Multimedia

Author Topic: Remember how a few arm-chair engineers called this out? Well who'd a thunk it..  (Read 49411 times)

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
1. Our return rate on cranks was never higher than 10% at the very most. The suggestion that ALL the first gen Wombolts were "made wrong" is ridiculous, there are still first gen cranks out there being used now and we will STILL warranty them if they ever do break because that's what "lifetime" warranty means.

2. We sell/sold a shit-ton of cranks, but have never needed to do a product recall.

My main reason for making this thread was to inform any owners of these cranks that they were being recalled by the manufacturer. And given that even the manufacturer isnt trying to defend the design it seems weird anyone on here unrelated to them would really be that arsed about trying to defend it...

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
Can you hazard an approximate numerical value for "a shit ton"? Only for my own or others curiosity.

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
Can you hazard an approximate numerical value for "a shit ton"? Only for my own or others curiosity.

a metric shit ton is about a ball-hair more than a fuckload.

i hope that helps.

Offline Alice Glass

• is a schmuck
    • View Profile
pretty tacky to be chatting shit about other companies...
nobody is a genius like you G

1. Our return rate on cranks was never higher than 10% at the very most. The suggestion that ALL the first gen Wombolts were "made wrong" is ridiculous, there are still first gen cranks out there being used now and we will STILL warranty them if they ever do break because that's what "lifetime" warranty means.

2. We sell/sold a shit-ton of cranks, but have never needed to do a product recall.

My main reason for making this thread was to inform any owners of these cranks that they were being recalled by the manufacturer. And given that even the manufacturer isnt trying to defend the design it seems weird anyone on here unrelated to them would really be that arsed about trying to defend it...

G.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile

a metric shit ton is about a ball-hair more than a fuckload.

i hope that helps.

It does! I had no idea that scrotum follicle made the difference in them producing a fuckload or not. Wish I had some to contribute.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:18:02 PM by Prodigal Son »

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile

I don't see the problem. This is a public forum, anyone could rebut him if they had a leg to stand on

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
pretty tacky to be chatting shit about other companies...
nobody is a genius like you G

G.

I'm a pretty tacky guy and inclined to say "fuck it" a little more these days. I still hold my tongue 95% of the time, still haven't called out the *** forks that did so scarily badly in the fatigue tests, etc, but when there is a public recall on something and this website is essentially an irrelevant back-water of the internet it doesn't seem that important...

G.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Bunky

• Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Is it weird that I kind of like the fact that Bikeguide is kind of becoming the hidden secret of bmx again.

We need some more shit talking like the good ol days.  Where's Philip and Jasper when we need them?
Quote from: G
this website is essentially an irrelevant back-water of the internet

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

G.

Isn't 10% a high return rate? Obvs not recall levels but hardly a shining example.

I'm also dubious that the main reason you made the thread was concern for the owners of these cranks but if you say so.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:02:17 PM by Kinchy »
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
i think that part of teh issue with the older style wombolts is the climate in which they were released. it wasnt cultifornia 4 pegs smash your bike off a ledge for 3 hours then go blast a 20 stair on pitta bread tyres. wombolts came out when it mandatory to include a weight as a part of your bike check, and i think the design suffered due to having to be released in a market where if a product was too heavy it just wouldnt sell.
odyssey have always been sweet about their warranties, and subsequently revised the cranks beefing them up considerably. ive not heard of any thunderbolts break (although maybe the market share suffered as a result of the earlier models breaking so theres less out there to break). basically any steel crank is going to break at somepoint, unless you run powerbites instead (and even then they break sometimes if you put them on wrong or your xLaZx), at least odyssey hook you up if theirs do break which is one of the main reasons why i like to support them, even if theyre totally not cool in the bmx nerd scene anymore
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline alaskun

• View Profile
This is a public forum, anyone could rebut him if they had a leg to stand on
this is why I built my ratchet up to an alienation rim

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
heh I'd forgotten about that

Offline DAKINS

• Just ride your damn bike.
    • View Profile
Hahaha because no one ever broke any thing gsport or odyssey. Bike parts break. Get off yer high horse Georgie. I don't think I could name one of my friends that had wombolts or twombolts that didn't  break them.

It's a good thing we aren't friends then.  My OG first batch wombolts are still getting used daily.

Drunk Jays fan

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
I had a pair of very old un broken Twombolts. They didnt stay on my bike super long because of that stupid built in adapter. I understand the why behind it, but holy shit did it ever fuck with my crank/chain alignment. My left crankarm was twice as far from the CS as the right. Also, ankle bite. I couldnt ride for a while because I kept goring my shit on those things.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
I had a pair of very old un broken Twombolts. They didnt stay on my bike super long because of that stupid built in adapter. I understand the why behind it, but holy shit did it ever fuck with my crank/chain alignment. My left crankarm was twice as far from the CS as the right. Also, ankle bite. I couldnt ride for a while because I kept goring my shit on those things.

Weird. Especially about the ankle bite, Wom/Twom/Thunderbolts all have amazing ankle clearance compared to other cranks, it was a major design consideration.

G.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special