Multimedia

Author Topic: Frame Features /Strength  (Read 34156 times)

Offline Cellmember

• View Profile
Re: Frame Features /Strength
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 04:14:24 AM »
lairds got some nice welds going on but he seems like a bit of a tripper, especially if hes telling you plate bridges are stronger than tube ones.

i heard wishbones being more twisty is true though, but i guess it depends on the specific dimensions and stuff cos sunday frames

Like I said I can't see a plate being better suited instead of tubing for the bridges.

Really, I wouldn't have imagined that, but it could be a possibility, I can definitely notice the difference between a wishbone rear end and a A and S bend, the wish bone feels much much stiffer.

I was told that A: a wishbone rear end is not a strong as a A or S bend stays and B that round tubing for the SS/CS bridges are weaker than a plate. O_o

Whoever told you this, I would completely ignore in future

Yeah I'll mostly pass on this particular builder as it looks like he's not interested in doing what I'm after any ways.

I've heard from several reputable sources that wishbones greatly strengthen a frame. Not sure about the whole plate/tube argument but tube should take forces better and be lighter. If you want to build a strong and stiff frame, I'd opt for something with large diameter tubes, gussets, a wishbone (or two), and non-micro dropouts for more weld contact area. Basically build a sunday.

For sure, that all makes sense, and is basically what I'm doing.

If Im not mistaken Mr. French made an article somewhere stating that wishbones are stronger.

I wonder if 3D printed frames could become a thing.

I'll have to do a quick search and find the article, I'd like to read up on that. Always interesting to see G's input.

I'd like to see a 3D printed frame definitely curious, one day...

So he is basically saying that some of the strongest frames over the last 15 years... are now the weakest? I'll take wishbones and tube bridges thank you very much.

Maybe you should find a new frame builder.

Yep, so would I.

That's what I'll be doing.
Vitalbmx: Cellmember
Bmxforum: Cellmember
Bmxmuseum: Cellmember
Ref\'s: http://www.bmx-forum.com/u/64216/cellmember

Offline GUMP_

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 05:04:33 AM »
Just get a custom AoD and be done. Cause wishbones

Or Dave at pedal driven he was pretty good to talk to before when I was looking at a custom from him

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
i heard wishbones being more twisty is true though, but i guess it depends on the specific dimensions and stuff cos sunday frames

Bro, do you even Barcode? :D

nah brah, not trails enough. im awaiting delivery of an AOD though in all its wishboney goodness

I'll allow it. I love how the new AODs remind me of an S&M Bennett. Drooooollllll.....

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 01:15:07 PM »
I've been curious what Laird's take was about wishbones and tube braces, now I know. That being said, I think that what he is doing looks really great.

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 02:02:06 PM »
I just looked at this Laird guys site...

What I saw: Generic designs, decent quality (I've seen better), cheesy laser cut plate bridges, and welded seat clamps on everything. No thanks.

Brooklynrider

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
But USA, bro!

In all seriousness, please stay away from this dude. As soon as I opened his site, I saw those god awful cutouts where the stays meet the dropout. You know, the ones that are identical to old federal frames that all cracked? My friend had an older lacey and it cracked in 8 places. 2 on each stay cutout.

Brooklynrider

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 02:54:26 PM »

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 04:05:59 PM »
The devil is always in the detail, but generally speaking, comparing like with like, a wishbone is either going to be stronger for the same weight, or lighter for the same strength.

In terms of plate bridges, just no. They are a LOT easier to make though, so there's that...

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Cellmember

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »
Just get a custom AoD and be done. Cause wishbones

Or Dave at pedal driven he was pretty good to talk to before when I was looking at a custom from him

That's awesome that Fbm are have brought back the AOD, definitely got a lot of people stoked.

Yeah I will be looking into him, thanks.

I've been curious what Laird's take was about wishbones and tube braces, now I know. That being said, I think that what he is doing looks really great.

I will admit he has very pretty welds !

http://instagram.com/p/Y50zz-sObP/?modal=true
8 Places!

Holy shit, I've never seen that kind of crack in a place like that before, fack.

The devil is always in the detail, but generally speaking, comparing like with like, a wishbone is either going to be stronger for the same weight, or lighter for the same strength.

In terms of plate bridges, just no. They are a LOT easier to make though, so there's that...

:)
G.

I definitely noticed a difference when it came to wishbone vs A and S, makes sense to. Like I said I was shocked when I was told otherwise, haha.

I've never been a fan of plates for the bridge's mainly because I think it looks tacky and the obvious it wouldn't be that strong compared to a tube, but it looks like for this particular builder  plates are strongest for him, and yeah you are most correct with it being cheaper to produce.

Nice to hear input from everyone, thanks all !
Vitalbmx: Cellmember
Bmxforum: Cellmember
Bmxmuseum: Cellmember
Ref\'s: http://www.bmx-forum.com/u/64216/cellmember

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
I've been thinking about this, and intuitively, I think wishbones should be more rigid up and down (I.e., about and axis through the bb), and side to side (axis normal to the ground), but less rigid in twisting.

I could probably work out how to prove it, but my structures fu is not strong. 

Offline mattywatty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
One of my friends had a Barcode. I distinctly remember dropping into a quarter pipe on it and being surprised by how much stiffer than my non-wishbone frame it was.

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 07:09:32 PM »
The cutouts look terrible on the stays and not a fan of the seatclamps.  He can do standard seat tubes w/o a clamp
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 07:15:38 PM »
One of my friends had a Barcode. I distinctly remember dropping into a quarter pipe on it and being surprised by how much stiffer than my non-wishbone frame it was.
That was definitely my impression the first time I pumped up a transition on my Barcode.

It was actually just a little scary at first.

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:20 PM »
If your frame isn't breaking on you, isn't it strong as it needs to be?

Over the last 30 odd years I have seen every style of frame crack. 

Personally I don't like a super stiff rear end. Hurts too much. Now, that don't mean I like flexy ass frames.

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 07:27:52 PM »
T1 builds rule.
Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 07:27:52 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello