Multimedia

Author Topic: CS vs. SS brakemounts, and more  (Read 10025 times)

Offline MSBNL

• View Profile
CS vs. SS brakemounts, and more
« on: July 31, 2016, 11:54:53 PM »
Hi all,
Getting a new frame for my trails orientated bike and I have a few questions, seeing as I only got back to riding brakes for like a year or so. I'm now riding my old S&M blackbike with SS mounts and I'm wondering if with CS brakes hitting your foot on the brake with for example tailwhips or nofooters is an issue? Any other reasons to pick one over the other? Second question, for all of you that run gyros, what setup would you reccomend? Specifically torn between dual lower cables or those 2 to 1 cables like the ody G3 cable. Last but not least, I remember hearing of compatibility issues with the Ody Springfield brake, CS brakemounts and gyros (more specifically dual lower cables), did I make this up? Can't seem to find much info on the interwebz so I'm hoping for some BG knowledge, thanks in advance ;)

Offline paranoidmexican

• freeeeeeeestyle
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CS vs. SS brakemounts, and more
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 09:00:00 AM »
I think you'll be fine with either cs or ss brakes. As fit the gyro if you get the Springfield brakes the 2 in 1 cable is the easiest option. Personally I'm running old fly brakes with dual lower cables. I went to Sundays website and bought a cable and just cut it in half.
Perform an act of kindness without posting it to social media. Love one another.

Offline O.G. David

• View Profile
    • http://vimeo.com/user576863
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:08:27 AM »
Chainstay brakes looks so much cleaner, you won't hit your foot on them too.

Offline theboredbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »
The only time I've had any problems with anything catching the brakes was shoelaces or pant leg snagging on the post on the pads. I switched to female bolt pads and haven't had a problem since. Fly, eclat and odyssey make female bolt pads, I do believe sprinfields come with female ghost pads so you should be golden.

Also on a gyro, dual lower cables or no gyro at all. More adjustability and so much smoother/stronger/ less stretch. The dual cable setup I had was better than any straight cable setups I've had. It was odsy dual cable lever (m3?), odsy gtx-r, London mod, fly brakes.
R.I.P. Oz

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 07:41:11 AM »
The Odyssey Ghost pads fucking suck. Avoid.

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 10:35:38 AM »
Fly pads ftw
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline Bunky

• Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 09:19:18 AM »
Chainstay brakes work awesome if you've got the room for them.  If you're running 25/9 gearing, and a super short rear end, you're better off going with seat stay mounted brakes.  Since you mentioned this is for a trails oriented bike, then I'd say longer rear end might make it possible to run something like 30/11 gearing in which case you'll have plenty of room for chainstay brakes.

Dual cables with a gyro all the way!  I don't know why anyone still rides a 2into1 type gyro cable anymore...

I don't see why the Springfield brakes wouldn't be compatible with dual cables, you'd just have to make sure you have 2 knarps for the brake arms. 
Quote from: G
this website is essentially an irrelevant back-water of the internet

Offline MSBNL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 03:44:39 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions,
Indeed a trail orientated bike so I will run the rearwheel at 13,75'' minimum, with 27/9 gearing (might change this up later but for now i've got hub and sprocket sorted). I've got a Ody monolever (not the M2, had an M2 back in the days and may get one again), Ody GTX-R gyro, Springfield brake with clear baradine brakepads, salt uppercable, and for now the 2to1 type lowercable since it was 6 euros, but I will try dual lowers and see how they work with springfields. Still no frame though, but reading all the comments I decided to not include brake position a determining variable for the frame purchase, which opens up more options :) Female bolt brakepads is a good tip! Will look into that as well.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:47:48 PM by MSBNL »

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 05:39:58 AM »
I ride a gyro (Impurity) with dragonfly-style upper cable and dual lower. My friend rides the 2-1 kind and I prefer his aestethically. Mine is just all over the place while his is more tidy and sits flush to the bike. Prefer mine when working on the bike though, especially since I hate cable hangers.

For me the dual upper cable is more worth it than dual lower.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline Hairfarmer

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 02:47:05 AM »
I've been riding dual lowers for years but I got a new frame recently and it has removable brake guides that only use one tiny allen bolt to hold them on. I'm worried that I'll rip it off if I catch my foot on the brake bastard I have. Been using a 2 into one cable which is fine but doesn't feel as good as dual cables.

Offline theboredbmxer

• View Profile
R.I.P. Oz

Offline Hairfarmer

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »
I've seen those before but I can't understand why there are 3 holes. Surely you want 2 only or 1 only.

I'm also quite attached to my brake bastard because it's cool and has swears on it!

Offline theboredbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 04:26:40 AM »
Eh, its supposed to be so you can use it for both but it ends up looking bulky. T1s had that style of cable stop for a bit, and I had a mutiny that had that style also. It worked awesome for both, especially the dual cable. I think for single I'd use the single stop tho.
R.I.P. Oz

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 04:26:40 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello