Multimedia

Author Topic: Fixed gear bikes/ Post your big bikes V2  (Read 358874 times)

Offline jonathan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fixed gear bikes/ Post your big bikes V2
« Reply #240 on: May 18, 2015, 04:08:22 PM »
dragged my heavy-ass touring bike up 2500 feet of elevation according to MapMyRide) for 40 miles of west Austin nieghborhood roads today. This bike is fun on gravel trails, carries momentum well on decents, and is comfy for commuting. but it climbs like pallet of bricks.  time for a proper road bike?

sceneic overlook on HWY 360. you can barely make out the city skyline in the background.

I have long fantasized about climbing up these little trails along this highway to the cliffs above the road. I finally did it and it turns out that these are not really trails at all but ruts formed by rain water. gave me a good overlook of the Pennyback Bridge.

this is the start of a good set of tan lines. see rule #7
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:12:26 PM by jonathan »

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2015, 03:02:51 AM »
God you should see my tan lines. Shameful.

Been back in mainland Italy for 2 days now. Currently in the Italian Air Force Museum checking out all the sweet planes. Right by the lake too.

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 19, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »
What bars are those Jonathan?
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Danno

« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2015, 05:32:45 PM »
The cool thing about working for a family owned IBD is the crazy old stuff we find in our warehouses. Today we found a few sets of Look pedals which we managed to date back to 1985-87 as their first ever clipless mountain bike pedals. And we found three Campag bottom brackets from the 1980's that come in strange presentation type cases. One was Athena and I can't remember the other names.

The other week it was a set of brand new in box Koda alloy cranks from the 90's that used to come on Cannondales.

Offline jonathan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 19, 2015, 06:37:41 PM »
What bars are those Jonathan?

Salsa Cowbell 2. just enough flare to get your hands out wide for rough stuff, but still handles like a regular road bar.

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2015, 04:39:40 PM »
The cool thing about working for a family owned IBD is the crazy old stuff we find in our warehouses. Today we found a few sets of Look pedals which we managed to date back to 1985-87 as their first ever clipless mountain bike pedals. And we found three Campag bottom brackets from the 1980's that come in strange presentation type cases. One was Athena and I can't remember the other names.

The other week it was a set of brand new in box Koda alloy cranks from the 90's that used to come on Cannondales.

Coda Magic cranks? Worth a few quid those bad boys.

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2015, 03:33:21 PM »
it lives again

my proudest parts bin creation yet
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:35:25 PM by Admiral Ackbar »
Quote from: blueee;3557172
i went to a rave at a zoo one time. although i didnt give the dolphins heroin substitute

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 25, 2015, 12:12:24 PM »

Solo post-work ride

Danno

« Reply #248 on: May 26, 2015, 01:47:37 PM »
We had Wilier round at work today so I took this Zero 9 out for a couple of miles. Think I preferred it to my CAAD 10 but I'm in for a proper bike fit next month so hopefully that will put this to the back of my mind!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 01:53:52 PM by Danno »

Offline reebzor

• Veteran
  • lolwut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »
I built a Mortirolo years back and absolutely loved that bike. My Focus is great but if I were to build something new up it would probably be a Zero.7. I love me some Wilier

Offline InTheWoods

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 31, 2015, 08:31:26 PM »
My new clunker/cruiser bike I built up today. Total investment $25.

It features 2x6 Shunmanotour drivetrain, coil spring suspended leather seat, and FACEPLANT shifters (patent pending).

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:40:22 PM by InTheWoods »

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 31, 2015, 09:34:59 PM »
sweeeet.

but we need foot-out wicked skiddin' action shots

a la
Quote from: blueee;3557172
i went to a rave at a zoo one time. although i didnt give the dolphins heroin substitute

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 02, 2015, 06:48:49 AM »
Pretty much at the end of my tour now. Getting a ferry from sicily to Malta tomorrow. I'll do a quick tour of Malta then I'm meeting up with some cute Australian girls and partying for 2 weeks.

In other news, anyone tried a Fairdale Goodship?

Danno

« Reply #253 on: June 02, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
I just got trashed by a headwind as soon as I got to the open field part of my ride. And I'm sure it didn't end up behind me at any point either!

I built a Mortirolo years back and absolutely loved that bike. My Focus is great but if I were to build something new up it would probably be a Zero.7. I love me some Wilier

The Zero 7 is a seriously nice bike, I walk past the Chrorus model every day on the way to my office and wish I made more money. Are they a well known brand over that side of the pond?

Living the dream Hugh!

Offline jonathan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 04, 2015, 08:58:06 AM »
swapped my Vaya frame and fork for a Soma Double Cross Disc. the DCD is a cyclocross bike, whereas the Vaya is a touring bike. DCD has a higher BB and shorter chainstays and a longer TT. proceded to crush 30 miles of roads, gravel paths, and singletrack with some CX dudes last night. so fun! noticeably more agile than the Vaya.

I went with the 52cm gold DCD. I see how a 54 could have worked with a shorter stem, but this works fine. I originally ordered a lugged gold fork, but the gold color on the fork was way off from the frame paint, so I swapped if for the black unicrown fork. good move, I think. might need to play around with the handlebar angle and saddle position (knee started to hurt after about mile 20), but I am happy with it.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #254 on: June 04, 2015, 08:58:06 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special