Multimedia

Author Topic: Eclat blind freecoaster issues - halp  (Read 8691 times)

Offline dude...

• View Profile
Eclat blind freecoaster issues - halp
« on: April 21, 2016, 03:49:23 AM »
Ok so my mate got a wtp envy complete today, which came with an eclat blind hub.

i took the hub apart to see if we could switch it over to lhd for him, turns out you need a set of lhd pawls for it. bit of a pain in the arse but ok.

however since putting it back together it just wont run properly. either it makes horrendous grinding scraping noises and locks up, or it wont engage at all. ive managed to find fuck all documentation about the hub (seems like its discontinued now), and although theres a video about how to switch it from rhd to lhd, theres no mention of the resistance system and how to tune that in.

as far as i can tell, you adjust the resistance by adjusting those grub screws on the metal thing that sits behind the driver, so it drags a little bit but not too much. i dont know that for certain cos i couldnt find any explaination of how it works online-seems eclat and wtp have both switched over to yuhubs now (probably cos they got fed up with dealing with this stupid system).

Ive tryed adjusting the grubs screws but the ring wont create drag consistantly, like itll drag at one position but then just spins freely the rest of the time and wont engage. 2 of the grub screws stripped out instantly as soon as i put an allen key in them, and the rest i just cant get sorted.

am i missing something here and being dumb? or is this really just a fuckin stupid flimsy shitty coaster mechanism? i heard some people had problems (mostly with the spring that sits over the pawls), and i heard other people say these hubs were great.

im fuckin over it, and over eclat. all that marketing spew on their website about simplicity, yeah back to the catalogue clone parts cos your product design team sucks (this bike also has those stupid slotted spindle cranks on it-a mechanism which seems to infact make it harder to get the crankarm off because if some goon in the bikeshop cranks it down when they build the bike up, you still have to belt the arm off with a rubber mallet for like 5 minutes anyway)

anyway thats my story/rant, any help would be greatly appreciated. if anyone owns one of these hubs aftermarket and has the instructions that come with it they could scan in, that would be amazing too.

thanks xxx
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Eclat blind freecoaster issues - halp
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:48:59 AM »
From what I recall, the friction bushing thing(the thing the grub screws tighten on to) is pretty much useless without the cone nut being tight. Its been a while but I think the bushing is ultimately held in place via tension from the cone nut, and the grub screws adjust the resistance of the driver. Also, those slotted spindles were recalled and replaced with standard (Tibia?) spindles, so I would get a hold of the shop he got it from and try and source a proper spindle.

Offline Horror Contact

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »
Eclat has also said they were making a completely new driver and internals. Driver was supposed to have individual springs, was also said it was free to all owners of the Blind hub. Unfortunately there has been nothing new about these new internals and what it seems like is, they left everyone hanging , discontinued the hub and focus just on the Cortex coaster.  Eclat seemed to respond quickly in the beginning when the Blind came out but since asking about getting the replacements, its been months and still no reply.   
REFS-
Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9 (2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 06:58:45 PM »
ok cool, ill have another play with it today and see if i can sort it. ill also email eclat and see what they say. the complete bike is the older model but the specs are awesome besides these two parts. the shop he got it was not a bmx only shop, just a regular bike shop and the guys there didnt have a clue what they were talking about, so i doubt they will be much help

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 07:39:22 PM »
Eclat has also said they were making a completely new driver and internals. Driver was supposed to have individual springs, was also said it was free to all owners of the Blind hub. Unfortunately there has been nothing new about these new internals and what it seems like is, they left everyone hanging , discontinued the hub and focus just on the Cortex coaster.  Eclat seemed to respond quickly in the beginning when the Blind came out but since asking about getting the replacements, its been months and still no reply.

do you have a source/evidence for where eclat said they would replace the blind hub with the new model? id like to have a copy to send them just in case theyre like "yeah nahhh"

Offline Horror Contact

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 10:02:12 AM »
Its was on TheMerged many months ago, I dont remember what site listed info about them sending replacements parts for free.. I purchased mine from dancomp and when calling for the new parts, they had no idea what Eclat was talking about.  http://themerged.com/eclat-blind-hub-updated-internals/     That link shows some info, Ill repost the other if I can find it. If you do get in contact with Eclat, please post back cause I havent heard anything
REFS-
Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9 (2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 02:35:52 AM »
From what I heard they did update the internals. I think the guys in my local shop got a batch in with updated internals but they didnt work perfect either, which might be why they discontinued the oh so hyped coaster just after release.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 10:08:59 PM »
so bmxinternational, eclats distro down under were super nice and sent me both a set of lhd pawls, and a replacement axle for the cranks (normal splined style with no slotted weirdness). so good on them.

Dont know if the pawls will sort the coaster out but it was still ruddy decent of them so i figured i would let you guys know

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 10:08:59 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello