Multimedia

Author Topic: Posting bootleg videos.  (Read 115520 times)

Offline The Fresh Pinch

• Pinched Fresh
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
  • Grouchy
    • View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2006, 05:54:03 AM »
Quote from: favouritegame
i love watching the U.S citizens reveal their absolute paranoia about being busted by the long arm of 'johnny law'. lame.

You're speaking of not biting the hand that feeds... Well, I don't think that a bmx company is going to risk the PR nightmare, and the possible downfall of it's very target demographic, to sue any person on an internet message board. for posting a video of theirs, online. It's just not worth it for them. Legal fees etc. It all adds up to alot.

I'll mention the fact that most videos use music that is not licenced in anyway, so you were saying what about piracy?

Heres something, Lotek struck gold when their Mixtape was released on Google video. I know for a fact that Lotek stuff has been flying off bikeshop shelves for the last month because of the Word of mouth from kids that have watched it online. It's a publicity dream come true, what they miss on video sales, kids have made up in product. It's how it goes with something like that. Whoever talked about bmx videos being lengthy commercials, is absoloutely right. It's a tool to get riders psyched on a company, after all, the riders for a team are supposed to be sales representatives of their respective companies.

This is a roundabout arguement, and is easily by-passable.

Just link to another website that links to the file. easy. People don't want to be blamed with anything cause it might reflect badly upon them, give them a bad reputation. "OH!? a bad reputation?! i'm so scared of people hating me!! I don't want that!!" thats fucked.

America has so called "free speech"? Whats free about it anymore? nothing. Copyrights, and other legal bullshit, is going to bring everything to the ground. undoubtedly. If someone has to seek legal refuge to use a brand name in a magazine, or a book, or on a show, wheres that going to take us? to hell.

I feel like a Evian water right now, oh shit. fucking sue me.

Ban the shit outta me if you want, I'm not fussed. It's more about the fact that media is the one most powerful resource in this world. period. Sure, someone trying to protect their livelihood is one thing, and thats justifyable. People like Chad shackleford should be making the money to put back into videos, cause thats his business. thats his sole purpose income of Shook. to give back to BMX. Which should be supported. But you can't be the watcher of everyone. I love BMX, but it's always been such a free flowing, care free collective of small companies, and crews which have always looked out for each other, and this is showing that some people are losing sight, and getting fucked up cause of what they see on the news. about people suing others.

Banning people on this forum for posting videos isn't going to do anything at all either, it's better to do it on a "At your own risk" basis. or something, or simply delete it straight up, or approve posts of such nature (containing google video links, large youtube links etc.) so you can monitor things that way, cause I'm afraid that the hand, is about to be bitten. FTW

at this moment in the morning at 4am, i'm beyond drunk, but this still has to be one of the most thought out posts i've ever read. I'd hope in my life time to meet the individual who posted such a thing and share thoughts.

You, my friend speak the truth about many things i feel towards BMX in this world. I just hope others can find your point of view. Something leads me to believe i know you, while you remain annonymous through this forum.

BMX needs more beliefs from people like yourself.

Giving back, while expecting nothing in return. Ride-on for life my friend.
Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions- Thomas Jefferson.

Offline b-ran

• View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2006, 07:53:13 AM »
Quote from: bikesarefun
You even said Yar!

+

of couse he did, he's a pirate
BMXFU.

Offline sheepdog

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2006, 12:37:22 PM »
i love watching the U.S citizens reveal their absolute paranoia about being busted by the long arm of 'johnny law'. lame.

You're speaking of not biting the hand that feeds... Well, I don't think that a bmx company is going to risk the PR nightmare, and the possible downfall of it's very target demographic, to sue any person on an internet message board. for posting a video of theirs, online. It's just not worth it for them. Legal fees etc. It all adds up to alot.

I'll mention the fact that most videos use music that is not licenced in anyway, so you were saying what about piracy?

Heres something, Lotek struck gold when their Mixtape was released on Google video. I know for a fact that Lotek stuff has been flying off bikeshop shelves for the last month because of the Word of mouth from kids that have watched it online. It's a publicity dream come true, what they miss on video sales, kids have made up in product. It's how it goes with something like that. Whoever talked about bmx videos being lengthy commercials, is absoloutely right. It's a tool to get riders psyched on a company, after all, the riders for a team are supposed to be sales representatives of their respective companies.

This is a roundabout arguement, and is easily by-passable.

Just link to another website that links to the file. easy. People don't want to be blamed with anything cause it might reflect badly upon them, give them a bad reputation. "OH!? a bad reputation?! i'm so scared of people hating me!! I don't want that!!" thats fucked.

America has so called "free speech"? Whats free about it anymore? nothing. Copyrights, and other legal bullshit, is going to bring everything to the ground. undoubtedly. If someone has to seek legal refuge to use a brand name in a magazine, or a book, or on a show, wheres that going to take us? to hell.

I feel like a Evian water right now, oh shit. fucking sue me.

Ban the shit outta me if you want, I'm not fussed. It's more about the fact that media is the one most powerful resource in this world. period. Sure, someone trying to protect their livelihood is one thing, and thats justifyable. People like Chad shackleford should be making the money to put back into videos, cause thats his business. thats his sole purpose income of Shook. to give back to BMX. Which should be supported. But you can't be the watcher of everyone. I love BMX, but it's always been such a free flowing, care free collective of small companies, and crews which have always looked out for each other, and this is showing that some people are losing sight, and getting fucked up cause of what they see on the news. about people suing others.

Banning people on this forum for posting videos isn't going to do anything at all either, it's better to do it on a "At your own risk" basis. or something, or simply delete it straight up, or approve posts of such nature (containing google video links, large youtube links etc.) so you can monitor things that way, cause I'm afraid that the hand, is about to be bitten. FTW
Wow, what a bunch of bullshit.
How old are you?

Just because a company steals the music, what gives you the right to steal the video?

Also, while they may not sue you, they can, and have asked me to remove it, why should I have to be bothered. If they do sue, I get to goto court along with you, plus, they could ask me to ban you. Notice how much involves ME doing the work because of something YOU did.  Why should my ass be on the line for you. I already do that enough by hosting this place. You have no idea how many cease and desist letters this place gets.

Microsoft made millions off Windows because of Pirates, that does not mean they want to support them.

As has already been mentioned, linking to a site can get you sued. The precedence for this has already been established. 2600 magazine got nailed for this when they posted a link to a site containg the DE-CSS, the code to decrypt DVD's.

As for free speech, that only protects you in your home. NOT on an internet chat board, or even necessarily even in public. It allows you to speak against your government, it does not give you the rightto steal, yell "FIRE" in a crowd or any other such disruptive things.

Media pretty much IS the most powerfull group in the word, and they control the government. Liek it or not. Beingf as such, they have every right legally to come after your ass or mine.

Above all else, this place is MINE. I make the rules, if you do not like them, go fuck yourself. Why should I have to go around deleteing threads every time somone decides they want to post a video, how fast do you think that will get old. It is a simple rule to follow. So what the fuck is your problem. Jeez, grow the hell up.

You seem tyo have absolutely no clue about the outside world, laws and government.

Oh, and as for paranoia, this place has been threatened with legal action more than a few times. Even if I won a lawsuit it could still cost tens of thousands. Paranoia? No, common sense, try not to get sued. Take a look in teh news and see how many people are being sued over stupid shit. You can file a lawsuit against anyone for any reason if you want. Companies know this. They do not even have to win to shut you down, just make it too expensive for you to continue.

Only a moron would not be paranoid about some of the shit happening in our legal system. And the U.S. is not the only one doing stupid things like this.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:40:11 PM by sheepdog »

Offline fairtrade

• View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2006, 01:38:06 PM »
Quote from: sheepdog
How old are you?

Just because a company steals the music, what gives you the right to steal the video?

Also, while they may not sue you, they can, and have asked me to remove it, why should I have to be bothered. If they do sue, I get to goto court along with you, plus, they could ask me to ban you. Notice how much involves ME doing the work because of something YOU did.  Why should my ass be on the line for you. I already do that enough by hosting this place. You have no idea how many cease and desist letters this place gets.

Microsoft made millions off Windows because of Pirates, that does not mean they want to support them.

As has already been mentioned, linking to a site can get you sued. The precedence for this has already been established. 2600 magazine got nailed for this when they posted a link to a site containg the DE-CSS, the code to decrypt DVD's.

As for free speech, that only protects you in your home. NOT on an internet chat board, or even necessarily even in public. It allows you to speak against your government, it does not give you the rightto steal, yell "FIRE" in a crowd or any other such disruptive things.

Media pretty much IS the most powerfull group in the word, and they control the government. Liek it or not. Beingf as such, they have every right legally to come after your ass or mine.

Above all else, this place is MINE. I make the rules, if you do not like them, go fuck yourself. Why should I have to go around deleteing threads every time somone decides they want to post a video, how fast do you think that will get old. It is a simple rule to follow. So what the fuck is your problem. Jeez, grow the hell up.

You seem tyo have absolutely no clue about the outside world, laws and government.

Oh, and as for paranoia, this place has been threatened with legal action more than a few times. Even if I won a lawsuit it could still cost tens of thousands. Paranoia? No, common sense, try not to get sued. Take a look in teh news and see how many people are being sued over stupid shit. You can file a lawsuit against anyone for any reason if you want. Companies know this. They do not even have to win to shut you down, just make it too expensive for you to continue.

Only a moron would not be paranoid about some of the shit happening in our legal system. And the U.S. is not the only one doing stupid things like this.

at this moment in the evening at 7pm, i'm not actually drunk, but this still has to be one of the most thought out posts i've ever read. I'd hope in my life time to meet the individual who posted such a thing and share thoughts.

You, my friend speak the truth about many things i feel towards BMX in this world. I just hope others can find your point of view. Something leads me to believe i know you, while you remain annonymous through this forum.

Offline Crid

• View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2006, 02:17:34 PM »
I believe that BMX videos are a great source of advertising. I also believe that BMX companies have the right to choose wether or not they would rather sell bmx videos as a product, or give them away as advertising.

It's not up to the consumer to choose another companies marketing strategy.

Offline wheelr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2006, 10:58:45 PM »
Quote from: fairtrade
at this moment in the evening at 7pm, i'm not actually drunk, but this still has to be one of the most thought out posts i've ever read. I'd hope in my life time to meet the individual who posted such a thing and share thoughts.

Offline imfreakinsmurf

• View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2006, 11:01:29 PM »
what about drop the hammer?
Ride posted that themselves
Quote from: Mad Monkey;1763462
once you learn to tailwhip you cant flow like chase.

Offline NJM

• View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2006, 11:09:04 PM »
Like it or not, there is always going to be "piracy."

Whether it is involved within this forum or not, is totally up to sheep. I'm pretty sure we're all clear on his views.

Offline sheepdog

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2006, 02:09:20 AM »
Quote from: NJM
Whether it is involved within this forum or not, is totally up to sheep. I'm pretty sure we're all clear on his views.

I am not entirely against it personally.

However BG's host, most definately is and can terminate BG's contract if they find this place promoting it. It is in the terms of service.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 02:12:03 AM by sheepdog »

Offline favouritegame

• Bitches better be usin' jimmies!
    • View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2006, 02:04:38 AM »
I don't know exactly where to begin here, but it's pretty easy to see where it's going to end.

You wan't to keep this place free of disruptions, free of illegally posted videos, and thats fair enough. But you can't expect everyone to play along, and you can't expect everyone to just stomach the fact that people are being told what to do by some words on a computer screen.

How old are you?.....................

....Above all else, this place is MINE. I make the rules, if you do not like them, go fuck yourself. Why should I have to go around deleteing threads every time somone decides they want to post a video, how fast do you think that will get old. It is a simple rule to follow. So what the fuck is your problem. Jeez, grow the hell up.

I don't see what my age has anything to do with this, other than the fact that you obviously think i'm some stupid 16 year old kid. I'm 22, and more than capable of expressing my own opinions, and if you don't like that, so be it. I'd rather go fuck myself than be apart of something that someone pushes to be "theirs". The whole "I'm the Boss" thing isn't going to get you anywhere, and the last thing i want to see, is somewhere in bmx where kids are forced into thinking one way, and saying another, because they don't want to get banned by the 'almighty' mods, or lose their rep. Fuck that.

But thats slightly off topic.

Try that vice versa - what gives them the right to steal music? essentially, thats money for nothing. right?

Nothing gives me the right to steal a video, nothing gives me the right to speed in my car, to swear, or to download music off the internet either. Infact, i have no rights to do anything.

I love bmx, and the industry behind it, and it's media power isn't going to go anywhere sitting idle with everyone milling thoughts about wether or not someones going to sue them. the more companies realise the fact that after a certain amount of time, their videos become redundant, they run out, and become a piece of history, cause face it, BMX videos aren't produced in huge runs, like the latest Hollywood films nowadays. They need all the exposure they can get. I'd almost go as far to put it that these posted videos are almost as important to the growth of bmx as the x-games on tv.

Television is quickly becoming a defunct resource as kids are spending hours and hours on the internet (read: myspace) What if, bmx was able to harness the thoughts/intrests of these kids. yeah? shit would grow. If some kids saw say, The Animal video on google, and they get real psyched on their shit, they'll hunt Animal stuff and get into that aspect. cause they're feeling it. I don't want to endorse the illegal bootlegging of copyrighted material, thats wrong, but for bmx videos, which most are un-copyrighted, some need to look at it in a different perspective. instead of just the bad light. More opportunity could come of the 'foul' act than some think.

I hate to compare to skateboarding, but i can count at least into the twenties of people that i know that have gotten into skating cause of a downloaded version of Girl - Yeah Right! on the net, one of which is now a frequent getting coverage in magazines. What if that happens to bike riding??

For instance, i saw the first Animal video online, i was then psyched on it, so i went and bought the second, and the third, cause i wanted to see that shit in high definition, not 320 x 240 and pixelated. makes sense huh? I took the bait, hook, line and sinker. Good for me, good for BMX.

I don't have any knowledge about the outside world? Or the laws and government? You obviously are unaware of my intrests, and life experiences. Have you delved into my psyche'? ahh, i don't fucking think so. until then, perhaps re-arrange you're approach.

I'm over this topic, say what you will of that.

Offline sheepdog

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2006, 06:39:30 PM »
I don't know exactly where to begin here, but it's pretty easy to see where it's going to end.

You wan't to keep this place free of disruptions, free of illegally posted videos, and thats fair enough. But you can't expect everyone to play along, and you can't expect everyone to just stomach the fact that people are being told what to do by some words on a computer screen.

I don't see what my age has anything to do with this, other than the fact that you obviously think i'm some stupid 16 year old kid. I'm 22, and more than capable of expressing my own opinions, and if you don't like that, so be it. I'd rather go fuck myself than be apart of something that someone pushes to be "theirs". The whole "I'm the Boss" thing isn't going to get you anywhere, and the last thing i want to see, is somewhere in bmx where kids are forced into thinking one way, and saying another, because they don't want to get banned by the 'almighty' mods, or lose their rep. Fuck that.

But thats slightly off topic.

Try that vice versa - what gives them the right to steal music? essentially, thats money for nothing. right?

Nothing gives me the right to steal a video, nothing gives me the right to speed in my car, to swear, or to download music off the internet either. Infact, i have no rights to do anything.

I love bmx, and the industry behind it, and it's media power isn't going to go anywhere sitting idle with everyone milling thoughts about wether or not someones going to sue them. the more companies realise the fact that after a certain amount of time, their videos become redundant, they run out, and become a piece of history, cause face it, BMX videos aren't produced in huge runs, like the latest Hollywood films nowadays. They need all the exposure they can get. I'd almost go as far to put it that these posted videos are almost as important to the growth of bmx as the x-games on tv.

Television is quickly becoming a defunct resource as kids are spending hours and hours on the internet (read: myspace) What if, bmx was able to harness the thoughts/intrests of these kids. yeah? shit would grow. If some kids saw say, The Animal video on google, and they get real psyched on their shit, they'll hunt Animal stuff and get into that aspect. cause they're feeling it. I don't want to endorse the illegal bootlegging of copyrighted material, thats wrong, but for bmx videos, which most are un-copyrighted, some need to look at it in a different perspective. instead of just the bad light. More opportunity could come of the 'foul' act than some think.

I hate to compare to skateboarding, but i can count at least into the twenties of people that i know that have gotten into skating cause of a downloaded version of Girl - Yeah Right! on the net, one of which is now a frequent getting coverage in magazines. What if that happens to bike riding??

For instance, i saw the first Animal video online, i was then psyched on it, so i went and bought the second, and the third, cause i wanted to see that shit in high definition, not 320 x 240 and pixelated. makes sense huh? I took the bait, hook, line and sinker. Good for me, good for BMX.

I don't have any knowledge about the outside world? Or the laws and government? You obviously are unaware of my intrests, and life experiences. Have you delved into my psyche'? ahh, i don't fucking think so. until then, perhaps re-arrange you're approach.

I'm over this topic, say what you will of that.

Hmm, I was only off about 3 years... Who would have thought... :rolleyes:

Anyone who does not play along, gets banned. What do you expect. That is what it all boils down to. It is not a choice for me, I either do this or BG gets shut down.

As for companies stealing music, as I said, just because they steal it, that does not give you the right to steal it as well. Again, 2 wromgs do not make a right. You may not have the right to speed, but you do have the FREEDOM (not right) to drive a car, and you can download songs legally if you look around.

By the way, many large companeis have lawyers on retainer, just in case, and often run EVERYTHING past legal before making a statement or publish anything, why? Because they can be sued so easily.

You can try and justify it all you want , I have heard all the slogans before. The simple truth is that it is wrong. No matter how you justify it, it is theft. Show me how downloadinga  video is not theft and I will side with you, but just because it is old and lost value does not mean it is worthless.

And sorry, but 22 does not exactly imply a world of knowledge. In fact that is not far off the age where people peak in arrogance.

Offline Cat's Pajamas

• The Reverend
    • View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2006, 07:26:17 PM »

Karma is a bitch.

Black by popular demand

Offline kirby

• Flats.
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2006, 07:59:01 PM »
I'm kind of torn here... Sheep does run the place and what not, and we don't have much choice other then to deal with his decisions and what not...

But I've honestly bought a fair amount of videos due to pirated copies I have seen...

And just for the record.... Age isn't the diffinitive charactersitic of knowledge.. It doesn't matter how old, or young you are... I've met 18 year old kids that know far more then many people twice, or even thrice their age...

With the age of the internet... Information is so easilly accessable (good and bad in both ways as noted by this thread) that one can learn about most anything at their own pace... It's no longer dictated to them by a teacher, or scholar, it's waiting there, at their fingertips.

Oh yes.... A post script for this post and a very likely possibility if the market of labels gets their way: How long till it's illegal to whistle/hum/sing a copywrited song? Or is it, possibly, already illegal?

Fuck...

Whatever, just don't post links to shit on here and keep yourself out of trouble.

Deal with it.
"It\'s a popularity contest"

Offline sheepdog

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2006, 09:58:28 PM »
Quote from: kirby

Whatever, just don't post links to shit on here and keep yourself out of trouble.

Deal with it.

Exactly my point, the host does not want it, therefore we have to deal with it.

As for the age thing, I could easily tell how old he was based on his views on doing illegal things. Most older people will not try to justify it like he did.

Offline Phillip Frentsworth

• True O.G. Member
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://
Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2006, 10:32:31 PM »
The one thing I will fully agree with him on is the stealing of music. If someone is going to cut corners and bypass paying for (potentially) thousands of dollars worth of music rights, I have no problem with bypassing paying $30 for the video.
Things can\'t stay new forever, we have to work to keep it together.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

Posting bootleg videos.
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2006, 10:32:31 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello