Multimedia

Author Topic: Odyssey Thunderbolt Woes  (Read 14376 times)

Offline The Outsider

• View Profile
    • http://
Odyssey Thunderbolt Woes
« on: September 05, 2015, 09:16:40 AM »
Can't get my Thunderbolts off of the bike, and I'm stumped. I use the anti seize compound included with the cranks, I've removed them 2-3 times before, but this time it's like they're welded on. I need to replace my old sprocket and these otherwise great cranks have thrown a wrench in the works.

I've used a rubber mallet to smack the arms, nothing has budged. I've used the 17mm hex arm to hit the spindle (small enough to avoid the cluster) and no movement. Even tapped on the spindle bolt, nothing, but don't want on beat on that important threaded bolt.

Only thing I can think is some WD 40 and let it sit, but I really don't like WD40 anywhere near my bike. Anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? Suggestions?

Last question, what would be a better option for an anti seize compound? I have a big tube of Phil Wood grease and no more of the included anti seize compound. Would that work? Not psyched on being unable to get these cranks off, and really not psyched on whatever that bronze stuff was. Wanna get out and shred soon, not be ordering crap online/waiting for labor day weekend to be over.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:25:04 AM by The Outsider »

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
Re: Odyssey Thunderbolt Woes
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 09:33:02 AM »
Wack the bolt.  Just make sure you have a few threads in the spindle
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline 14thStbikes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 09:52:16 AM »
Seconded whacking the bolt. You can try some penetrating fluid, but get that all cleaned up and everything well greased after. The copper antisieze works great, but that one little packet isn't enough if you removed and re installed your cranks 2-3 times.

Offline The Outsider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »
Thanks dudes, smacking the hell out of that bolt finally worked. Had to use the WD40 and let it sit, now cleaning it up.

Yeah, I'm completely out of that copper antiseize. What's a good alternative I could use/find locally? Would Phil Wood work? Anything easy to find at a hardware store or bike shop?

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »
Back the bolt out two turns and hop on the bike. Bunnyhop once or twice and they'll come flying off. Bunnyhop with the right pedal forward and with the left pedal forward. This works for me every time.

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 10:22:30 AM »
Thanks dudes, smacking the hell out of that bolt finally worked. Had to use the WD40 and let it sit, now cleaning it up.

Yeah, I'm completely out of that copper antiseize. What's a good alternative I could use/find locally? Would Phil Wood work? Anything easy to find at a hardware store or bike shop?
Don't use grease--you need antiseize for this (though grease is better than nothing). Any automotive parts store will have anti-seize available. Sometimes they even have it in the little tubes so you don't have to buy a whole bottle.

Offline RighteousBMX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »
I've used Phil Wood on my Twombolts for years no, no problems here.

Offline 14thStbikes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 11:19:27 AM »
A pep boys/autozone type store will have copper antisieze for sure. They generally have little packets of it by the parts counter.

Offline The Outsider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 11:23:09 AM »
Just picked a jar of anti seize up from the local auto parts store. Fairly cheap too. Not sure why I thought this stuff was so specialized/rare. Thanks BG, you helped me learn something new today and hopefully avoid this hassle in the future.

\m/(>_<)\m/

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 03:07:59 PM »
Back the bolt out two turns and hop on the bike. Bunnyhop once or twice and they'll come flying off. Bunnyhop with the right pedal forward and with the left pedal forward. This works for me every time.

this is the trick
bunnyhop with your other foot forward

Offline Oddity

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 08:19:42 PM »
This was stated by G awhile ago and works great.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 03:48:50 AM »
used to always do that when i had wombolts
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline Rockhard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 06:21:09 AM »
In the future, use a profile GDH tool. Same thread!

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 05:36:06 AM »
I dunno why you'd need a tool when you can just bunny hop

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 06:12:52 AM »
Isnt there a minor risk of doing minor damage to the crank when bunnyhopping it loose rather than using tools?
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 06:12:52 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello