Multimedia

Author Topic: Post Your Photo Setup [V4]  (Read 418516 times)

Offline Lucas!

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/Lucasnilsson
Post Your Photo Setup [V4]
« Reply #270 on: December 13, 2010, 04:21:51 AM »
Might have something to do with jens beeing in asia for the last 2months or so.

Ive changed my mind about film beeing good for traveling.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 13, 2010, 07:20:14 AM »
I only shot film when I went around traveling. My pictures were better quality and more thought through then my friends pic but after coming home I regret not being able to take pictures of absolutely everything like my friends. I have to rely on them to supply me with the vacation pictures I need to remember the whole thing.

I guess if you run around with an easier to use 35mm camera than the hassy would allow you to shoot more and more spontaneous pictures.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline Lucas!

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 13, 2010, 09:29:55 AM »
yes. only a hasselblad would leave you with less pictures but with better quality, for sure.

but im thinking about switching iso, storage of memory cards (film takes alot of space and you cant leave it in a warm car, take it through Xray without hassle and so. the only "really" good think about film while traveling is no need for batteries. but then again we all have cellphones with us so we need to charge it every now and then

Offline lukepeeters

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/luke_photos/
« Reply #273 on: December 13, 2010, 09:45:29 AM »
Yeah my pentax battery last for ages so I don't think that matters, I just bought a ep-1 with a 20mm pancake 1.7 lens, Leica vented hood and a leatherette for it, it's going to look so retro, but yeah I bought it exactly the reason jfax just said, 35mm is good, but I don't think it's worth all that hassle for holiday snaps, when I see a decent opportunity my pentax will be straight out. I'm planning on travelling next year, at some point I'll need to charge stuff anyway. I'll take film and maybe buy film on the way, I do hate X-rays, knowing your photos could be shagged.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:47:22 AM by lukepeeters »

Offline dstrctn

• View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=501730862
« Reply #274 on: December 13, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »
What about one of them fancy x-ray bags?
they're pretty cheap and can be had in sizes that hold up to 50 rolls of film.
the one i have now dwarfs the 15 rolls I have in it.
Last summer I brought my digi and film, this time around I'm just bringing 35mm.
Just make sure you bring enough film and extra batteries.

Offline Lucas!

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 13, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
led bags is super good. until you realize that you just turn up the power on the xray to see straight through the bag.

Offline Liam

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 13, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »
Just keep your film in your hand luggage and you will be fine.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 13, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
I went into a shop and asked if I could get a led bag for my rolls. They said they became more or less illegal after 9/11 and you can get into really much trouble for using one.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline eoin.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 13, 2010, 04:53:16 PM »
i used one coming home from new york in summer, then about a month ago on a return trip to berlin. you should be fine
IG @leftbmx

Offline lukepeeters

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/luke_photos/
« Reply #279 on: December 13, 2010, 05:44:19 PM »
where do i find one of these? Uk?

Offline dstrctn

• View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=501730862
« Reply #280 on: December 13, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »
Quote from: Lucas;3373252
led bags is super good. until you realize that you just turn up the power on the xray to see straight through the bag.

I just figured, after seeing a big lead bag in your bag, they would just open it after it came out of the xray machine.
Then look into the bag, see it was just film and dismiss it.
I haven't tried using mine yet so I guess I'll find out.

Quote from: liam;3373277
Just keep your film in your hand luggage and you will be fine.

Your checked baggage and your carry-on baggage get x-rayed at least once.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:08:00 PM by dstrctn »

Offline Liam

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 14, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
Quote from: dstrctn;3373335
Your checked baggage and your carry-on baggage get x-rayed at least once.

It does, but the x-rays used for checked luggage are of a much greater intensity than those used for hand luggage. The ones used for hand luggage will have little to no effect on most film. Slide struggles more, as does film with a higher ISO rating. Last time I went away my film (Portra 400VC) went through five x-rays when it was unexposed and then another five exposed. There was not a hint of damage and I think I had eighteen films in all. The chances of getting your film damaged using a high street photolab compared to getting them ruined by an airport scanner must be close to 100:1.

You can also ask for hand inspection if you want. They can refuse, it depends who you speak to. If you have a lead bag they will often re-scan it, doubling the chance of it getting shagged (particularly if you have no idea of the effectiveness of the bag). If they're suspicious they will get it out and check anyway.

It always strikes me as being absolutely pointless using one. Just walk up with the films you have and ask for them not to be scanned if you're really bothered. If they say yes, it will set your mind at ease. If they say no, there's fuck all you can do about it. Putting those films in a lead bag at this point would just make them suspicious. I already look borderline homeless and like I'm on a different planet, I do not need to bring any more attention my way, particularly seeing as I have something in my knee that will set off the metal detector without fail. I often have prescription painkillers with me as well. I don't think I've ever got through security in less than ten minutes. Faffing about with lead bags will not help my cause.

Offline chaz

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #282 on: December 14, 2010, 05:53:17 PM »
You can fit a lot of 120 rolls and boxes of sheet film in pants pockets, too. 35mm is the only thing that trips metal detectors, and if you used plastic cassettes, I don't see why you couldn't pocket that too.

I don't worry about carry-on xrays, because I don't think there is any risk of xray damage from them. I worry more about the security assholes exposing my film to light in the course of the idiocy.

Of course I don't fly at all now, ever since they made it illegal for people with dignity.
RON PAUL 2008

Offline Pffffff

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 15, 2010, 01:17:15 AM »
I don't get that x-ray problem. Has anyone ever had any serious problems with that? I've had ilford 3200 film x-rayed twice (round trip), and it developed just fine. Btw, it was blank when x-rayed for the first time and it was exposed on the way back.

Offline Lucas!

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 15, 2010, 04:33:01 AM »
well.
you pretty much have the right to get it hand checked. at least in the US. just put it in a transparent plastic bag and tell them that it's film and that it is two weeks work or something.   (kinda sketchy, cause it would be pretty easy to fill them with something explosive hah)

led bags, the xray machinist will recognize and know what it is, if it's not the first day at the machine.   they will just increase the strength until they see straight through it.  
i've done a test with my mju. passed the xray about 50times and the apx100 made it out fine.   i've fogged some portra 400nc though. and i know that jfax fogged something on his trip (right?)

the xray at the carry on is way weaker than the checked luggage. so don't leave your film in that bag.

on another note, it's really fun to crawl through the carry on xray,  fastest way to see if anythings broken haha

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #284 on: December 15, 2010, 04:33:01 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello