Multimedia

Author Topic: Harry Main Explains  (Read 26088 times)

Offline dude...

• View Profile
Harry Main Explains
« on: January 14, 2016, 06:10:23 PM »
http://www.vitalbmx.com/features/Harry-Main-Explains,5727

pretty humourous all of this, harry main all upset because the core bmx brands whove been around for years and are in it for the good times wont respect his monster energy fuelled skatepark jockeying and being a billboard for rocker mini bmx, so now hes going to follow the eastern/ezra model cutting out shops and distros. good plan.

might as well just quit riding and get into gym life and body suppliments like spinner and all the other washed up comp jocks, i mean ex pro extreme athletes
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline LukeTom

• View Profile
Re: Harry Main Explains
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 07:35:27 PM »
He goes on and on about how shops are damaging the BMX industry because they are selling expensive parts (which they mark up) and how making online direct sales will get more kids into riding, but at the same time he doesn't mention how these shops are also a hub for the scene of an area. Clearly he cares so much about the scene; he takes enough money out of it to buy himself a new R8

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 08:31:40 PM »
I'm glad that almost all sections of bmx are still alive. The street shit still seems most prevalent. No one is man enough to ride vert anymore. The tv skatepark shit still lives though if Harry Main can sell bikes through Amazon and eBay.

Offline DontcallmeKenneth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 08:42:43 PM »
Doesn't he own a r8 or a gtr? Gotta have get the money to pay for those thangs

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 10:49:33 PM »
he put his name on those rocker mini bmxes ffs. im sure theyre made by the same people responsible for ukbikeco/amity/mafia bikes. cash in by ripping off kids then fuck off when they realise your parts are shit

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 10:55:18 PM »
remember when he used to post on here, before he got his signature khe complete?

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 03:36:49 AM »
I remember when he was posting here, some other guy local to his area shut him down saying about how him and his mates had gone around knocking on doors saying they were collecting for charity but keeping all the cash.

edit: I actually read the article, jesus christ. I'm not surprised someone has done the direct sales thing as it is huge in the MTB / Road market (Canyon / Rose / YT etc) but my god he's arrogant about it. Maybe 12 year olds have a different view than me.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:45:02 AM by Dr. Steve Brule »

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 04:16:10 AM »
he doesn't mention how these shops are also a hub for the scene of an area.

Still though?.... not convinced.

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 04:21:06 AM »
Scrap the entire interview and replace it with "I'll do owt for a fiver" and it's still very much the same.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 05:29:16 AM »
I tend to cringe when I hear about people talking about BMX companies and teams. If the conversation between Vans and Harry went as he said it seems a bit childish. Its just money and sponsorship, why would you have to build a core team and feel used etc, its just business.

If I was a company and had a sponsored riders where one guy is doing his own thing but is still being noticed and showcasing my product while I dont pay him much for it, then what is the problem for me? Can still have a core team and sponsor other riders.

Anyway, let him do his own thing. Ezra and those guys didnt break the industry, are they even still around? Think KHE is somewhat trying to do the same thing. If/when it fails for him in the future he will have a slightly harder time getting new sponsors.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline LukeTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 08:11:58 AM »
he doesn't mention how these shops are also a hub for the scene of an area.

Still though?.... not convinced.

I still think bike shops are an important part of the BMX industry, perhaps its an antiquated view and perhaps not the 'hub' but an integral part. I know bike shops which sponsor jams etc. not to mention that from where I am, they sell probably 50% of the completes to kids (which tend to last much longer than the internet brought ones). Maybe we are moving away from this, but I still think it is somewhat important to retain. Certainly more important than jumping on the internet cash cow like Mr. Main has done.

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 09:57:38 AM »
cut the shops out and you'll need a credit card

how many youngsters have one?

Danno

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 02:25:17 PM »
He can do what he wants, the core group of riders see straight through it and complete sales were dropping before Mafia spawned from the Amity Bike Co shit show anyway.

What I find frustrating is his explanation that 'a bike costs probably a third of the price of what they think it costs, that they can buy it from me for that price' - that's fucking bullshit! Mafia are adding their markup onto there and his royalty too. It's almost like he is trying to paint himself as a patron saint of cheap BMX for kids, when they are doing no different than the distros and stores themselves by adding margin on to operate as a business.

I think a better explanation is needed for the kids who read that and think that shops are out to screw them - it's covered pretty well in an article by The Union but I'm not sure that demographic will ever read it.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 02:44:26 PM by Danno »

Offline manwe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 02:31:22 PM »
what an incoherent bunch of bollocks. i went into this having respect for harry main's riding, if not for his mark webb-lite image, but it took about two paragraphs for him to prove himself a rambling idiot.

the uk already has the shittiest bmx image there is, if he wants to make it even worse that's on his conscience.

i'd personally rather bmx was a sport of elitist luddites that are down for life than the hallmark of chavs before they can afford their first mopeds.

Danno

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 04:01:19 PM »

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 04:01:19 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special