Multimedia

Author Topic: Full-face helmets  (Read 13020 times)

Offline JFax

• View Profile
Full-face helmets
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »
I've realised that I almost exclusively ride large bowls and vert now. This has made me reconsider my preferred safety gear, as I previously only rode padless and with a standard "dirt-style" bmx helmet. I am considering getting a full-face helmet now, but am unsure of what to look for. I have so far mostly been looking for design and price, but perhaps its more to it.
Are any of you guys riding one, or have experience with them? Any experience and tip?
How heavily should weight of the helmet play as a parameter, is it tiring in the long run or barely noticable?
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
Re: Full-face helmets
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »
I have a Troy Lee Designs SE3 that I use on my downhill bike. Ive been thinking of wearing it.on my BMX too. I just feel so much safer . Chain reaction cycles had them.for €200 reduced from.nearly €600
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:36:32 AM by hugh. »

Offline milhous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 10:33:45 AM »
I only use a full face when racing. Currently using a Giro Remedy helmet that I picked up cheap. It is decently light and not too bulky. I prefer lighter helmets with a shell size that does not make my head look a mushroom.
I will probably switch to a Troy Lee or Fly carbon next year (only if I can pick one up reasonably priced this winter).

Best bet is to go to a shop that carries helmets and try some on. This will make sure you are comfortable and it fits properly.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 11:15:33 AM »
Thanks guys. But Im more wondering about things I should consider that I havent thought of. Like weight, I will probably knock weight off as a not so important factor, but I am afraif that it will get annoying after riding with it for a full session. Whats your thoughts?
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »
I rode a Pro-Tec shovelhead 2 for a few months after I fucked my face up last year, and I had a few observations.

(1) I'm not at all claustrophobic (I was stationed on a submarine a few years ago), but it took a long time to get used to that helmet.  I felt like I couldn't breath, and my breathing rate was through the roof.  It could have been the lack of airflow to my face or something, but I was getting this shortness of breath feeling and it made me freak out a bit.

(2) On that particular helmet, the chin bar was right where I wanted to look to spot my landings.  I eventually got used to it for the most part, but every once in awhile, I would be in the air trying to find my spot, and all I saw was chin bar.

This was all riding bowls and modular park.

Offline magnumpink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 02:20:51 AM »
I have a Kali helmet, it's under 900 grams, you don't feel the weight. I tried a friend's motorcycle lid once, really felt that.

Offline Eggit2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 10:13:05 PM »

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 01:37:01 PM »
some other company did that like 5 or 10 years ago, cant for the life of me remember who though
Quote from: blueee;3557172
i went to a rave at a zoo one time. although i didnt give the dolphins heroin substitute

Offline MilkyWilky

• www.marcsist.com
    • View Profile
    • Marcsist
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 06:17:54 PM »
some other company did that like 5 or 10 years ago, cant for the life of me remember who though

Possibly this Giro SWITCHBLADE.

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 06:23:59 PM »
id rock that

Offline tim_sch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 08:15:08 AM »
^this thing is ugly as hell, saw it in person.

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 11:25:02 AM »
I saw some HORRIBLE injuries back in the day when the og troy lee and bmx lids had retrofittable chin guards. They might as well not have been there, avoid them like ebola.

Modern TL lids have a nice big face hole, so they dont really obstruct your vision and vitally they look bad ass, but they wont take many knocks. If thats ok then go for it, if not look at a higher end carbon mx lid, you can pound your head off the floor all day long and they'll still protect you.

Offline rickylarryyy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 06:28:36 PM »

New helmet and goggles for 2015 bmx season. Pretty stoked.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 09:18:10 AM »
That helmet look sick! Beside the visor. What brand is that?

Offline tim_sch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »
Goggles for BMX? Why?

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello