Multimedia

Author Topic: Steven Hamilton  (Read 216646 times)

Offline Austin Tasseltine

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://battersmalley.blogspot.com/
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #255 on: November 07, 2012, 10:45:29 PM »
Quote from: Flossy;3601690
Hamilton is hands down my favourite rider. Any ideas if he will get picked up by someone else? Skateboarding has this culture of revering their heroes and pioneers and bmx seems to sorely miss this.

most of the riders i know who arent daft appreciate hamdog. look at this thread as well, its just the real young riders who missed out on hammy at his peak who dont understand

my best mate reckons hes like the tom penny of bmx

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #256 on: November 07, 2012, 11:40:33 PM »
Sweet bike

Offline Flossy

• View Profile
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #257 on: November 08, 2012, 08:29:46 AM »
Quote from: Austin Tasseltine;3605427
most of the riders i know who arent daft appreciate hamdog. look at this thread as well, its just the real young riders who missed out on hammy at his peak who dont understand

my best mate reckons hes like the tom penny of bmx

Yeah i guess he is! I guess that retrospective viewing of bmx doesnt happen for the younger riders (i only started riding three years ago having come from skateboarding, the respect for the pioneers of the sport and the interest in what they did to push the sport carried over from skateboarding's culture). But then bmx still seems 10 years behind skateboarding in terms of culture to me at least, so maybe it will just take some time.

Also, that bike check is awesome but it is slightly annoying they left off the stuff that wasnt animal.

Brooklynrider

Steven Hamilton
« Reply #258 on: November 08, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »
Quote from: Flossy;3605482

Also, that bike check is awesome but it is slightly annoying they left off the stuff that wasnt animal.

Wheels: 3/8s Profiles laced to Primos
Cranks: Profile
Brakes: Fly with tech77
Fork: Old FBM one
Can't find anything else missing.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:04:33 PM by Brooklynrider »

Offline Spunk Nautical

• View Profile
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #259 on: December 05, 2012, 10:01:35 AM »
via animal: shopping cart x-up hop. still got it.

TERROR STREET
Quote from: human;3122095
Practicality goes out the window when awesomeness is at stake.
Formerly known as IrishBMX

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #260 on: December 05, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »
Hamilton running profiles, streetz bmx head explodes!
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Brooklynrider

Steven Hamilton
« Reply #261 on: December 05, 2012, 10:12:40 AM »
Quote from: Kinchy;3612592
Hamilton running profiles, streetz bmx head explodes!

I'm pretty sure he got them like 10 years ago as well

Offline Austin Tasseltine

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://battersmalley.blogspot.com/
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #262 on: December 05, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
yeah every pic of his bike ive seen has had profiles on them

Offline Spunk Nautical

• View Profile
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #263 on: December 05, 2012, 10:36:25 AM »
Also currently appreciating the 39 Animal OG and massive chain slap in that flick.
TERROR STREET
Quote from: human;3122095
Practicality goes out the window when awesomeness is at stake.
Formerly known as IrishBMX

Offline Trent

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #264 on: December 05, 2012, 11:36:51 AM »
He may or may not have some more awesome clips in QSS4.

Offline BilboBaggins

• Formerly Mike Oxlong, Formerly barcodebilly, Formerly Billy, Bg Veteran
    • View Profile
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #265 on: December 05, 2012, 12:37:05 PM »
That cart hop is crazy.. love his bike

Offline O.G. David

• View Profile
    • http://vimeo.com/user576863
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #266 on: January 09, 2013, 07:00:52 AM »
Would be nice if someone uploaded scans from his latest "it's been a rough year" interview from dig...

Offline SaltyMonkey

• View Profile
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #267 on: January 09, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »
Dig's subscription price has went down.  May need to subscribe to a bmx magazine for the first time in many years.

Offline Séance

• formerly americanethics
    • View Profile
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #268 on: January 09, 2013, 05:17:49 PM »
Quote from: Flossy;3605482
Yeah i guess he is! I guess that retrospective viewing of bmx doesnt happen for the younger riders (i only started riding three years ago having come from skateboarding, the respect for the pioneers of the sport and the interest in what they did to push the sport carried over from skateboarding's culture). But then bmx still seems 10 years behind skateboarding in terms of culture to me at least, so maybe it will just take some time.

Definitely true. BMX could still learn a great deal from skateboarding.

Hamilton is definitely sort of the Penny of BMX, though I wish he could be more the Gall of it.

Skateboarding culture definitely destroys BMX culture for the most part as well.

Definitely a lot more to it and I appreciate its attempts to maintain a less than squeaky clean image all the time.

I've definitely long wished for a Thrasher or Low Card for BMX, but there really isn't one.

In terms of the revering their pioneers and things of that nature, I do really appreciate how much respect the average skater still has for people like Cardiel and the like, but it's not there all the time.

I think Gareth Stehr's pretty much sponsor-less right now, due to Foundation deciding to try to become more mainstream and "relavant", getting rid of all their older lineup, minus Duffel.

I do think that if I went to the average skatepark, too, and asked a normal skater kid in high school who Stehr or Tosh Townend was, he probably wouldn't have a clue.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:20:11 PM by Séance »

Offline Sebastian

• Tullingsworth
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Steven Hamilton
« Reply #269 on: January 09, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »
It just depends on who you're talking to, I think.  I just rode with a group of younger riders, and it was pretty predictable who knew about dudes like Hamilton.  Hint: it was the kids with heavier, beat up bikes with more of a street style of riding-- the ones that clearly gave less of a fuck, to put it simply.

If you subscribe to that kind of riding, you're bound to eventually discover Hamilton, Edwin, Lino, Rat...all the dudes that we took cues from when we were younger.  And while we might have the advantage of being a product of that particular generation of BMXers, I remember the people I rode with the first time around still knew about and appreciated riders even further back like DMC, Vic Murphy, Kelly Baker, etc. etc.

I don't think BMX has a history of disregarding its legends, necessarily, but I do think that for the new generation of riders (those that have been inundated with the rapid commercialization and internet coverage of the sport), there's just a huge blind spot that wasn't as obvious 10 years ago and hasn't yet been addressed by most media outlets in BMX.

I think Dig is probably the closest thing we have to Thrasher.  Its a shame it remains one of the smaller publications, because if it were pervasive in the way that Thrasher has been-- and for decades, like Thrasher-- more kids would be exposed to that side of BMX and (to borrow a very tired phrase) 'know their roots' a little better.

Alright, I'm done now.  Just a few thoughts.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

Steven Hamilton
« Reply #269 on: January 09, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello