Multimedia

Author Topic: Woodworking as a job  (Read 8048 times)

Offline Goliath

• View Profile
Woodworking as a job
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:15:20 PM »
I need some advice! I know some of you are into woodworking and carpentry so I hope you can assist me! I recently completed a carpentry/woodworking program at a local college and I totally loved it. With this course that I took, the draw to it was that they said I was guaranteed a spot in the Carpenter's Union (Local 27), which seems like an awesome opportunity.

During the program our classes took place in a woodworking shop and we completed a number of cabinetry, furniture and general woodworking projects. We touched upon basic construction (forming, framing, etc). I knew Local 27 was mainly focused on the construction side of carpentry but I thought there must be some woodworking companies out there that are unionized. However, once I completed the course, got into the union and attended some orientations and union meetings, it became evident that if I wanted to continue woodworking, it would have to be as a hobby. Local 27 told me that if I wanted to work at a woodworking company, my hours wouldn't go towards my apprenticeship and therefor I wouldn't get the benefits of being in the union.

I've worked construction over the past few winters when there is no work at the bike shop. It is definitely a good steady job and the work is not bad at all. However, I don't see it as a career. I can do it, but it isn't for me. I will do it for the time being (although the union has nothing available for at least a year here in Toronto for first year apprentices).

So does anyone know how to get into working in a wood shop? Because the course I took was awesome but misleading. Better yet, does anyone in the GTA know of any places I can apply to or where to go from here?

Offline paranoidmexican

• freeeeeeeestyle
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Woodworking as a job
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »
I don't know much about wood working, but maybe try another town/state for job opportunities that interest you?
Perform an act of kindness without posting it to social media. Love one another.

Offline lil bawbee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 05:38:33 PM »
I dont know where you are but around here ZERO cabinet/ finish woodwork shops are union and probably 50% pay minimum wage. 100% of the union carpenters do framing drywall and concrete forms.

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 03:46:35 PM »
You ever think about just restoring/renovating old furniture? I have a friend who does that as a side job and he pulls in a good amount of money from time to time just doing that independently.

I think he does small jobs for people looking for his services through craiglist or something but mostly he just buys old artisan furniture thats in eh condition, restores them and triples the price or somethin. It goes without saying his house is in hoarder condition because of all the furniture he didn't sell that takes up a lot of space.

Offline BilboBaggins

• Formerly Mike Oxlong, Formerly barcodebilly, Formerly Billy, Bg Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 04:51:49 PM »
I dont know where you are but around here ZERO cabinet/ finish woodwork shops are union and probably 50% pay minimum wage. 100% of the union carpenters do framing drywall and concrete forms.

I work for a 180 man usa made cabinet shop that does new construction and we are non union. The majority of our crew (basic training, non motivated complacent people) make 9-10. However if you work your way up to operate our high end machines or become a department manager you can make out decent especially with all of our overtime.

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 03:43:01 PM »
all depends what you do, Like billy said he is in a Cabinet shop, then there are carpenters which yes build homes, then there are finish carpenters that do trim work and stair cases. I woodwork as a hobby, billy and Alex have seen some of my work. It stays a hobby but I have managed to pull a few clients that I get work from, from time to time. All depends what you want to do

Offline Alex.

• usually drunk.
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 knucks deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 07:22:07 PM »
Like people have mentioned... you're not going to find a union "wood working" job. You'll have to be a trimmer/framer/carpenter. I worked for the government as mostly a trim carpenter but had to frame, do concrete work and other random shit a carpenter shouldn't have to do for a while before I realized I hated it.

I love shit like that in my free time and on my own time, but day to day, working out in the blistering cold/hot... No thanks. SO I quit doing that, even though I went to school for it. But it is nice having the knowledge because I can do my own projects at home or do smaller jobs for randos and make some cash. Live and learn.
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 10:23:19 PM »
I took a few classes for it in high school. Really enjoyed cabinet making, not so much the construction side of things, but it did give me a solid skill set to be able to do projects I want/need to do.

A friend of mine got hired on by a cabinet making company, think he started around 13 an hour straight out of high school, he's still there 6 years later and only making 16 an hour. I guess it's like having a job in a bike shop, shitty pay, but if you genuinely enjoy it then it's not a bad go.
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline Goliath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 12:11:13 AM »
Well it's quite annoying because I know those ideal jobs are out there. And working as a cabinet maker making minimum wage doesn't sound appealing. Union carpentry sites seem hard as fuck and very intimidating. I feel like you're pretty much working in a coal mine/oil rig or something and it's not what I want to do at all!

Offline BilboBaggins

• Formerly Mike Oxlong, Formerly barcodebilly, Formerly Billy, Bg Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 07:10:10 AM »
2.5 years later I'm making double minimum wage and going to be at 20 by the years end the way things are going. It's what you make of it. In my case it's cool for now but i am going to need to find something else/more here shortly.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:12:31 AM by BilboBaggins »

Offline Arttu

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 08:18:31 AM »
I have a BA in furniture design and I'm currently studying architecture, but my true passion is in designing and making furniture.

My plan at the moment is to finish my architecture degree and work as an architect. I'll also start buying used woodworking machinery whenever I find a good deal. My parents have a huge barn/garage thing, where I can set up a shop, rent free (at least for now). My dream is to one day have a decent debt free shop where I can make stuff part time, and maybe some day full time. It might take 10 or 20 years, but doing it slowly with the security of a steady income from architecture, it might be possible. And if I only end up doing it as a hobby, I'm okay with that.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 08:18:31 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special