Multimedia

Author Topic: A question to frame vendors/repair shops regarding Standard bykes custom  (Read 38646 times)

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
Either way, really.

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
so they fixed it and now you wont ride it?

In all seriousness, even if it is off by a hair still, why does it matter? just ride the thing and destroy!

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
. . .
I would echo the recommendation that you find a bike shop (or builder) that can check it for you and put a definite number on the flaw and go from there.

I agree. You need to measure it with precision, not take photos of it--because all photos will be distorted based on perspective/lens etc.

Plus, it's important to measure in the spots where it counts (where your wheel is, where the cranks are, etc.) A frame does not have to be mirror image perfect if all the critical points are in fact in alignment. When he says it fit the jig perfectly, that's what it means, right?  (I don't know, I've never built a frame myself).

Although I clearly understand the need for the utmost precision on an expensive custom frame, I also think a key question is whether it affects the ride or the visual aesthetics. If the issue is undetectable by normal visual inspection AND undetectable while riding . . . . . . . well, whatever.....

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:13:41 PM by cmc4130 »

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
Or just put it together and ride the piss out of it....

Offline TpeHep

• View Profile
Just to clarify..
so they fixed it and now you wont ride it?

In all seriousness, even if it is off by a hair still, why does it matter? just ride the thing and destroy!
No, the frame is not fixed.

. . .
I would echo the recommendation that you find a bike shop (or builder) that can check it for you and put a definite number on the flaw and go from there.
I agree. You need to measure it with precision, not take photos of it--because all photos will be distorted based on perspective/lens etc.

Plus, it's important to measure in the spots where it counts (where your wheel is, where the cranks are, etc.) A frame does not have to be mirror image perfect if all the critical points are in fact in alignment. When he says it fit the jig perfectly, that's what it means, right?  (I don't know, I've never built a frame myself).

Although I clearly understand the need for the utmost precision on an expensive custom frame, I also think a key question is whether it affects the ride or the visual aesthetics. If the issue is undetectable by normal visual inspection AND undetectable while riding . . . . . . . well, whatever.....

Sure it won't be perfect, but the issue is quite detectable by normal visual inspection - that's how i detected it in first place. Images are given for visual representation rather than to define amount of distortion. And somehow, despite different
angles of camera, distortion is always the same, to same direction, so i wouldn't blame lens.
String on linked video is attached to spots that count. And i'm not worried much about aesthetical part.

If i can find a shop that could give precision numbers, i will sure ask them to check this, just for interest.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
Yeah measure it at a professional bike shop and send it back if the data shows that it is off. You must have some customers rights office in the US that can back you right?
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline TpeHep

• View Profile
If anyone has doubts, i have visited largest bike store in town to have some more fun out of this story
(we have only one big bicycle store here, they are an authorized dealer for Specialized)
on a way to work this morning. They also have a fine repair shop, but as i suspected they
do not have a validation device to give explicit numbers (3rd world here).
It took about 3 seconds of visual frame inspection for their main bike mechanic (20+ years exp)
to say frame is definitely untrue and to correctly determine displacement direction at the same time
(which is about 1/8" towards RHD). Suggesting that precision validation is not needed here,
as it's too obvious..

I'm not trying to prove anything here though, you should make your own judgement.
And i have no intention to pursuit (or how do you call it) SBC, demand something there, etc.
They can work how they see fit, and i can't force them to work properly
if they don't want to. Not to mention their authority is compromised -
now i can't be sure they don't weld as bad as they align, don't confuse
tubing, etc. They might still come up with something, but it
seems highly unlikely at this point.

Good reason to post was that i actually find initial question about reasonable
precision error from reputable vendor rather interesting, as i don't see lots of such
info around. At same time there surely are people getting custom frames around,
so this topic might be of interest for others too. Another good question is if such could be fixed, in theory?
Seems quite unrealistic to me..
Could i even offer to fix such if i was a vendor?

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
If anyone has doubts, i have visited largest bike store in town to have some more fun out of this story
(we have only one big bicycle store here, they are an authorized dealer for Specialized)
on a way to work this morning. They also have a fine repair shop, but as i suspected they
do not have a validation device to give explicit numbers (3rd world here).
It took about 3 seconds of visual frame inspection for their main bike mechanic (20+ years exp)
to say frame is definitely untrue and to correctly determine displacement direction at the same time
(which is about 1/8" towards RHD). Suggesting that precision validation is not needed here,
as it's too obvious..

I'm not trying to prove anything here though, you should make your own judgement.
And i have no intention to pursuit (or how do you call it) SBC, demand something there, etc.
They can work how they see fit, and i can't force them to work properly
if they don't want to. Not to mention their authority is compromised -
now i can't be sure they don't weld as bad as they align, don't confuse
tubing, etc. They might still come up with something, but it
seems highly unlikely at this point.

Good reason to post was that i actually find initial question about reasonable
precision error from reputable vendor rather interesting, as i don't see lots of such
info around. At same time there surely are people getting custom frames around,
so this topic might be of interest for others too. Another good question is if such could be fixed, in theory?
Seems quite unrealistic to me..
Could i even offer to fix such if i was a vendor?

I dont think you are wrong not to want to ride it. Many years ago I had a frame which I bent the back end of very significantly (through riding) but at the time had no money to replace it so kept riding it. When I did finally manage to replace it, I found that I had got used to correcting for the bend and it took a long time to get myself straight on the bike again.

Is it fixable?
Yes. Pretty much anything is fixable, whether it would be wise/cost-effective/worthwhile to fix is another matter. If everything was cut correctly and it was tacked up straight etc, and the issue is just that the bend on one side straightened out a little then it can be cold-set back to straight relatively easily and it will be fine. If however it was made bent, then it is less likely.

IF it is an option to just return it and get your money back, then that is probably the easiest thing all round, but it is a CUSTOM frame right? So that could potentially leave them with a frame in some wacky geometry that they cant shift and a big loss so they may dig their heels in and try not to do that; if on the other hand it is pretty vanilla; then if as they claim it is straight they should have no problem selling it on. Did you pay by credit card or paypal? That might be an option.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline monteryroom

• View Profile
Customer relations is everything. I believe they should repair, refund, or replace it.
It's enough to put me off buying anything off Standard.

Offline Albie

• Solid Bikes
    • View Profile
BMX is full of bad parts.

You might as well quit now and save yourself the hassle.

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
everyone saying just to suck it up or "its just bmx anyway" is blowing my mind. There is not any excuse for parts being way off spec in general, but the fact that it is custom and cost him at an absolute minimum $550 makes it way worse. If you spent that much money on a TV and it only played in black and white, would you just shrug it off? Of course not. Some of you make it sound like he's complaining about a cup of lemonade being too watered down from a 1st grader's drink stand in the summer time. You guys must have some nice jobs to be able to drop $550 and have it not matter what you get in return. I love Standard and I think Rick is super rad, so it bums me out to hear this story. Of course there is always two sides to a story and the truth most often lies in the middle...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:09:04 AM by bluebmx »

Offline Albie

• Solid Bikes
    • View Profile
Answer these question:
Did Standard fix it or not?
Have you checked the alignment?
Have you built it up completely?
How does this make you feel?
Will this be the straw that broke BMX's back?

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
What sort of state was the shipped box in when you received it?

Offline Funtimes

• View Profile
An 1/8 ain't shit

Offline Eggit2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
To expand on what others have said, try looking for local road frame builders.
Its not uncommon for the heat from welding to pull an otherwise straight frame out of true, and its also not uncommon for high end custom road bikes to be aligned after being welded. One of them might be able to help you out. No idea how much it costs, but explain your situation and maybe you will get an empathy deal, a lot of road builders are really passionate and cool people.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello