Multimedia

Author Topic: Any of you guys out there dealing with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?  (Read 8438 times)

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Looks like I might have to deal with it, we are still waiting on some tests to come back but all signs point to it. Any tips about ways to deal with it (or fake stuff that sucks to avoid), still ride, or if you had surgery and how that was, please share. Thanks!

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
Re: Any of you guys out there dealing with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 01:53:26 PM »
YES. as well as arthritis in my hands. Last week I hit a dirt jump and my hand blew off the grip upon landing.

I would suggest against surgery. I've never known anyone that had 100% good results from it.

Stretching your fingers is what I and others have found to work well for CT. Bend your fingers up towards the back of your hand and hold it for a minute. Repeat. Go gentle....

The thing that works best is to not use my hands. Not really an option though.

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 01:54:56 PM »
I currently have what I assume is golfer's elbow which is kind of related. It sucks and I haven't been to a doctor. I usually just ride through the pain but sometimes it gets to be a bit much and when that happens I have to take a week or so off from riding.

Offline jtr

• former eraserhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 07:17:25 AM »
this may sound really stupid but drink alot of water!
i've had to deal with cts and tendosynovitis alot because of drawing/engraving all day and then riding bikes afterwards.

for about half a year now i am much better but still not fine.
wear large sweatbands when you go ride and do alot of physical work with your hands. it is really important to keep your joints and especially wrist warm not to abuse the tendonts!
also cts is related to kidney problems because first if your body is dehydrated (wich happens easyly when you go and ride) both your kidney and tendon sheaths are getting easyly damaged plus if you stell well hydrated your body is naturally "lubricated" and the friction in your sheaths and joints is lower. really is or at least seems to be. also for me helps is when i don't have to switch between fine motor work with my hands (like drawing etc.) and rough work and if i do so taking my time, GENTLY stretching alot and as i said drinking rediculous amounts of water.
also i am a bit addicted to rice milk and amazake lately and thought about it may being related with my hands being much better too...

so keep your wrist warm, when you ride and when you go to bed! because you body cools down at night and i used to have terrible cramps waking up at night. maybe use a warming cream, ginger-chili rub or similar from time to time.
drink water
and stretch.
then you shoul get alot better.

ah... and also eat alot of stuff that is generally good against any kind of inflammation, like garlic, ginger, fresh chili, etc.

best of luck and get well soon!

Offline paranoidmexican

• freeeeeeeestyle
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 05:54:28 PM »
carpal tunnel in both wrists and arthritis....worst part is when I feel my right arm vibrating/shaking up past my elbow (if that makes sense)

it really makes me angry to the point of crying/freaking out sometimes, especially when I'm working on really intricate equipment at work and my hands freeze up, resulting in me dropping wrenches/bolts/tools and having to start over again.

I try to do hand/wrist exercises and take little breaks when working. When I'm home my fiance has this eucalyptus/mint lotion that she rubs on my wrists when I need it and it helps. Tiger balm works well too.

I tried wearing braces but all that does is hinder me and piss me off. I want to get surgery, but couldn't due to my woman being out of work until just a few weeks ago. Once my credit cards are payed off and we have a few grand in savings in going to schedule surgery. Hopefully by Christmas.

I hope you get better soon, carpal tunnel fucking sucks. 
Perform an act of kindness without posting it to social media. Love one another.

Offline Zoidberg

• Doctor
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 06:21:15 PM »
stretching solves so many problems, fact

Offline Tony Harrison

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 06:28:51 PM »
you fucking seagull chasers

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »
YES. as well as arthritis in my hands. Last week I hit a dirt jump and my hand blew off the grip upon landing.

I would suggest against surgery. I've never known anyone that had 100% good results from it.

Stretching your fingers is what I and others have found to work well for CT. Bend your fingers up towards the back of your hand and hold it for a minute. Repeat. Go gentle....

The thing that works best is to not use my hands. Not really an option though.

Thank you for the advice. Are these people that got surgery for it recent or a good bit of years ago? It seems the newer style of surgery is yielding better results, or so say some sources. i will try the stretches and google more for it.

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 02:55:06 PM »
this may sound really stupid but drink alot of water!
i've had to deal with cts and tendosynovitis alot because of drawing/engraving all day and then riding bikes afterwards.

for about half a year now i am much better but still not fine.
wear large sweatbands when you go ride and do alot of physical work with your hands. it is really important to keep your joints and especially wrist warm not to abuse the tendonts!
also cts is related to kidney problems because first if your body is dehydrated (wich happens easyly when you go and ride) both your kidney and tendon sheaths are getting easyly damaged plus if you stell well hydrated your body is naturally "lubricated" and the friction in your sheaths and joints is lower. really is or at least seems to be. also for me helps is when i don't have to switch between fine motor work with my hands (like drawing etc.) and rough work and if i do so taking my time, GENTLY stretching alot and as i said drinking rediculous amounts of water.
also i am a bit addicted to rice milk and amazake lately and thought about it may being related with my hands being much better too...

so keep your wrist warm, when you ride and when you go to bed! because you body cools down at night and i used to have terrible cramps waking up at night. maybe use a warming cream, ginger-chili rub or similar from time to time.
drink water
and stretch.
then you shoul get alot better.

ah... and also eat alot of stuff that is generally good against any kind of inflammation, like garlic, ginger, fresh chili, etc.

best of luck and get well soon!

Thanks for all the help! I have increased my water intake and will keep with that. I will implement these other things as well. Lucky for me I'm in Florida so keeping warm with riding isn't a problem haha. Doc is doing some tests incase maybe it is a kidney or thirod issue. I'll find out next week.

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »
carpal tunnel in both wrists and arthritis....worst part is when I feel my right arm vibrating/shaking up past my elbow (if that makes sense)

it really makes me angry to the point of crying/freaking out sometimes, especially when I'm working on really intricate equipment at work and my hands freeze up, resulting in me dropping wrenches/bolts/tools and having to start over again.

I try to do hand/wrist exercises and take little breaks when working. When I'm home my fiance has this eucalyptus/mint lotion that she rubs on my wrists when I need it and it helps. Tiger balm works well too.

I tried wearing braces but all that does is hinder me and piss me off. I want to get surgery, but couldn't due to my woman being out of work until just a few weeks ago. Once my credit cards are payed off and we have a few grand in savings in going to schedule surgery. Hopefully by Christmas.

I hope you get better soon, carpal tunnel fucking sucks.

Dang man, sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can get surgery soon and be better.

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 01:51:41 PM »
I say DON'T get the surgery, at least until you've tried everything else. 

I developed carpal tunnel type symptoms when I was doing a temp job that involved 8 hours of computer mouse clicking in a database every day of the week for about 10 months (a boring job that paid very well).  I burned out my right arm, then switched the mouse to my left, then burned it out too.

Nothing helped until I quit that job and quit using a computer at all for several months.  It was repetitive strain injury.   

I ended up taking a couple of jobs after that which involved very minimal computer work.  Now I can use computers again, but I do have to have it set up correctly. I have to have the keyboard and mouse low on a keyboard tray--not high up on the desk.  If I use that type of desk setup, symptoms will come right back within a day.

The bad part is I can't play guitar at all anymore. That brings the symptoms back.

Don't mess up your body.  Quit doing whatever it is that is triggering this.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:55:43 PM by cmc4130 »

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 07:31:16 PM »
all those years of bikeguide moderation finally take their toll
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 07:31:16 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello