Multimedia

Author Topic: 22 inches  (Read 390028 times)

Offline Topsey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #270 on: November 03, 2012, 01:50:39 PM »
I wanted to try the Sunday 24" supposedly rides like a BMX, now i see these 22" wheels & wonder what these are like? Id love to set either up for street (something like Bunkys) & have a little shred. I just dont want to shell out serious money for either & then get bored/not like it.

Offline Blue Streak

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #271 on: November 04, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »
I'm currently gathering parts to build a 22" ride already have a custom frame from Standard. I'm hoping someone comes out with some nice welded chrome 22" hoops so I can get the wheels built the way I want them.

Offline therussianbabe

• Hamster Muncher
  • Investing Guru
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #272 on: November 15, 2012, 10:22:37 PM »
Quote from: tzicktzack;3595195
New Faction F22 foldable tyre, 2.25, 100psi. They say ready to sell in November?

This is the only thing holding me back. I want lightweight high psi non dirt tires. The minute the release them is when I order my Holmes.

Offline Blue Streak

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #273 on: November 16, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »
Quote from: therussianbabe;3607743
This is the only thing holding me back. I want lightweight high psi non dirt tires. The minute the release them is when I order my Holmes.

I heard S&M is going to make some better quality 22" tires in the near future, might want to shoot them and email and see if they are making a street tread one.

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #274 on: November 16, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
Quote from: cmc4130;3603834
Pepper G's InDust 2ton 22" gets flattened:

Pepper is a boss.  Cause he drives a Hummer.  hahah
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #275 on: November 16, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »

You may have seen this on the S&M FB page. NW goodness

Offline therussianbabe

• Hamster Muncher
  • Investing Guru
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #276 on: November 16, 2012, 04:19:59 PM »
I contacted Faction and actually got two prompt responses.

Hi Rich,
my bro keith will probably be in touch with you too, he'll tell you more about the bike's handling on the racetrack.

As for the stunting, the larger bike isn't going to be exactly like a 20 for stuff like 360 hops or t'whips on the flat, but off any kind of kicker or in a park you'll be sticking more tricks than before. The 22's benefit is that you get more air time (even though you don't feel like you're blasting the hit any faster).
We've looked at the clips of Jason and Matt Stahl in the US (both 6ft + guys) and their warm up airs are higher than their 'go 4 it' hits on the 20, they're comfortably clearing more rotational degrees because they're in the air longer.

The frame and forks are a bit lighter than the S&M 22 (again Keith will give you the specifics, or they'll be on the Faction store site next week), the new tyres are lighter than all the top 20" street tyres (I love Aramid!) and the rims are same weight as the best of the 20's too. The combination of larger size but low weight is unusual at first, to me it felt a bit 'toy like' because you expect quality stuff to have a bit of 'mass' but the prototypes have shown the design to be strong (deliberate pool lip hang-ups, ghost rides to wall, and the UK postal service LoL, have been good destruction tests).

The Amero kit is going to be around $700 bucks for frame,forks,wheels,tyres,tubes (and shipping), but when you're ripping the same bike just as well on a racetrack or on the trails, it makes it a decent value package IMO.

I hope that's enough info.

Cheers,
Kev
- - - -
FactionBikeCo

Hi Richard thanks for your interest. Our shipment of new Amero kits arrived at the UK Docks on the 14th. They wont arrive at our warehouse here till the next few days where we can start checking everything is ok. We will be processing UK and European customer orders as of next week via our on line store on our Faction web site. US and Canada orders will also be via our online store from Dec 14th (hopefully earlier) as we are shipping part of our stock to our US based distro hub. This is to cut out the shipping cost to the end customer as much as possible. Re the tyres being sold on their own we won't be selling them individually until Easter next year. They will only be available as part of the Amero kit till then. Hope this is cool for now? Cheers

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #277 on: November 16, 2012, 04:22:53 PM »
They've been saying 'items will be here next month' for the last three years.

HOPEFULLY, this time it's real...

*edit

also, any idea what the geo is on the new frame? They .had it listed a few years back but pulled all the data from their site. I haven't seen an update
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:24:21 PM by @ss4oLe »

Offline therussianbabe

• Hamster Muncher
  • Investing Guru
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #278 on: November 16, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »
I just dont know if I believe the wheels and tires are lighter than the 20" and still be durable. I'm not really looking to go ride trails solely with this I rarely do ride trails realistically. I'm looking to stay in the skatepark with this thing. Might be a gamble but as long as I can tailwhip air it out of quarters fine I'll be stoked. I think my ideal setup is the Holmes with the rest of the parts being new Factions if they actually release.

Offline ssteinbr

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #279 on: November 17, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »
Quote from: therussianbabe;3607988
I just dont know if I believe the wheels and tires are lighter than the 20" and still be durable. I'm not really looking to go ride trails solely with this I rarely do ride trails realistically. I'm looking to stay in the skatepark with this thing. Might be a gamble but as long as I can tailwhip air it out of quarters fine I'll be stoked. I think my ideal setup is the Holmes with the rest of the parts being new Factions if they actually release.

I think you are right.  I have been on a holmes now since august.  I had to true the stock wheels a few times and finally decided to put the rims on profile elite's and carefully hand build them.  Since then they have been great.  The innova tires are not bad if you keep them 60 to 65 psi.  High psi causes the beads to start to pull out... the tires stretch at max 80 psi.  Now that the tires have worn in (they wear fast too) they are gripping on wood ramps really well.

But I sooooo want the Faction rims and tires!

Heading out to ride at RaysMTB on this cold November morning.  22 is the future for BMX it is not a gimmick.  And BTW what Faction said about going higher and farther jumping a 22 wheel is 100% true.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:38:11 AM by ssteinbr »

Offline therussianbabe

• Hamster Muncher
  • Investing Guru
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #280 on: November 18, 2012, 01:59:56 AM »
Next time one of you 22" guys go to rays let me know. I'd love to pedal around on it to see how it feels if you don't mind. I live abou an hour and half away so it would be a peace of mind instead of a $700 gamble.

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #281 on: November 19, 2012, 06:53:26 PM »
Quote from: therussianbabe;3608249
Next time one of you 22" guys go to rays let me know. I'd love to pedal around on it to see how it feels if you don't mind. I live abou an hour and half away so it would be a peace of mind instead of a $700 gamble.

Man, I loved Ray's so much.  I went in Nov '09 I think it was. I'm sure it's even better now. The best part is having different areas for traditional bowl/quarter type park setups and other areas for "trails" style loops that are one-directional and bring you roughly back to where you started.  You can have 30 people on deck and everyone dropping in one after the other in long trains.  Whereas, over in the bowl/box/quarter areas, everyone has to wait on deck for one rider.  Any bike park of the future must incorporate the trails loop concept.

But yeah, it would be sick if there was a 22" demo bike at Ray's.  I suggested that to FACTION like 3 years ago.  Maybe S&M will hook it up.

Pepper's second InDust 2ton, this one, proto.v2.  It's a little shorter in the front as well as the back.  Pepper loves it. Vernon thinks it's a little too short/quick for trails, after being used to v.1.  This is the fun of getting protos made !!

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237841&p=3842343&viewfull=1#post3842343
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:59:24 PM by cmc4130 »

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #282 on: November 19, 2012, 07:14:29 PM »
send that shit to me! I'll send back my black one. :D

haha.

Offline ssteinbr

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #283 on: November 20, 2012, 09:36:26 PM »
Quote from: therussianbabe;3608249

I am there almost every day.  I ride tuesday nights for a good 3 to 4 hours the rest of the week I ride maybe 30 to 60 mins between 5pm and 6pm and then a couple times with my kids on the weekends... which isn't really riding more like teaching and watching but most of the time that is much more fun.  PM me when you come you are more than welcome to ride my bike.

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #284 on: November 26, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »
Quote from: @ss4oLe;3608731
send that shit to me! I'll send back my black one. :D

haha.

sent u a msg. ;)

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

22 inches
« Reply #284 on: November 26, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »

-->