Multimedia

Author Topic: 22 inches  (Read 389752 times)

Offline Jobsy

• View Profile
Re: 22 inches
« Reply #495 on: September 06, 2013, 03:55:41 PM »
A standard isn't a standard if it isn't rocking a ht gusset!
Good choice on the gas tank gusset.

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 06, 2013, 04:53:07 PM »
Spoken like a true gentleman. 
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 06, 2013, 11:40:21 PM »

truth, i dont know why anyone would buy a standard without the gusset
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 07, 2013, 01:58:38 AM »

truth, i dont know why anyone would buy a standard without the gusset

I like the chainstay-mount brakes too.   Although.... to get super mid-school, the hole through the seat tube as a cable stop in fact worked the best for 990's.  Straight line pull with very short straddle cable for minimal flex.   Standard was the first one to start the long straddle cable around the seat tube thing, if I remember right....

Offline _tom_

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tom_the_beast
« Reply #499 on: September 07, 2013, 03:03:14 AM »
I'm fucking retarded, about a week after selling my bmx I'm already getting the itch to buy one again despite hardly riding my old one haha. Definitely won't be a 20" this time though. For those who have tried both, what feels better 22" or a Model C? I've ridden 26" for years and I couldn't get back into riding such small wheels on my bmx.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 07, 2013, 05:18:53 AM »
22 is so tempting
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline Love Machine

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 07, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »
God I want to get into 22 but. The tire options are so shit and don't want to spend almost 100$ on the Faction tires.

Offline Jobsy

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 08, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »
I never liked the cable through the seat tube to be honest.. Bloody cable always fraying, not enough room to swing a cat let alone wire up a straddle cable behind some shitawful 44tooth sprocket.  The long straddle took a load of grief away and I never noticed any extra flex!
I like the chainstay-mount brakes too.   Although.... to get super mid-school, the hole through the seat tube as a cable stop in fact worked the best for 990's.  Straight line pull with very short straddle cable for minimal flex.   Standard was the first one to start the long straddle cable around the seat tube thing, if I remember right....

Offline 22lyfe

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 09, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »
  22" wheels, 23"tt, 71šsta, (race tubing up front) custom Holmes.  At 6'4" its the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.  Handles just like my 20,but a little more stable and WAY faster.

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 09, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »
I'm fucking retarded, about a week after selling my bmx I'm already getting the itch to buy one again despite hardly riding my old one haha. Definitely won't be a 20" this time though. For those who have tried both, what feels better 22" or a Model C? I've ridden 26" for years and I couldn't get back into riding such small wheels on my bmx.

To me the 22" still feels VERY much on the BMX side of things while the Model C (and most other 24" non race frames I have rode) feel like a 24" but give you that taste of ramping like what a 20" gives.  It sounds like if you don't want the feel of a 20" you should try your hand on the 24" before the 22".  These are just my two cents though.....  what the fuck do I know anyway?

Offline 22lyfe

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 09, 2013, 02:22:46 PM »

The model C has an awkwardly high bb and I felt way too hunched over the front, plus my foot hits the front tire on xups.  Granted I'm 6'4" with size 15 shoes.  I also found it difficult to do tabes or whips on the model c whereas my holmes and my old amero both whipped around just like a 20.  My 2cents.

Offline milhous

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 09, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »
22lyfe, I am jealous of that back yard.

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 09, 2013, 11:11:24 PM »

To me the 22" still feels VERY much on the BMX side of things while the Model C (and most other 24" non race frames I have rode) feel like a 24" but give you that taste of ramping like what a 20" gives.  It sounds like if you don't want the feel of a 20" you should try your hand on the 24" before the 22".  These are just my two cents though.....  what the fuck do I know anyway?

I agree with that.  24"s are the most versatile.  You can go from concrete bowls to rough mtb jumps, plus ride 20 miles around town.  On the other hand, for me, 22"s are a 20" replacement. It's just sort of a proportional upsizing the same as we've been doing with longer top tubes over the years (and more recently, taller bars).  Everyone's riding bigger trails, bigger ramps, bigger street gaps/drops, it just makes sense.
If I could only have 2 bikes, I would do 22" bmx and 26" mtb-dj-4x.  But, if I could only have one bike, it would be a 24" bmx.  Similarly, if someone loved their 20", then as a second bike, I would suggest to them to go with a 24" (not 22" because it's not different enough), or maybe a 26" mtb-dj if they were riding rougher terrain.  I'll admit, at first I did not like the Model C when it came with 7.25" bars, the 21.25"tt, and the high bb. But when I started riding friends' Model C's and Wave C's with 21.75"tt and 22"tt and taller bars, I thought they felt great.  There's a lot of guys around here who are shredding them.  No longer are 24"s just the 'bar cruzer' bike.  It's disappointing to not see more of the bmx world embracing bigger wheels, and really repping them with pros and video parts. Seems like Sunday has given it the most valiant effort. It's worth it. 

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:35:26 PM by cmc4130 »

Offline 22lyfe

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 10, 2013, 09:09:57 AM »
22lyfe, I am jealous of that back yard.

Thanks man, that pic is a few months old, some parts on the bike have changed and a lot of the yard has changed.  Diggin every day.

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 10, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »
22lyfe - what sort of 20" frames did you ride in the past?  I think I like the high BB on the Model C because a lot of my 20" frames used to have higher BBs.  Another question.....what other 24" bikes did you ride where your foot DID NOT hit the tire on X-Ups, it would be strange if it only happened to you on the Sunday 24".   I am also going to be the dick and say that I feel like my Model C is my favorite bike for whipping around in the air and doing tables.  I actually think that it is easier to do oppo tables on my Model C.  I for whatever reason can lay those a lot more flat on my 24" than I can on my 20".   

We can both agree that I would ramp the shit out of those dirt jumps on any bike I had the opportunity to ride.  Looking mint.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #509 on: September 10, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello