Multimedia

Author Topic: Mid school "collecting"  (Read 51200 times)

Offline JFax

• View Profile
Re: Mid school "collecting"
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 03:01:57 PM »
I dont like mid-school stuff. I can understand why people would like to build them up as a hobby, but riding wise I feel like bikes were worse back then.

I change my bike up quite a lot now, but prefer stuff from or made like 5-7 years ago.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 03:07:55 PM »
I think the only stuff that throws me off when riding a new bike vs. a mid school one is the handlebar height.  Everything else I can jive with. 

I have a Kink Fiend Dave Young tribute build and it is fucking bad ass to ride around on.  Once I am on it for a good 10-15 minutes I get used to it pretty quick.   Speaking of that rig... I should go take some pictures of it.  It is a bad ass mamma jamma.
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »
I have my old WAL Riot, but I don't find old bikes interesting enough to want to collect them, in fact, I've thought about selling it a few times.

I didn't like mid school bikes when they were new.  They looked cool, but I thought they were really hard to ride compared to like a Sport.

Offline Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 03:50:57 PM »
I've pretty much sold off all my older stuff. I'm starting a second  part time job for some spending $$  . In a few months I might build up a 48 spoked 39T sprocket-ed beast

Offline BilboBaggins

• Formerly Mike Oxlong, Formerly barcodebilly, Formerly Billy, Bg Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »
I collect (used to) cool stems and seats.. used to be on a t1 kick snagging up any frame I saw for sale but got over that one.

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 06:54:53 PM »
Back in the 90's I rode a Homeless Mack, and I picked up a used one cheap on eBay with the intention of building it as a nostalgia piece.

It now collects dust in the garage.

Offline CMB

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
I have a few mid school parts that I've collected/held onto over the years.
Antifreeze green 36t Profile Imperial
Fit S2 Seat
OG Shadow Slim seat circa 2004
OG Fit s3 stem
S&M Redneck Lite
T1 Gower Power 39t
I also still have my Fit Series 1 from over 11 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:40:23 PM by CMB »
refs: Alice Glass, laloest33, Rusty, mphelps, .SIN., milhous, jaymeatsack, CHROME_RIMS_YO, LittleDevil661, Piffery, Trvsty, Patty, toady, shutta, cb4130, Black Miguel, BGB, onewaystu, Bunky, arcadecycles, LeonLikesToRock & more!

Offline faldfhkhfidhfid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »
I'm a bit of a weird case with this.

I never rode during the 'midschool' period but I just think most parts made these days look shit. It seems like during 1995-2005 you could tell what kind of frame someone was riding just by looking from a mile away. Now everything looks the same.

I also like how much tougher older parts can be. I fucked up a few 36h wheels before I moved to 48h.

I think I should start a collection now.

This. I've got a few old 48H rims and hubs laying around. Couple of old redline proline front loads that were basically a brick and a couple of frames somewhere with the old "oval" top tube which were pretty nice. Also rebuilding a few of my old redline bikes up from the late 90's but have to machine up some new parts for them because I can't be bothered finding them. Have a very large collection of old bars and some 8 piece bars. Love the older stuff

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 10:16:23 PM »
I don't collect shit. Maybe if I had more money and more space to store shit I might.

Honestly, I just need bikes that I can ride. Looking at old stuff doesn't do anything for me.

With that said, I do have some old parts that I probably will never get rid of. Not many though.

Taj said in an interview I read, something about old bikes sucked, why would he want to collect them.. I can get my old bikes fix  on the museum.

80's bmx = flexy, breakable bikes
90's bmx = heavy as fuck
modern bmx = fuck yes!*

* I've been saying "fuck yes" to bikes since '77

Offline CHROME_RIMS_YO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 10:20:53 PM »
mid school stuff is indeed more desirable these days. 10 years ago i won the ebay auctions for both a nos 21" 3/8" standard trls250 and a nos 21" 3/8" fbm angel of death and spent $125 total between the two. don't see deals like that anymore, plus i'm seeing things from that era go for more on the museum and ebay lately. and by lately i mean the last 3 years at most. my money's all tied up in a vinyl record collection that i no longer care about and am wanting to unload. if i had it sold i'd probably build up a squad of midschool bikes. i'm 31, and i bet it's all the dudes like me in that late 20s to early 40s range who are buying up all the midschool now that they're somewhat settled in life. i wish i would have spent more effort collecting during the era, i really only started stockpiling from my bikeshop job 10 years ago a few months before i quit. getting wholesale prices and employee discounts and shit made it easy and i never really took advantage of it. now i can relate to the bmxers from 15-20 years ago that had to scour local bike shops for old stock shimano dx pedals.
OHH HIS NAME? HIS NAME IS RAAALF, MAN
Quote from: Mike Oxlong;3588221
I always thought you were black just like scram hype haha

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 11:47:05 PM »
Bike crap? No. I've got an exceptional orchid collection though.

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 11:53:30 PM »
-Animal OG topload stem that I still rock it for my current build
-Animal Purple Jump Off 12-100
-Fit Edwin bars cut down to 22' with like a 10 layers of spray paint on them.
-I got a Kink OG peg lying around somewhere
-Not midschool at all but I just recently retired my Mutiny Loosefer V2, don't see myself parting from it.

So much good memories on all of them besides the OG Kink peg which I promptly took off for something that's not a pound a piece.

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 02:14:39 AM »
I got the bug by getting given a few things here and there by friends who stopped riding - the big one was a 2000 Condor with the badge graphics. I never had money for "proper" aftermarket completes until I finished uni. I'd have a good frame and stuff when I was in my late teens but there'd always be a bunch of bargain basement shit on it. Now it is kind of like "I always wanted a DK Legacy - and that is fuck all" so I jump on it. I really like T1 stuff and it was crazy expensive down here (if you could get it) so I've got a fair few T1 things. As we all get older the shit is getting more expensive. BMX Museum has kind of put me off it but kind of got me into it. It's  great way to find shit and a great way to go "I'm not getting the stage where I start convincing myself that my kid/wife/dog/neighbor really want me to build a BMX for them"

I can't get into doing things 100% period correct and all that shit. I mean, I still run a DK stem I got in high school. Who changes all their shit every season? I like mixing it up.
Hangovers and trains

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 04:21:25 AM »
i used to have a warpig and sta from around 98 even though i didnt ride back then. i snagged em cheap, then sold them on, kind wish i didnt now but i wouldnt ride them, theyd only gather dust so not much point.

ive got loads of other old parts though, most arent that midschool. got a few good hubs and stuff though, profile ss 48 lefty, profile shelled nankai, homer and monkey front hubs, gsport nimrod stem, couple of haemorrhoids, and a pentagon seat.
not really all that midschool, i only used to buy stuff because it was interesting and really cheap (i had no money for decent bike parts for so long, only frame i ever bought new was my og sunday and that was half rrp because of padded cell distro going down).

i have my sunday built up as a spare but again, not really midschool, its more just the parts i used to ride that i kept as spares as i moved to more modern/shiney bits.

im stocking up on post-midschool era parts now though while theyre cheap, already got an rnc ti clamp, and picked up some odyssey 41thermal splined cranks the other week. looking for a gen 1 take ivy, nokon cable, shadow slim seat not really

this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 11:39:41 AM »
I don't have a big interest in gathering a collection of midschool shit, but I think my bike is definitely more midschool-minded in build. I am always on the hunt for 33t sprockets and railed seats.

My white whale currently is a 33t DK Iron Cross or Iron Cross Light Sprocket. Someone help me out.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 11:39:41 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special