Multimedia

Author Topic: Pedal design devolving?  (Read 33093 times)

Offline MilkyWilky

• www.marcsist.com
    • View Profile
    • Marcsist
Re: Pedal design devolving?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 11:17:17 AM »
Evolution in sick plastics probably contributed to the perceived devolution of pedals.

I don't think plastics deform or anything, but the weight difference in the bodies means the initial impact could be more gentle, and the second half that comes whipping around to finish you carries less energy too.

I once dreamed of a JCPC half that was made to grind, no pins, thicker, PLEG compound or something, maybe some surface sliding contours. PLEDAL BODY or something. Ever been on the table G?

Offline meathead

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 06:39:38 AM »
why does no company offer metal pedals with a plastic grind plate? surely thell be the best of both worlds? endless smooth pedal grinds and the strength and grip of metal all in one hand little package?

Offline thatotherguy84

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2015, 10:00:18 AM »
why does no company offer metal pedals with a plastic grind plate? surely thell be the best of both worlds? endless smooth pedal grinds and the strength and grip of metal all in one hand little package?

Didn't someone sell those years ago?

Offline meathead

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 10:03:04 AM »
Quote from: thatotherguy84 link=topic=220385.msg3714598#msg3714598 date=1432566018
Didn't someone sell those years ago?

[/quote

fuck knows , nothing nowdays :/

Offline LukeTom

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 01:41:19 PM »
There are ones with metal grind plates, for example: http://www.gussetbikes.com/products-bmx-information.php?id=PDGUFT9K

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »
The serious pedal grinders I know use those Ody JCPC pedals with pins removed on one side to get that metal grip but smooth grind.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 09:27:18 PM »
The serious pedal grinders I know use those Ody JCPC pedals with pins removed on one side to get that metal grip but smooth grind.

this is the way
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline DAKINS

• Just ride your damn bike.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 10:09:09 PM »

I used to make them, and immediately stopped using them once the JCPC's came out.

Drunk Jays fan

Offline erenes

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2015, 06:50:23 PM »
JCPC for life. I was using disposable pedals (one of the reasons was the idea that plastic pins are not so aggressive on shins). I still have a full big box of bent loose ball axles, cracked bodies etc. When I switched to JCPC I realised Im not hitting my shins at all with pedals, cause my feet are not slipping.

Had first pair of JCPC for around three years. The right one was setup for grinding. I grinded thru two frames, cracked dozens of cranksets but JCPC were fine. They got loose, then pin heads wore out / dissapeared. No maintanance. The small hole from grinding appeared on the side. They were slightly loose (but still pretty noiseless). I still had them on my second bike. The 17mm hex is almost round. What is AMAZING that I usually cracked +-10 bodies transparent Polycarbonate (but solid Nylon which are stronger - like Twisteds, Animals too).  But JCPC is a solid brick, thick enought and INDESTRUCTABLE.

I tried BPE and they stuck in one day. No warranty. No spinning. Thick and ugly.

I just got another pair of JCPS. I even use them on my 650b Enduro bike. They are pretty big surface/flat bodies = good feeling. Slightly on the thicker side (mtbikes dont like the thick classic look).

getting rid of bushings/small bearings = BEST DESIGN EVER.

Offline peggiesmalls

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »
I like the look of the new éclat Stevie pedal its basically an eclat slash with metal pins on one side(perfect Imo)

Offline MilkyWilky

• www.marcsist.com
    • View Profile
    • Marcsist
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »
I know this leaves the realm of BMX, but so far as I'm concerned FUNN is one of those OG brands that I used to associate with extreme mountain bike riding. While their seats and 48h 24" wheels have fallen out of favour, I'll never forget their Soljam viper pedals.

In an article on Bikerumor about their new platform prototype with 'float' they also showed a shot of their plastics with metal pins.
Original article http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/09/03/eb15-funn-may-put-some-float-in-you-flats-with-hover-pedal-concept/

Offline Uncle_Banana

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2015, 11:01:27 PM »
Lately I've been looking MTB stuffs, because slim BMX pedal with metal pins are hard to find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nylon-fiber-Bike-Pedals-Flat-Platform-Bicycle-Cycling-Sealed-Bearing-Pedals-9-16-/171868009210?var=&hash=item280421b2fa

This is pretty good deal.
I just got this for my barcode.  It's wide, grippy, and light.  The body feel solid. 

Offline goose

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2015, 03:39:30 AM »
All I want is a re-release of the original DX pedal.

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2015, 12:03:07 AM »

woah hold the horses here.... isn't that the JCPC axle system a la G? i kinda thought that he patented it (would be silly not to) and here it is in a different pedal? either G's involved in this company's pedals or he's selling royalties on it... pretty sweet if that's true, it's like making a really decent car chassis that's application to many car types, so every manufacturer go with your chassis to allow them all the designing they want on a good platform...

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2015, 06:25:23 AM »

woah hold the horses here.... isn't that the JCPC axle system a la G? i kinda thought that he patented it (would be silly not to) and here it is in a different pedal? either G's involved in this company's pedals or he's selling royalties on it... pretty sweet if that's true, it's like making a really decent car chassis that's application to many car types, so every manufacturer go with your chassis to allow them all the designing they want on a good platform...

No it's probably different enough to not be a patent violation I think, plus they aren't selling huge numbers so it isnt worth the effort.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2015, 06:25:23 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello