu(CuSo4) reference cells for work, and the CuSo4 we put into the halfcell needs to be super saturated. But really, how saturated can something get? You can only put in so much before it doesn't get dissolved by the water.

In the example you used, the CuSO4 is a ligand to the Cu. That's not an ionic or covalent type bonding. It's a complex ion most of the time. The CuSO4 groups around the Cu as much as possible.

In terms of a saturated solution you can alter it through thermodynamic changes. If you increase the energy to the system the solute will dissolve more as most solutions will become more soluble as heat increases. If you had it under an activation energy graph you could see the amplitude and relate that to how much of the solute is in solution.

This followed by rapid cooling to put it in a thermodynamic hole where the energy decrease is faster than it can precipitate out the system can have the same dissolved material at 25°c.

Thanks nerd. But that doesn't explain super saturated vs saturated.
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 17, 2015, 03:20:42 PM »
Saturation you can think of as the amount of whatever at equilibrium in a solvent. That solution can become super saturated by using the method I was just talking about. Solutes can be more soluble by temperature. If get as much of your chemical to dissolve at a temperature but expect it will go back to a state of equilibrium were the solution can only have so much of the solute at 25°c. Instead you do a rapid cooling to go past the energy value to precipitate out, the solute can stay in solution instead of being in saturation it would normally be at in standard conditions.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 17, 2015, 03:50:01 PM »
Maybe I just don't know the actual definitions of either.
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 17, 2015, 09:48:30 PM »
Maybe this will help you visualize it.

Do you remember making rock candy? So you take your sugar (solute) and add it to boiling water (solvent). If you don't use boiling water, there is only so much sugar that will dissolve into solution. By boiling it, the solubility (how well it dissolves) increases. This greater solubility means there is a saturated solution at 100°c. As the solution cools slowly the crystals (precipitate) form large and classical crystal shape. Sometimes crystals won't form, this is what you would find as a super saturated solution in standard conditions.

Offline (jeff)

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 19, 2015, 01:51:52 AM »
I don't think the entirety of bg believes Carlos reads books.

Best thing i've read today.

Offline Finn the Human

• Algebraic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 20, 2015, 10:06:44 AM »
Been playing fallout 4 some more. Only level 24 but its gotten a lot better. Took a little bit to get into it.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 20, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »
I hate that ps4 you have to buy a subscription to play online. Star Wars battlefront isn't very cool.

Need to pick up metal gear solid.

Offline joelite44

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 20, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »
skate boarding through a session will help me relax once i get on my bike. skateboarding is neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j9uymJLXPA

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 20, 2015, 04:22:45 PM »
I hate that ps4 you have to buy a subscription to play online. Star Wars battlefront isn't very cool.

Need to pick up metal gear solid.

I bought it to play ESO, but that is now on the shelf because of Fallout. PSN+ gives you access to some cool free games though.
Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #734 on: December 20, 2015, 04:22:45 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello