Multimedia

Author Topic: Knee's  (Read 9705 times)

Offline blockhead

• View Profile
Knee's
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »
Hello, It's been a while since I've posted but I'm still lurking.
3 months ago I ended up having microfracture surgery on the same knee that had ACL reconstruction 8 years back. I have seen various physio's whom prescribed different things and also an appointment with the surgeon again today. The surgeon and first physio were very keen to stress that this is an injury a 31 year old shouldn't expect and that I should consider giving up the BMX. The second physio had me jogging on a treadmill at 8 weeks post-op so I started riding lightly. I've been to Hull and cased the first box and it's felt ok.. Certainly better than before the op when I couldn't ride at all and it would swell enough to struggle walking.
The third physio explained I shouldn't be doing any activities that strain my knee so I've stopped jogging and resigned to riding as little as possible. I'm trying to read online about other' past experiences but can't find much in regard to biking.
Has anyone else ever had this type of surgery or have any opinions about whether it's time to quit? Cheers

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
Re: Knee's
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »
Quit when you want to quit.

The way I look at is, if a doctor says I'm too old or whatever, I'm talking to the wrong doctor.

I'm 44 and don't plan to stop any time soon. I also separated my shoulder over the summer. Grade 5, which I guess is pretty bad. Guess what, don't care. Not going to stop riding.

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 02:45:40 AM »
I've resigned to the fact that I'll probably never ride BMX again. Meeting with a doctor to discuss shoulder surgery this Friday. Fun times.

Offline Brendan O.

• View Profile
    • http://www.brndn.nl
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 10:09:21 AM »
You're not that old though yet, are you Tom?

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »
Not really. All of my joints are fucked though and it's not really worth it to me any more.

Offline DAKINS

• Just ride your damn bike.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »
I would do a little more research and possible seek out a physiotherapist that is a little more sympathetic.  I don't think you should be considering giving it up at all yet.  It's not like you are 60 years old.

Proper care and therapy/workout should keep your knees well if you do it properly.

If Matt Hoffman's still riding, then what excuse to we have?

Drunk Jays fan

Offline torontoflatlander

• Veteran
  • This guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »
Take up road riding? Low knee stress if you set yourself up properly.
Quote from: The Fresh Pinch;3592393
No one likes a salty member.

Offline RidingBMX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:43:08 PM »
I've resigned to the fact that I'll probably never ride BMX again. Meeting with a doctor to discuss shoulder surgery this Friday. Fun times.

What type of surgery? 

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 10:00:03 PM »
come to america. we have better doctors and surgeons.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 11:01:40 PM »
I would do a little more research and possible seek out a physiotherapist that is a little more sympathetic.  I don't think you should be considering giving it up at all yet.  It's not like you are 60 years old.

Proper care and therapy/workout should keep your knees well if you do it properly.

This times 1000. When I tore 2 ligaments in my ankle this summer, the physiotherapist I went to was great. Although he specifically works with guys in the military and knows the various demands of the job, he was able to give me stretches and exercises to do that would effectively strengthen the joint and get me back to 100% as quickly as possible.

Do you have any clinics that specialize in sports medicine around you? There's a few in my city, and one is really good (The local OHL hockey team goes there) and I think that they could give you the most honest opinion, best advice and a solid recovery regimen to get you back on track to being able to ride.

EDIT: For another personal experience, my grandmother got a similar surgery about 8 years ago now I think. She regularly rides a stationary bike, and a bike out on the roads for exercise. Maybe look into getting a road bike or something to help strengthen stuff up?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:03:53 PM by Cole »
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline super_chief

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 02:24:31 AM »
currently pedaling around on a completely torn ACL (but only with my custom fitted brace)

i've torn the ACLs in both my knees, went thru physio for a year on each while gradually returning to riding.

right knee surgery in 2008 (still going strong)
left knee surgery in 2010?, tore it again in 2012

left knee is real loose, jumping down 4 feet+ is sketchy. jogging is OK, but a full sprint is risky. slap on the knee brace and all is well however.

knees are dumb

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 03:38:44 AM »
sometimes my knee feels shocking and sometimes its ok. i rode today and it was fine. last time i was out working (which involves lots of walking for like 10 days at a time) it felt shit. cant wait for bionics to kick off so i can get robot knees and shins and crankflip off houses to flat
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 09:47:37 AM »

What type of surgery? 

Either keyhole to repair the ligaments or getting fully cut open to have some bone bolted into my shoulder socket then the ligaments repaired. Got another scan to find out how much bone chipped off when I dislocated it. Fun.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 09:47:37 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello