Multimedia

Author Topic: Measuring Fork Symmetry  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
Measuring Fork Symmetry
« on: July 06, 2016, 03:05:17 PM »
My pitch are crooked or something. My wheel isn't centered and putting it in another set it is. How do I measure the varying componentary to figure out whether the legs or dropouts are affected?

Offline torontoflatlander

• Veteran
  • This guy
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Fresh Pinch;3592393
No one likes a salty member.

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
Re: Measuring Fork Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 11:34:30 AM »
http://www.parktool.com/product/frame-and-fork-end-alignment-gauge-set-ffg-2?category=Frame%20&%20Fork

most bike shops should have a pair

doesn't that tool assume that the fork is made correctly, and it's just aligning it so that you tighten your stem at exactly 90 degrees to the wheel....?

i have definitely seen bmx forks where it looks like one fork leg is slightly in front of the other one, even when the front wheel axle is 90 degrees to the top tube and the front wheel is not bolted in crooked....

Offline torontoflatlander

• Veteran
  • This guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 05:14:27 PM »
http://www.parktool.com/product/frame-and-fork-end-alignment-gauge-set-ffg-2?category=Frame%20&%20Fork

most bike shops should have a pair

doesn't that tool assume that the fork is made correctly, and it's just aligning it so that you tighten your stem at exactly 90 degrees to the wheel....?

i have definitely seen bmx forks where it looks like one fork leg is slightly in front of the other one, even when the front wheel axle is 90 degrees to the top tube and the front wheel is not bolted in crooked....

This is not the tool you're thinking of. (This might be - http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/tune-spurtreu-alignment-tool-for-handlebar-stem-412172)

This is to match the sqareness and concentricity of the dropouts. The way they're made, you can tell pretty easily if your dropouts are square to eachother, both face forward at 90 degrees to where the hub interfaces with the dropouts, and if one dropout is sitting higher or lower than the other. On rare occasions (Usually Aluminum only), you'll be able to use these tools to straighten out minor bends. They're really wonderful things. I just haven't added them to my toolbox because, thru-axles and carbon are my world now.
Quote from: The Fresh Pinch;3592393
No one likes a salty member.

Offline bsd510

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 04:25:08 PM »
You can use a piece of string and hold it in the middle of the head tube and see if the other end of the string is equidistant to each dropout tip. Not the most precise but it works

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 11:03:03 PM »
You can use a piece of string and hold it in the middle of the head tube and see if the other end of the string is equidistant to each dropout tip. Not the most precise but it works

Speaking of precision, how do you determine your piece of string is at the radius?

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 11:03:03 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello