Multimedia

Author Topic: Rep Points guide.  (Read 65778 times)

Offline sheepdog

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« on: December 04, 2007, 10:07:05 PM »
    Wish I could say where this came from, but I can't.

Get too many negative rep points and you may find yourself banned. possibly permanently. Why? because obviously you are not good for the site and are only here to cause trouble.

By the way, the actual numbers and titles are not correct for this site, but give you an idea of how it all works.

Also, the number next to the boxes is your rep power. How much you have to hand out. The boxes represent your actual reputation.

The guide is only that, a guide, it is not meant as a rule.
You can give and take rep as you please.

HOWEVER!
Try and keep the swearing down in the comments as you never know how old the person is you are repping.

One last thing DO NOT PM MODS OR ADMINS ABOUT REP POINTS.
We do not want to hear about it.

Welcome to the Rep Guide! Originally created in August of '06, this guide was created to clear up what the heck 'Rep' is. This guide will tell you all about Reputation - how to use it, what it's for, etc. Be sure to read the big blue text below!

Note, the Rep system is only available to members.

- Table of Contents -
This guide is divided into sections
Introduction (1)
Types (2)
Rep Points (2a)
Rep Power (2b)
How to use the Rep System (3)
Adding Rep (3a)
Subtracting Rep (3b)
Old Posts (3c)
Abuse (4)

- Introduction (1) -
First of all, what's Rep? Rep is short for reputation. There are two types of Rep: Rep points and Rep Power. The amount of Rep points you have is a symbol of how much you are respected or how helpful you are around the forums. The amount of Rep Power symbolizes how much you can affect other people's Rep points.

- Types (2) -
There are two types of Rep: Rep Power and Rep Points. Here is an explanation of both:

Rep Points (2a)
You have a certain amount of Rep Points. When you first join, you have no Rep Power, and you start with 10 Rep Points. When someone adds to your Rep, you gain the Rep Points equal to their Rep Power. Here's an example:

I have a Rep Power of 2. You post some good information in one of the Psychiatric Ward forums.
I thought that it was helpful, and add to your Rep. You started out with 10 Rep points, but my Rep Power was added to your Rep Points, so now you have 12 Rep points. My Rep Power (shown under my post count) is added to your Rep points. And then vise-versa - If I subtract, your Reputation Points would then be 8.

You can view your Rep Points in your UserCP (User Control Panel). You can access your UserCP by clicking 'UserCP' at the top of the page. Directly under the 'Subscribed Threads' section you should see the 'Last Reputation Received' section (if your Rep has ever been modified). Remember, everybody starts off with the default of 10 Rep Points.

Alternatively, you can see how many Rep Points you have by clicking on one of the scales any one of your posts!

When you view the member list, look in a post or view a profile and move your mouse over your Rep Block (the block that appears under your post count by your Rep Power number), one of sixteen sentences will show up. You can use these definitions and sentences to determine what the user's Rep Points are without asking them. 'User' is used as a replacement for a username.

* -100: User is infamous around these parts
    * -30: User can only hope to improve
    * -10: User has a little shameless behavior in the past
    * 0: User is an unknown quantity
    * 10: User is on a distinguished road
    * 100: User will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure about these ones below, but i know that 100 rep points is the one i just added above

* 200: User has a spectacular aura about
    * 300: User is a jewel in the rough
    * 400: User is just really nice
    * 500: User is a glorious beacon of light
    * 600: User is a name known to all
    * 700: User is a splendid one to behold
    * 800: User has much to be proud of
    * 900: User has a brilliant future
    * 1000: User has a reputation beyond repute

*Note: other forums may have more different descriptions listed above, but on Gzn, "User is on Distinguished Road is the highest.
[/list]You have something called a Rep Block (). This block appears under your post count. If you have a negative amount of Rep Points, this block will be red. If you have 100 or more Rep Points, you will have two green blocks.

Rep Power (2b)
Rep Power is shown under your post count. Rep Power is what you would add or subtract to someone's reputation.
Rep Power doesn't mean that you're more powerful or have a lot of power over the forums.

This picture shows where you would see the Rep Power in a post, boxed in blue.

The icon circled in red is how you add or subtract Reputation to someone. When you click it, you are required to select either 'I Approve' or 'I Disapprove' as your opinion on that persons post. You can also write a small comment, stating why you have selected the choice you have made. The comment, who gave Rep, what post it was for, the date, and whether it was positive or negative will appear in the UserCP of that person.

*Note: for subtractions, you must leave a comment. For additions to Rep, the comment is optional.

Rep Power does not get activated until you have 50+ posts. At 50 posts, you will have a Rep Power of 1. This is a safeguard so others can't make a new account and then use it to add to their Reputation points and so jokers can't mess with other people's rep.

The amount of Rep Power you have is based on three things Note, this may be a little unaccurate, but you get the point - you get power for your stay, your posts. It varies from forum to forum, and on Gzn I think it does vary:

* How long you've been a member - Every 6 months, you raise 1 Rep Power level
    * How many posts you have - Every 1000 posts, you raise 1 Rep Power level
    * How high your Rep Points are - Every 50 Rep Points, you raise 1 Rep Power level

Remember, if you have 0 Rep Power, your additions and subtractions from other members won't do anything. However, it is always recommended to leave a comment with your addition and is required for a subtraction.

Not only 24 and below posters have 0 Rep Power - Some members that have below 10 Rep points and been here for a year with 1,000 posts can have a 0 Rep Power! This is most likely a safety thing to ensure that this person doesn't get any power and can't contribute if he/she is a member who doesn't contribute properly.

There are four types of blocks used in the Rep system. The black block () is used for members with disabled Reputation, the green block () is used for good add-ons to Rep viewed in the UserCP, (which is the general block for all but the 2 members with disabled Rep), the red block () which is used for subtractions to the Rep points (viewed in the UserCP), and finally the grey block (). This block is used when a member modified your Reputation but he or she has no Rep power.

-How to use the Rep system (3) -
Here are some guidelines about how the Rep system should be used.

Your Rep points represent how helpful, respectful, considerate etc you are on the forums.
Each Rep addition shows your appreciation for the post, and not exactly the person overall. If there's someone who has been here a long time, that person shouldn't be given Rep because they were simply there - it's for their post. This goes to show that people should think before they post something mean or inconsiderate.

The reason some of you may have less Rep Points might be because some people don't know about Rep at all. This guide was designed to get it noticed and get used!

Adding Rep (3a)
Normally you would add rep for appreciation for the information in that post. These might be appreciation for some posts that are caring, showing respect for a member, and generally if the post was good-natured. However, this shouldn’t be abused. So don’t add Rep to somebody just because you like them, but because the post was good natured and/or helpful. Things such as very good health advice, a good and detailed post about getting a date or helpful information in the puberty forums deserve Rep. NOT for posts replying to 'What can I do to not be sick most of my life?' and replying 'Eat good food'. This isn’t really that special and doesn’t deserve any recognition.

As an example, if this guide is helpful to some people, they can add Reputation for it.

Subtracting Rep (3b)
When you subtract Rep, it’s usually because the member was careless or mean. Another big thing for subtractions could be plain carelessness for the content of their post.
When subtracting Rep, you don’t do it because you hate the person. If they were mean/inconsiderate etc in their post, that’s a better reason to subtract.

Old posts (3c)
When someone posts something mean and you happen to come across it during a search, they are probably past that and/or don't have that opinion anymore. So, don’t subtract Rep from a (example) 6-month–old post, because that member should be past it by now! =]

On good old posts however, you may want to add. Again, this applies to the 'Adding Rep' section. Guides/informative posts can be helpful, so you may want to add Rep for those posts.
If you browse upon an old thread (usually over 2 months), don't post in it.
It would be better to add Rep to the person if they posted something helpful but the topic's old. If you want to discuss the topic again, you can just simply create a new thread or post in a younger thread!

- Abuse (4) –
Don't misuse the Rep system. In order to ensure the system does not get abused, safeguards have been installed by vBulletin. These are:

* Your Rep Power goes to 1 when you reach 25 posts
    * You can only add/subtract to one member, then you must add/subtract from a few different members (number unknown) in order to add/subtract from the first again
    * If you have no Rep Points, you have no Rep Power
    * You can not add Rep to yourself
    * Guests cannot modify Reputation

Don’t ask others to add Rep to you. This is considered abuse.

If you have an opinion on someone's signature, drop them a PM, since signatures are used in all posts and Rep is there for an opinion on a particular post.

Basically, don't do anything that would be questionable. If you decide to do something that's not on this list and is considered wrong by any staff member, you cannot you use this guide as a reference that it's ok to do something considered wrong by a staff member.

If you believe that your Rep Points have been abused, notify an Administrator! Administrators can view member's UserCPs so you should be careful what you say in your comment and how use the Rep System.

- Conclusion (5) -
You can use the Rep system to appreciate posts made by members and subtract Rep from members who are inconsiderate. This system might also have been added to think in your mind to help, and not create any flames.

* Don’t abuse it, as in don’t add and subtract from others just so you can bully one other member.
    * Think before you post, and try to not be mean.
    * You don’t have to use the Rep system all the time, but if a post comes along that is good or bad, you can use it then.
    * Rep Points and Rep Power are two different things
    * Don't use Rep as a weapon, and don't subtract if there was a misunderstanding and the member was nice about it.

Credits: vBulletin.org, virtualteen, dump.stoleyour for images and me for finding it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:53:07 PM by sheepdog »

Offline sheepdog

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 10:22:57 PM »
Actual rep numbers for BG.

Approximate numbers. I will move them at random to slip people up.
Bragging about hitting it will definitely get it moved just out of your reach.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:48:49 PM by sheepdog »

Offline sheepdog

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 10:24:08 PM »
Rep titles
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:33:31 PM by sheepdog »

Offline Sauce Johnson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 10:31:31 PM »
This should be fun!
EDIT: Why all the red rep points, that was from ages ago!
waah waah waaah sheepdog doesnt like cussing in the sigs

Offline sheepdog

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Quote from: jersey justin;2154705
This should be fun!
EDIT: Why all the red rep points, that was from ages ago!

I am looking for a way to reset them.

Edit: done
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:36:43 PM by sheepdog »

Offline Sauce Johnson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 10:36:43 PM »
Ah, thank you sheep!
waah waah waaah sheepdog doesnt like cussing in the sigs

Offline Boomhauer

• Least Favourite JUGGALO by far
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 11:06:58 PM »
Sweet, hopefully this will improve things again, it's been a while since this system has been used on here, you took the whole damn thing down due to running low in space with the server correct?

Didn't you switch servers quite a while back? what was the hold up on all this?

Oh, I'm lovin' the titles you get for the rep points, but jesus, so many levels of idiot hahahahahaha!
Quote from: Bink;3116353
Yeah, f**k that.  Grind everything.
Quote from: skateparkrider;3612141
The gussets are awesome.  My wife has been needing my name carved into her for about a decade.

Offline JVDK

• NW
    • View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 11:22:34 PM »
Heck, I won't be able to play for ages if I need 2500 posts...
^djfivejames

"The best BMXer is the one that\'s having the most fun" - Sergio Layos

Offline yuth_rider

• View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 11:57:21 PM »
haha same.. .
toFU

Offline super_chief

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 01:12:01 AM »
How did I get rep points?

Offline TidoJackson

• View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 01:20:50 AM »
Quote from: super_chief;2155003
How did I get rep points?

You did good.
Hello.

Offline Tony Montgomery

• View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 05:47:32 AM »
curious why i'm red :mad:
________
Kawasaki GA
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:27:33 PM by Tony Montgomery »
Rectangle America Megaphone Monday Butthole.

Offline tom mann

• View Profile
    • http://www.bcbmx.co.uk
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 11:46:50 AM »
just to understand, this means i will need to have made 2500 posts (well, until it gets changed about) until i can affect peoples rep points, regardless of my rep power (if i gaian any)?
Quote from: terriblerider;3165425
part of your drive train sounds like you threw ten babies alive into a meat grinder.

Quote from: -MEAT-;3165581
Thats just powerbite music.

Offline asilaydying

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 11:53:42 AM »
Quote from: djfivejames;2154824
Heck, I won't be able to play for ages if I need 2500 posts...

It's not a game.
The more you Know, the more you realize how little you know.

Offline asilaydying

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Rep Points guide.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 11:57:28 AM »
I've been logged on for about ten minutes. Lost 80 some rep power points and got some cute little comments.

Some people here need to read the guide above and use the system properly, if it's going to be abused then i'd have second thoughts about installing it again.
The more you Know, the more you realize how little you know.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

Rep Points guide.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 11:57:28 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special