Multimedia

Author Topic: Odyssey Clutch Teardown?  (Read 55820 times)

Offline Allah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Odyssey Clutch Teardown?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2015, 04:20:32 PM »
Looks really well thought out G, nice one.

Although I don't know whether any of the kids ride trails any more :(
"Who knows what Ruben actually does?" Garrett Byrnes

45th Generation Roman.

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »
So, on a scale of 1 to 10, for a first time freecoaster user; would you rate this hub as easy or hard to maintain?

I think eliminating any back pedaling would be great since i'm in my 30's.

This is the easiest design of any freecoaster hub to maintain. You can literally bolt it on and ride it without needing to grease or adjust cone tension or repack the bearings after a week. I'd give it a 1/10.

The only thing a beginner would maybe want to adjust is the slack seen on G's youtube how-to by simply turning the allen screw from the outside of the hub.

What's cool though is you will have G posting youtube videos in the near future that will show the internals and hopefully how they all fit together, which can be tricky at first to newcomers. Props on this. That being said, there are already a few unofficial videos of past KHE style hub teardowns that can be found on youtube.

According to my source, the hubs are already in the US and on their way to shops as we speak!
They should be arriving on Monday afternoon to shops.

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2015, 06:57:46 PM »
sheepdog and a few others here are involved with 3d printing stuff...

3d files for the plastic bits?

No.
Most 3D printers will only print PLA or ABS which just aren't suitable, most home machines also wont achieve a good enough tolerance or surface finish.

I always thought G had a deeper voice.

Actually liked the video got a better idea of the hub

More like something nerdy from the BBC. When does does it arrive in CANADA.

Not sure on Canada, probably about the same time as the USA.

G: amazing looking product. worthy upgrades to a traditional khe

questions:
What is the listed weight? What are the bolt sizes and tpi being used? thanks!

It annoys me when people refer to any axial design as a KHE clone. The axial clutch design goes back nearly a hundred years in coaster brake hubs. We (BMXers) were taking the brake shoes out of coaster hubs over 30 years ago. ACS were making the RL hub about 30 years ago too. Even the Odyssey Reloader pre-dates the KHE by a significant margin. The Poverty hub had the ball springs long before the KHE hub came out (though they were welded instead of screwed), and I think that that was just an off the shelf hub so I have no idea who came out with those. 
What did KHE bring to the party? They have a patent on their through axle gap adjustment (though Yu Hub claim this was their idea) and that is about it?

is the driver just running on the needle bearing? How is the load of the drive side bearing transfered to the axle? Can't really tell from the pictures

Yes. The driver only runs on a needle bearing inside and the usual angular contact bearing around the outside to the shell. The axial loads on the wheel are NOT transferred to the axle through the driver at all, this is how we can eliminate the 6802's and be certain that the driver bearings wont explode. There will be a separate video to explain the bearings...

:)
G.

G: Thanks for the insider history lesson. Very interesting! I haven't been this excited about a freecoaster since the Cult came out, but obviously that was a flop. Having had both types of hubs, KHE-style and Nankai, I think the nankai offers an unparalleled user experience but unfortunately my flange is cracked and the availability of Japanese parts is questionable here in the US to say the least. And furthermore, I think the odsy clutch may now be the best designed hub out there.

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2015, 05:03:01 AM »
I always thought G had a deeper voice.

Actually liked the video got a better idea of the hub

Haha I had a hughe grant voice in my head personally

Nobody actually sounds like Hugh Grant.

I always thought you would sound like mike whatshisname
(Skinner?)from the streets

Nah, nobody sounds like that either. That's just a put on Southern accent for poofs who drink shandy.

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2015, 10:05:41 AM »
So, on a scale of 1 to 10, for a first time freecoaster user; would you rate this hub as easy or hard to maintain?

I think eliminating any back pedaling would be great since i'm in my 30's.

This is the easiest design of any freecoaster hub to maintain. You can literally bolt it on and ride it without needing to grease or adjust cone tension or repack the bearings after a week. I'd give it a 1/10.

The only thing a beginner would maybe want to adjust is the slack seen on G's youtube how-to by simply turning the allen screw from the outside of the hub.

What's cool though is you will have G posting youtube videos in the near future that will show the internals and hopefully how they all fit together, which can be tricky at first to newcomers. Props on this. That being said, there are already a few unofficial videos of past KHE style hub teardowns that can be found on youtube.

According to my source, the hubs are already in the US and on their way to shops as we speak!
They should be arriving on Monday afternoon to shops.

]Thanks for the info they are in Canada in like 2 weeks.

Offline medusa.cascade

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2015, 03:29:36 AM »
All the videos are up.http://bmxunion.com/reviews/insight-odyssey-clutch-freecoaster/

Seems like a really really good hub.

Offline jtr

• former eraserhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2015, 06:41:45 AM »
is there a nobel prize for engineering bmx parts?
i mean a regular hub makes sense... freecoasters usually a bit less but this looks really, very well thought through.
the only worry i'd have is about the plastic wearing over time or breaking some of thge finer plastic parts off...

Offline Bunky

• Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »
I just watched all the videos and am a very happy person right now as George says some things that I've been saying for years.

I'm super glad he mentioned the part about the tolerance between the drive side shell bearing inside internal bearing race having a loose fit to the drivers outside bearing race and this causing problems.

I can't remember if I posted it on here or on Instagram, but G also corroborates the reason I gave why they want with a 3/8ths female axle on the drive side. 

This looks like a super durable hub and I will be getting one, if not more than that.  My only real question now is, Will it crankflip?
Quote from: G
this website is essentially an irrelevant back-water of the internet

Offline theboredbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2015, 10:32:50 AM »
Two questions. One, does the clutch require being all greased to hell, and if so will it be done at the factory or will it require teardown before use?

Two, is this actually the g-coaster, or do you still have another design on the back burner? Seems like I remember you mentioning lots of fiddly little internal parts and tolerances being hard to achieve for it on a full manufacture run
R.I.P. Oz

Offline MathDebater

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2015, 10:52:52 AM »
My only real question now is, Will it crankflip?

I think the answer to that question may be contained in this video: http://www.odysseybmx.com/dailyword/2015/07/odsy-vision-matt-nordstrom-for-odyssey/.
Quote from: bluemeate;3413568
even i would regret that

Offline mrjimyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
is this actually the g-coaster, or do you still have another design on the back burner?

This is not the Gcoaster, you can look at the 2006 patents for it though the design may have since changed since.
Bike Check

With enough lube and brute force, anything is possible.

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2015, 02:08:31 PM »
I'm a bit disappointed that G doesn't sound like Tim Roth.

Offline JohnW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2015, 12:46:14 AM »
This will be the hub that converts me to 36h and 9t instead of 48h 10t. I'm a little bummed there's no 10t option but I doubt it'd sell well.

I was all set with my bike and now Odyssey & G-Sport are convincing me I need to buy new parts. Next year when I'm not building a car...
My LAF
Quote from: super_chief;3602916
I put my nuts on that axle before it shipped, FYI

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2015, 03:49:29 AM »
G Coaster is radial engagement, this is axial engagement. G Coaster is meant to be the big shift, and the Clutch just a refinement of the threaded clutch mech we already use

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2015, 09:32:18 AM »
...the only worry i'd have is about the plastic wearing over time or breaking some of thge finer plastic parts off...

There is very very little stress on any of the plastic parts. In terms of wear, the area that "resists/drags" is nearly 200mm^2 this compares with less than 1mm^2 on the steel balls of the current designs... There really is a lot of life in this part before it wears out, I would be very surprised if anyone ever wears one out even with decades of use.

I just watched all the videos and am a very happy person right now as George says some things that I've been saying for years.

I'm super glad he mentioned the part about the tolerance between the drive side shell bearing inside internal bearing race having a loose fit to the drivers outside bearing race and this causing problems.

I can't remember if I posted it on here or on Instagram, but G also corroborates the reason I gave why they want with a 3/8ths female axle on the drive side. 

This looks like a super durable hub and I will be getting one, if not more than that.  My only real question now is, Will it crankflip?

Glad to get your approval. Crankflipping is more likely to be successful than with current designs because of the "stick-tion" feature of the plastic.

Two questions. One, does the clutch require being all greased to hell, and if so will it be done at the factory or will it require teardown before use?

Two, is this actually the g-coaster, or do you still have another design on the back burner? Seems like I remember you mentioning lots of fiddly little internal parts and tolerances being hard to achieve for it on a full manufacture run

It will work fairly dry, but I would always recommend a good amount of grease. It should be pretty well greased from the factory but if it does need more you dont need to open it up, just use a grease gun to inject through the adjuster hole and it should work its way around.

G Coaster is radial engagement, this is axial engagement. G Coaster is meant to be the big shift, and the Clutch just a refinement of the threaded clutch mech we already use

Yes. This is a stepping stone to the G-Coaster. The G-Coaster has been dormant for a long time because we just couldn't get factories to take it seriously; they would make one prototype, mess up the hardnesses and then take forever to try to fix it. In the end, it seemed sensible to do the best job we could with the original design and hopefully get enough sales history to persuade factories to do all the extra work needed to tool up for the G-Coaster. This design does still have some minor flaws left, bearing life will be shorter than ideal (the angular contact bearing around the driver is still going to wear faster than is ideal, so it will probably need to be replaced every couple of years or maybe less if you want to keep the hub feeling perfect (but it wont explode without warning like the old driver bearings did)) and we have to make separate left and right hand versions etc. BUT it is a very useable hub that is leaps and bounds better than anything else on the market. In fact, it is so good, that I am a little worried that there wont be the need to develop the G-coaster at all...   

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2015, 09:32:18 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special