Multimedia

Author Topic: Pedal design devolving?  (Read 32779 times)

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pedal design devolving?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 12:28:15 AM »
Fuck it, I think I'm going to run my spare set of Spank Spike pedals on my 20".

Offline rich

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »
Thin pedals make a huge difference to the feel of a bike.

I have Shimano Saints on my mtb and Dx's on my Bmx, the Saints feel far nicer (being thinner) but develop play very easily. The Dx's have no play at all after six years of riding and not one service - but I wish they were thinner.

If you have managed to make a thinner pedal that doesn't wobble G, especially if it has the same pins that screw in from the back like trail mixes, then that is pretty much perfect. :)

Offline dersou ousala

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 07:13:48 AM »
Do it. i ride them on my bmx since 2 years and no problem so far. i just had to remove some pins because those pedals are too grippy with all the pins installed, i hate when my foot is glued to the pedal and i can't escape from the bike.
The only problem you will have is that all other bmx pedals will feel like SHIT when you try them.

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 10:58:07 AM »
Do it. i ride them on my bmx since 2 years and no problem so far. i just had to remove some pins because those pedals are too grippy with all the pins installed, i hate when my foot is glued to the pedal and i can't escape from the bike.
The only problem you will have is that all other bmx pedals will feel like SHIT when you try them.

Haha I actually removed a bunch of the pins last night and I'm getting new bearings pressed into them today so they will be ready to rock soon.

I'm also considering cutting down the pins 2mm as well, but we'll see if I need to once I ride them.

Offline medusa.cascade

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
thin pedals you say.

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 12:48:58 PM »

Offline meathead

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 04:20:08 PM »
am i the only person who is scared to ride these crazy thin pedals?

surely less materiel means weaker pedals?

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 06:33:57 AM »
I guess it depends on the design. The two examples above would probably just last a very short time in the hands of a bmxer.

I can imagine a structural design looking like a spiderweb, like the Beijing birdīs nest stadium being strong, but would still probably not last for a bike throwing- pedal grinding bmxer.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 10:10:55 AM »
I guess it depends on the design. The two examples above would probably just last a very short time in the hands of a bmxer.

I can imagine a structural design looking like a spiderweb, like the Beijing birdīs nest stadium being strong, but would still probably not last for a bike throwing- pedal grinding bmxer.

For a certain subset of rider (non-grinding, non-bike-throwing) nice pedals would work. But I agree that the average bmx thrasher would kill nice pedals in a week.

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 07:49:33 PM »

For a certain subset of rider (non-grinding, non-bike-throwing) nice pedals would work. But I agree that the average bmx thrasher would kill nice pedals in a week.

agreed. if you are really smooth/never leave the ground, posh mtb pedals could work but in most cases id say not
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »

agreed. if you are really smooth/never leave the ground, posh mtb pedals could work but in most cases id say not

DH bike pedals get ridden pretty hard, especially on 24/26" DJ bikes. They would be just fine for a smooth bmx rider.

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 08:07:38 AM »

Offline Liam

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 08:33:40 AM »
I want these pretty bad. It's a shame they're like 200$.
http://www.motobicycles.com/artikeldetails-en/kategorie/pedals/artikel/10-001-moto-urban-pedal.html

Just nick some spindles from an old set of pedals and you could make them for next to nothing.

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 08:53:17 AM »
I want these pretty bad. It's a shame they're like 200$.
http://www.motobicycles.com/artikeldetails-en/kategorie/pedals/artikel/10-001-moto-urban-pedal.html

Just nick some spindles from an old set of pedals and you could make them for next to nothing.

There is a bit more to them than some wood on a spindle:

But, the gears are turning...

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 08:53:17 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello