Multimedia

Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today? (v2)  (Read 1843167 times)

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your bike today? (v2)
« Reply #3075 on: March 24, 2013, 05:37:15 PM »
Think of how many they sold and this is the only one I ever heard about pinching
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline TCbmx.

• View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: March 24, 2013, 06:37:11 PM »
Think of how many they sold and this is the only one I ever heard about pinching
I had one that pinched too man!
I took a disk grinder and re slotted it and never had a problem with it.

Offline TCbmx.

• View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: March 24, 2013, 06:42:14 PM »
woke up to a bunch of boxes of stuff my buddy ordered he went wild with his income tax there is alot of other stuff I didn't snap pictures of.

and here is all the other loose frames in my room (there is also 6 built bikes in here too)

also got my Ruben built back up!
Bike check will be up today and if you want to see all those new frames built, I can post checks of those too when I finish.

Offline InTheWoods

• View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: March 24, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »
Sounds like a shitty cast stem pinched.

It's just a weird one-off thing I think. I've seen pinched stems come from lots of different companies.

TCbmx, that's ridiculous! T-1 is lookn great.

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
« Reply #3079 on: March 24, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »
I dont know why but i put on some shitty 35psi, 20in mtb tire and even at 70psi those knobs make it soooo fucking sluggy... ive just been skidding the fuck out of it, but god damn it makes my bke so slow. these fuckers need to come off asap but i dont want to run any of the other tires i got eaither

Brooklynrider

« Reply #3080 on: March 24, 2013, 11:02:38 PM »
Bought a Primo DSG and it made my drivechain super rough. I hope it fixes itself over time.

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: March 24, 2013, 11:07:01 PM »
I hesitate to ask this but... what were you filing?

:)
G.

what would one file to make a round rod (steer tube) fit into a round hole (stem?)

You need a picture? :D

Offline Topsey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: March 25, 2013, 07:54:23 AM »
TC, i know i have quite the collection of Frames myself but im so stoked to see other people spending all their money on bike parts haha! Makes me feel a little better :D The DTT Subrosa looks quality, as does the Mac!

Offline CMB

• View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: March 25, 2013, 08:08:50 AM »
woke up to a bunch of boxes of stuff my buddy ordered he went wild with his income tax there is alot of other stuff I didn't snap pictures of.

Your friend really ordered 4 frames? That's nuts haha.
refs: Alice Glass, laloest33, Rusty, mphelps, .SIN., milhous, jaymeatsack, CHROME_RIMS_YO, LittleDevil661, Piffery, Trvsty, Patty, toady, shutta, cb4130, Black Miguel, BGB, onewaystu, Bunky, arcadecycles, LeonLikesToRock & more!

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #3084 on: March 25, 2013, 10:09:39 AM »
I hesitate to ask this but... what were you filing?

G.

what would one file to make a round rod (steer tube) fit into a round hole (stem?)

You need a picture? :D

I had thought that maybe you were filing the slot wider like TCBMX described OR doing something like this, but I was kind of hoping that you weren't doing what you did...

PLEASE dont run the stem like this, just warranty it.

If a stem has pinched then it has yielded. This goes for ANY pinch-bolt stem (or crank or brake lever or whatever), and ideally (in terms of safety) it should be replaced. In the case of Odyssey/Sunday stems we will happily warranty them (assuming that there aren't obvious signs of over-tightening abuse. Though to be honest if it has yielded like this then it has almost certainly been over-tightened, but we are pretty generous with the warranty).

Filing/sanding out the bore like this is a really bad idea. When the stem pinched the stem yielded and the hole effectively became larger (albeit with the slot closed up), by making it a bigger bore you are making things much much worse, it will now need to pinch closed even more to fit the steerer and the bolts on the back will be even more misaligned and likely to break and the stem will clamp less well and be more likely to slip.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: March 25, 2013, 10:43:56 AM »
the amount of metal that I removed was minimal. I didn't actually use the technique in the picture. I used a flat/round file and filed exactly where it needed to be filed. I pressed the stem onto the steer tube and it would leave tiny marks on the stem. Then I gently filed those areas, slowly.

I didn't realize I could send it in for warranty. but... I also wanted to ride, which is far more important to me.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #3086 on: March 26, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »
You are still removing material which is not a good idea. Would have been much better to simply use "the penny trick" to get it on.

G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: March 26, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »
I have another stem that requires me to do the penny trick. it is annoying and I refuse to do that anymore.

This stem won't break but if it does, it's 30 bucks. I'll buy another one...

Offline TheRadness

• KILLEMALL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: March 26, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
Can't thread in the bolts on the stem from the back to do the penny trick on my freeze. Don't have a tap on hand to sort that out either.

My issue with mine was a weird little seem in the steerer tube area that didn't allow it to slide down and clamp tight. Filed it off but it was odd.

Offline attactrl

• hidden
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: March 26, 2013, 07:18:15 PM »
Yesterday:
Road street all day, bike was making a terrible noise. I ignored it like a retard. 180s onto a little loading dock, hang5 to 180, icepicks, Smith to feeble. All while my bike sounded like it was making a horrid sound. Was chilling at a spot when I randomly grabbed my pack peg, that shit was loose as fuck. Would have fallen off if it wasn't for the antiroll pin.

Friend loosened it at the meetup spot.
Quote from: Macaroni Sandwich;3002814
Hey! Something I said made it into a signature.

I feel honored.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #3089 on: March 26, 2013, 07:18:15 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello