Multimedia

Author Topic: On the subject of tire size (Ross)  (Read 11563 times)

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
On the subject of tire size (Ross)
« on: February 22, 2015, 06:36:40 PM »
I've recently built up my Sunday 2nd Wave and wonder if it's worth it to even buy tires. I've got a 2.1 Path on the back and it barely clears my brakes. I wanted to put some of the new Ross tires on there, but I doubt they'll fit. Anyone here try them out?

PS, I want to run Ross tires because look how hard he shreds.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
Re: On the subject of tire size (Ross)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:45:00 AM »
How are they barely clearing? Are they almost rubbing against the chainstays or are they just close to the arms towards the BB? Cant you just play with the spacers/shims on the brakepads and springs to increase the clearence?
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:38:29 AM »
I've just been through the fucking ringer trying to sort out brakes to clear a 2.25 Aitken. Evo IIs didn't stand a chance. I ended up filing out the insides of some OG Fly arms and they are working well now, but I also got ahold of some Shadow arms in the event that I need them and they seem to have a lot of clearance on the inside of the arms.

Good luck.

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 09:26:53 AM »
How are they barely clearing? Are they almost rubbing against the chainstays or are they just close to the arms towards the BB? Cant you just play with the spacers/shims on the brakepads and springs to increase the clearence?
Top of the tire wants to rub on the brake arms. I could probably just add a half link to my chain to get a little extra clearance, but it's a Keychain and adding links is expensive.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:12:09 PM »
try adjusting the spacers on your pads to get them as close as possible to the brake arms. as the pads get closer, the tops of the brake arms move further from the middle of the tyre. this might require buying some new pads mind
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline not_much_for_names

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 06:19:17 PM »
What brake arms are you running?

I've found Fly's have the most clearance in vertical and horizontal distance from the tyre and Evo's take up a lot of room.

Also had to deflate the tyre just enough to pinch it past the brake pads, and that's with the pads as close to the arms as possible.

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:41:04 PM »
It looks like the only way to get a bigger tire in there is to either remove the brakes or add a link to the chain. I've got GSport Birdcages and EVOII brakes with the wheel slammed, and everything is kinda maxed out. The hoops are narrow, so I already had to move spacers in between the pads and the arms just to get them to contact the rims because otherwise the arms knock against each other before there is rim contact.
I think the best way for this problem to resolve is for Odsy to release a 2.1 version of the tire I want, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »
The springfield has very good tyre clearance.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 02:40:03 PM »
Man, I feel for you guys. I have a 2.4 tire with eclat brakes and still have a ton of clearance. Sorry, I'll leave.

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 03:06:11 PM »
Man, I feel for you guys. I have a 2.4 tire with eclat brakes and still have a ton of clearance. Sorry, I'll leave.

2.4 (I assume steel bead) tire in the rear? You must love that rotational weight... ;)

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 03:19:38 PM »

2.4 (I assume steel bead) tire in the rear? You must love that rotational weight... ;)

Gotta look cool for the kids yo...

In all seriousness though, I dont really notice it. I dont like when my bike feels too squirrely, because I'm squirrely enough as it is ;)
It tables just fine. Plus, it looks badass. Isnt that what really matters? The answer is yes.

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »

Gotta look cool for the kids yo...

In all seriousness though, I dont really notice it. I dont like when my bike feels too squirrely, because I'm squirrely enough as it is ;)
It tables just fine. Plus, it looks badass. Isnt that what really matters? The answer is yes.

Lol I just had this debate with myself over what tire sizes I wanted to switch to. Part of me was curious to try some monster truck giant tires, but frame and brake clearance would be issues for me.

The added height and width sound interesting in terms of feel, but the rotational weight wouldn't. Like everything, tradeoffs all around.

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 09:42:14 PM »
Is 25 ounces too heavy?

That's what the Mainline tires are.

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 10:32:31 PM »
What TPI are most bmx tires anyway?

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 02:25:07 PM »
Is 25 ounces too heavy?

That's what the Mainline tires are.

I've read 26oz for the big MoFo front tire, which is a bit heavy for me.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 02:25:07 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello