Multimedia

Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today? (v2)  (Read 1864197 times)

Pat

What did you do to your bike today? (v2)
« Reply #2190 on: October 25, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
Did this to my rim sometime in the last time I rode. There goes my rear roll cage. Any idea if this would be a warranty-able? Shot in the dark, I am not asking Gsport to give me a new rim. Just wondering

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: October 25, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »
Quote from: Pat;3601244
There goes my rear roll cage.

I won't guess at warranty since we have an Odyssey employee on here, but just because it has this hole, there is no reason to retire the rim. I had a hole like that in my 7ka for years and it had no effect on anything. I later sold it to a kid that is really abusive and eventually it cracked at the weld, but the hole never got worse or caused a failure.

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: October 25, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »
Got a new axle... but have to wait until Saturday to install it and ride.

Offline pegs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: October 25, 2012, 02:27:06 PM »
asking if it falls under warranty is the same thing as asking for a new rim...just ride it you broke it

Offline Mattchu

• View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: October 25, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »
Off work today, so I dialed in my bike a little more by putting one of the sample Tree topload stems and some fresh raw 8.5" Moto bars on my SFA. Soon I'll be off to the indoor park to session everything with some awesome dudes.

In the next few days I'll have a custom Tree pivotal from James at Native (which I'm super stoked for), and I'm debating on taking my gearing up to 33-11 in the next week or so for kicks.
Quote from: skateparkrider;3506108
Mid West for life.

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: October 25, 2012, 02:33:17 PM »
Did this to my rim sometime in the last time I rode. There goes my rear roll cage. Any idea if this would be a warranty-able? Shot in the dark, I am not asking Gsport to give me a new rim. Just wondering

Pretty certain that wouldn't be anything covered under the normal warranty.  From the picture it appears that there was some sort of impact that caused the hole.  You can email warranty (at) odysseybmx.com and he can give you the final answer.  Might be worth sending his way just to see what he has to say.

Did you hit it on an upright on a rail or something?  That is a crazy looking hole.  

I laced up a wheel once and cased the shit out of it first run at the skatepark.  Completely ruined the rim... I feel your pain.
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline ron_weasley_T1

• View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: October 25, 2012, 02:34:49 PM »
My T1 Sticker pack arrived today, along with my new chain. All i need now is new wheels & grips then i can start building her up

Offline Mattchu

• View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: October 25, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »
Quote from: skateparkrider;3601264
Pretty certain that wouldn't be anything covered under the normal warranty.  From the picture it appears that there was some sort of impact that caused the hole.  You can email warranty (at) odysseybmx.com and he can give you the final answer.  Might be worth sending his way just to see what he has to say.

Did you hit it on an upright on a rail or something?  That is a crazy looking hole.  

I've seen a dude do this to a Hazard Lite rim by clipping the corner of a ledge real hard. He rode it for nearly two years after that just fine.
Mid West for life.

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: October 25, 2012, 03:32:58 PM »
rode some concrete waves

Pat

« Reply #2199 on: October 25, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »
Quote from: skateparkrider;3601264

I laced up a wheel once and cased the shit out of it first run at the skatepark.  Completely ruined the rim... I feel your pain.

the only thing I could think of as to how it happened was, the other night I was trying a thread the needle Ice Pick between a ledge and a barrier and got sent. I thought my peg had caught the end of the ledge, I guess not.

Yeah its a bummer. I might have to lace up my old 7ka as that is the only rim that has held up in the rear for an extended period of time for me.

BTW Pegs, wondering in a general forum without directly contacting the company only offers the opportunity for speculation. Having Odsy and G-sport employees here only offers the benefit of speculation from the horse's mouth, as I would have to contact the warranty department directly for a final verdict (as Skateparkrider was nice enough to point out). I am fully aware of where fault lies when it comes to bike parts, I am no dumb 14 year old child. It was merely an attempt at a topic of conversation. Similar to how you would engage your friend after breaking something. i.e. "Dude I wonder if they would warranty that"

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: October 25, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
Quote from: Mattchu;3601262
I'm debating on taking my gearing up to 33-11 in the next week or so for kicks.

Man up and go for 36-11 or 36-12
Hangovers and trains

Offline Mattchu

• View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: October 25, 2012, 04:59:13 PM »
Quote from: LeonLikesToRock;3601304
Man up and go for 36-11 or 36-12

Ha! If we had 36t bolt drive sprockets in stock (all Tree carries in house above 33t is spline drive only, and I'm currently on some Fly cranks) you could consider it done.
Mid West for life.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #2202 on: October 25, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »

The warranty is against defects in materials workmanship that kind of thing, we are pretty generous with it, but there doesn't seem like a lot of doubt that an impact that can do that to a Rollcage would mangle pretty much any rim in a similar way (and many would fair much worse)...

Having said that, Logan (warranty at odysseybmx.com) is a super nice guy and he might well be offer you a crash replacement deal that will save you a fair bit of cash and get you rolling again, so worth hitting him up...

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Pat

« Reply #2203 on: October 25, 2012, 09:48:15 PM »
Thanks George, I appreciate your advice. I wouldn't have expected a full warranty replacement. This is pretty clearly rider error. I was just surprised I didn't notice it on the day it happened

Offline Austin Tasseltine

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://battersmalley.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2204 on: October 25, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »
Quote from: Mattchu;3601267
I've seen a dude do this to a Hazard Lite rim by clipping the corner of a ledge real hard. He rode it for nearly two years after that just fine.

my mate bought a second hand wheel with a gsport rim that had been clipped like this as well (not as bad as pats mind) but yeah he rode it for ages with no problems.

i had to take my gland off today cos its ruined. i landed on the edge of it a couple of times when grinding a square rail and it bent a bit, and one of the holes where you tie it to the wheel pulled through. since then the rest of the holes pulled through as well and the whole thing got bent over and totally fucked which is a shame. had a good 7-8 years use though, gonna have to buy some new ones

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #2204 on: October 25, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello