Multimedia

Author Topic: Quick Questions  (Read 784876 times)

Brooklynrider

Re: Quick Questions
« Reply #720 on: April 29, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »
I could have sworn the mix had 2 on the non-drive side and 1 on the drive side. Then again, the Cult match hub is identical and dans says it has 2 hubshell bearings. The Primo Remix has 4 tiny bearings. Vitalbmx is spewing all sorts of shit that can't be trusted. If someone could confirm its 2, that would be great. I really dont want to take my hub apart right now.

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 02, 2013, 05:11:59 PM »
When cooking pasta is it better to put it into cold water and bring to the boil or put the pasta directly into a pot of boiling water?

Offline mrjimyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 02, 2013, 07:24:40 PM »
Lol, I always bring the water to a rolling boil before adding in the pasta.
Bike Check

With enough lube and brute force, anything is possible.

Offline Brendan O.

• View Profile
    • http://www.brndn.nl
« Reply #723 on: May 04, 2013, 03:00:43 PM »
Definitely boil the water first. Use plenty of water, pinch of salt. No lid. Stir extra at the beginning not to have any pieces stuck to the bottom / sides of the pan, then stir like every minute or so. Check package for cooking time. If it says 9 to 11 minutes. Start trying and taking bites from 7 minutes on. When it is just only slightly too al dente for your taste, turn off the fire and pour the remaining water out. By the time this has happened it should be almost perfect. Oh, and don't add oil to "prevent sticking", stupidest gimmick ever.

Always throw the pasta in the pan with the ragù (sauce). Stir for a bit on low fire. Now the pasta will reach perfect "dente-ness". Never throw the ragù on top of the pasta. Buon appetito!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 03:11:25 PM by Brendan O. »

Offline boneskid1

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 04, 2013, 05:39:36 PM »
what is the best way to properly tighten caliper style brakes? (the ones that have one longer bolt that goes through the frame)
i just bought a ss/fg bike and it is giving me hell to get the calipers centered so one pad doesn't always rub, and i cannot for the life of me get the pads straight and tight with the braking surface of the rim.
It's like a mean nuggah went through hunters ed

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 05, 2013, 05:09:51 AM »
Pull brake lever, tiighten bolt. Release, and brake should be centred.
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #726 on: May 06, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »
what is the best way to properly tighten caliper style brakes? (the ones that have one longer bolt that goes through the frame)
i just bought a ss/fg bike and it is giving me hell to get the calipers centered so one pad doesn't always rub, and i cannot for the life of me get the pads straight and tight with the braking surface of the rim.

It depends on the brake. In the "bad old days" some calipers had a habit of creeping round when you tightened them and it was nearly impossible to keep them straight. Weinman brakes used to need a special little socket ended wrench thing (which I still have) to hold the bolt while you tightened the back. Some modern ones have a hex key socket ont he front to hold them still and some need a thing like a cone wrench to hold the spring holder... post a picture of the brake if you still cant get it..

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline boneskid1

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 06, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »
i think i got it, the caliper has a bolt that has cone wrench flat on it and i tightened it, it is rubbing a little now but that is due to the slightly wobbly wheel.
It's like a mean nuggah went through hunters ed

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 08, 2013, 05:29:56 AM »
caliper
rubbing
wobbly wheel

*shudders

joking aside, is it working OK? anything to get a bike rolling is good, however it doesn't hurt to look at how to improve it. see if you can borrow a spoke wrench and straighten your wheel a bit.

Offline Ruben José

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 08, 2013, 08:16:27 AM »
Is there any sprocket with guard and 33t this days? Which one is the best shot?
Quote from: @ss4oLe
The only thing that matters to me about bmx anymore is just being able to ride the damn thing. Doesn't matter if I'm not learning tricks. As long as I'm riding, hanging with friends or alone, There is a smile on my face.

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 08, 2013, 09:17:37 AM »
Definitely boil the water first. Use plenty of water, pinch of salt. No lid. Stir extra at the beginning not to have any pieces stuck to the bottom / sides of the pan, then stir like every minute or so. Check package for cooking time. If it says 9 to 11 minutes. Start trying and taking bites from 7 minutes on. When it is just only slightly too al dente for your taste, turn off the fire and pour the remaining water out. By the time this has happened it should be almost perfect. Oh, and don't add oil to "prevent sticking", stupidest gimmick ever.

Always throw the pasta in the pan with the ragù (sauce). Stir for a bit on low fire. Now the pasta will reach perfect "dente-ness". Never throw the ragù on top of the pasta. Buon appetito!

Pfft, your pasta sucks. Boil the kettle, pour it over the pasta, go sit down, forget it, remember, have soggy pasta.

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 08, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
fuck caliper brakes. holy fuck I hate those things. You can bend springs if you need more tension, fuck w/ the bolt to try to center them, etc.

Sauce goes ON TOP of the pasta. Maybe even off to the side a bit. I think the 'oil on pasta' deal is for resturants where they may cook a bunch of pasta before hand? then they dip it in hot water to heat it up if someone wants some pasta? I don't know why you would do that at home though. Pasta goes from boiling water, drained, plate, to belly.

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 08, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »
I think the 'oil on pasta' deal is for resturants where they may cook a bunch of pasta before hand? then they dip it in hot water to heat it up if someone wants some pasta?

any restaurants that do this to their pasta is no more than a fast food joint.

having said that tho, soggy cold leftover pasta was half of my diet in my early twenties and i loved every bit of it.

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 08, 2013, 02:14:13 PM »
Maybe even off to the side a bit

Wrong.

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 18, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »
Do Phil Wood make a track rear hub with a fixed cog on one side and a freewheel on the other? I can't see anything on their site.

When putting barend brakelevers on bullhorn bars does the cable go inside the bar and would I need to drill a hole for it to go to the callipers?

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #734 on: May 18, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special