Multimedia

Author Topic: Brakes on wide frames  (Read 8068 times)

Offline Jared Pabis

• View Profile
Brakes on wide frames
« on: September 14, 2015, 11:29:40 AM »
I have owned a couple of frames with wider rear ends to accommodate bigger tires.  Setting up brakes on these frames has been a challenge.  To make it all work, I have to run a lot of spacers between the pad and brake arm.  Otherwise the ends of the brake arms contact one another when the cable is pulled.  The bike I'm currently running is a FBM Angel of Death.

I'm not sure if it is the pad spacing, or the distance between the brake posts, but a lot of mechanical advantage is lost. 

I tried a few different brakes: Odyssey Evo II, OG Fly's, Eclat Unit, and a old Tektro.  In addition to the brake itself, I have tried the following pads:  Odyssey Slim By Four (both red and black), Dia Tech Green, Eclat clear, Ghost pads clear, Kool Stop Eagle II black, Kool Stop "BMX" in salmon, and Kool Stop Tectonics.

The best set up has proven to be the old Tektro with black Slim by Fours.  Even though its dated and flexy, the arms are longer which provides more leverage.  They still don't work great. 

Has anyone found a brake that works well on wide frames?  Has any company talked about addressing this issue?  G ?

*Update*

As per some suggestions, I bought Odyssey Springfields.  The arms are a bit longer than other brakes which allows for better modulation.  I am running clear Eclat pads with decent sized spacers.  It's grabbing really well and I can lock up with one finger.  The arms don't seem to flex that much.  The only thing I'm worried about is the longevity of the brake spring.  At full pull its pretty maxed out since the arms are already far apart because of the wide spaced brake posts. 

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:30:40 AM by Jared Pabis »

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Brakes on wide frames
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 12:31:19 PM »
I have the exact same issue with my Solid to the point that it makes me want to get rid of an otherwise very good frame. However, I fear that most modern frames have the same problem.

I noticed on my frame that the brake mounts are welded closer to the outside of the stays as opposed to every frame I had before where the mounts were welded in the center.

Offline The Outsider

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 12:43:16 PM »
Best brakes I've found for these wide frames/tires are the Odyssey Springfields with the clear pads. Better than the Demolition sealed bearings, better than the Evos I used to love. It may sound crazy since they're priced at $18, but the proof is in the pudding. Super low profile and the most tire clearance.

I've been riding BMX for a hot minute now and been rocking a rear brake for nearly the entire time. Sole reason I even joined BG back in '03 was to figure out how to get my brakes as dialed as possible, and subsequently, became a brake nut.

I'm currently riding an FBM Steadfast, 2.35" tire, set of Springfields, clear pads, Odyssey Monolever, Tree 44" cable with a black Odyssey Aerospace rim. Brakes lock up with one finger for all of my fufs, feel fantastic, and are the easiest to setup.

ETA: forgot I have an Eclat hanger going between the Tree cable and Sprigfields, if that matters. Only reason I stopped using the Quik Slics was due to the CS brakes on the Steadfast not working correctly with em. Quik Slic cables rule for cheap if you have SS mounts.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 01:12:16 PM by The Outsider »

Offline meathead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »
sorry i cant help but i have the exact same problem with my AOD and eclat caliper.

surely there must be an answer?

Offline Jared Pabis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:50:21 PM »
Best brakes I've found for these wide frames/tires are the Odyssey Springfields with the clear pads. Better than the Demolition sealed bearings, better than the Evos I used to love. It may sound crazy since they're priced at $18, but the proof is in the pudding. Super low profile and the most tire clearance.

I've been riding BMX for a hot minute now and been rocking a rear brake for nearly the entire time. Sole reason I even joined BG back in '03 was to figure out how to get my brakes as dialed as possible, and subsequently, became a brake nut.

I'm currently riding an FBM Steadfast, 2.35" tire, set of Springfields, clear pads, Odyssey Monolever, Tree 44" cable with a black Odyssey Aerospace rim. Brakes lock up with one finger for all of my fufs, feel fantastic, and are the easiest to setup.

Thanks for the insight.  G noted in another post that Springfields were designed around larger tires.   For the price, they're worth trying out.

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 08:34:45 PM »
Another vote for Springfields. They don't have the sex appeal of an expensive caliper, but they get the job done and they do it cheap.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 11:16:49 PM »
i had a springfield on my aod for a little bit and from what i remember it worked fine. ironically though ive been riding brakeless again pretty much since i got the frame, still glad i got welded lugs on though just in case
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 03:51:32 AM »
I run Fly brakes on a Fit BF with no issues. I've not noticed any difference between this and any other frame. FWIW the mounts are welded.
Hangovers and trains

Offline GUMP_

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 04:09:17 AM »
My aod is stupidly large in the rear tire clearance area too. I'm running fly classicos (or whatever they where called) with a fly hanger. And black odyssey pads

Besides having to swap a shit load of spacers around on the pads to get them set up, they seem fine. I don't have as much play in the arm movement as what I would with my old frames but they lock the back tire up fine

Offline CMB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 07:03:38 AM »
I had the same issue when I got my Solid frame as well and was running Evo 2s. I  wound up picking up the Demolition Vulcan V2s. The arms are spaced out a good amount from each other so they don't touch when the brakes are pulled. Give them a shot, it fixed my problem and its been gravy ever since. I can get you a picture if you want.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 07:07:14 AM by CMB »
refs: Alice Glass, laloest33, Rusty, mphelps, .SIN., milhous, jaymeatsack, CHROME_RIMS_YO, LittleDevil661, Piffery, Trvsty, Patty, toady, shutta, cb4130, Black Miguel, BGB, onewaystu, Bunky, arcadecycles, LeonLikesToRock & more!

Offline nwcstn

• British Juggalo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:50:22 PM »
I think the new fly brakes are supposta work with wide rear ends. I had the same problem on my frame and had to file down the arms to get the pad to hit the rim before the arms hit. Wide rear triangles suck.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:50:22 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special