Multimedia

Author Topic: Odyssey Clutch  (Read 8781 times)

Offline Mike Reimer(derangedbiker)

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Odyssey Clutch
« on: September 07, 2015, 05:28:20 PM »
Just wondering if anybody's clutch freecoaster has a very slight wobble. Its not really even enough to worry about but thought I would ask before screwing with it.

This is my first freecoaster so don't really know enough to mess with it over nothing. Haha.

Thanks.

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
Re: Odyssey Clutch
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 06:48:18 PM »
Yes mine but it's not really slight.  Warranty is handling it once I unlace the hub and send it in
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline Mike Reimer(derangedbiker)

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 07:31:43 PM »
Yes mine but it's not really slight.  Warranty is handling it once I unlace the hub and send it in

I might mess with mine to see what's up. Really hope I don't have to unlace it. I'll keep an eye to see if it gets worse.

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 11:28:41 PM »
Mine has a slight knock every now and again as if the bearings are shifting ever so slightly
What's more annoying though is the ever increasing slack during my flat sessions

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 01:51:20 AM »
^^ i don't have a clutch coaster to dissemble, but looking at G's videos on dissecting/explaining the hub, i think you can still put a couple spacers in there to control the slack instead of the bolt/plastic ramp system. Although this really isn't the optimal solution.

do you think it's the grub screw (the one to adjust slack amount) that's failing to hold its position with the threads? if that is the case, i wonder if it's OK to take the mechanism out the hub and set the screw with locktight then popping it back in. if you let the locktight cure for sufficient time (something like 20 hours) before reassembly, you should be able to prevent the grease from penetrating the threads and loosening it.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 09:34:39 AM »
The slack shouldn't change during use, but it can take a few minutes riding and repeated engagements and full disengagements to knock the parts back to the max slack position after you have made any adjustments. The adjuster needs the backing off of the clutch to push them back to the non-drive side.

The first batch of hubs seem to have been a bit low on grease so if you are getting noises then adding more grease through the adjustment hole (and working it in) may well fix any annoying rattles.

:)
G.

G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
The slack shouldn't change during use, but it can take a few minutes riding and repeated engagements and full disengagements to knock the parts back to the max slack position after you have made any adjustments. The adjuster needs the backing off of the clutch to push them back to the non-drive side.

The first batch of hubs seem to have been a bit low on grease so if you are getting noises then adding more grease through the adjustment hole (and working it in) may well fix any annoying rattles.

G.

Thanks for that G, turns out the expanding spacer had cracked right on the threads for the grub screw which was allowing to back out so easily.

Can replacements be purchased?

Thanks!

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »

G.

Thanks for that G, turns out the expanding spacer had cracked right on the threads for the grub screw which was allowing to back out so easily.

Can replacements be purchased?

Thanks!

Drop me your shipping address by email and I'll sort it. That's not a failure I ever expected to hear of, so it would be good to see it.

G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello