The Street > The Bike Shop

converting bike with gears to single speed?

<< < (2/3) > >>

paranoidmexican:

--- Quote from: ediotism on July 28, 2019, 08:56:17 PM ---do you mean the whole derailleur is fucked? or just out of maintainence/ adjustments?

the easiest way to learn how to adjust/tune the deraileur to work 'good enough' is just to open a youtube video.

a basic cleaning and some appropriate lubrication, along with some basic adjustments, may make it work well enough depending on condition

--- End quote ---

so I just changed the cables on one bike, and it wasn't that bad haha.

ediotism:
there are basically 3 screws on a derailleur for adjustments:

a tiny one to set the inward movement limit, i.e. stopping the derailleur being able to move the chain closer towards the hub once it's on the largest cog

another tiny one next to it, to set the outer movement limit, i.e. stopping the derailleur being able to move the chain closer towards the inside of dropout once the chain is on the smallest cog

once you've got those set the chain/cog/transmission change should work regardless of how ghetto it is

paranoidmexican:

--- Quote from: ediotism on July 30, 2019, 07:16:40 AM ---there are basically 3 screws on a derailleur for adjustments:

a tiny one to set the inward movement limit, i.e. stopping the derailleur being able to move the chain closer towards the hub once it's on the largest cog

another tiny one next to it, to set the outer movement limit, i.e. stopping the derailleur being able to move the chain closer towards the inside of dropout once the chain is on the smallest cog

once you've got those set the chain/cog/transmission change should work regardless of how ghetto it is

--- End quote ---

aside from some surface rust, the bikes are in better condition than i realized. derailleur didn't need any adjustment, I was having a hard time getting the linear v-brake to work properly, i cleaned and greased the posts but the brake will not hold even tension on both arms or center itself properly.

ediotism:

--- Quote from: paranoidmexican on July 30, 2019, 10:54:05 AM --- i cleaned and greased the posts but the brake will not hold even tension on both arms or center itself properly.

--- End quote ---

for a conventional V-brake, there should be 3 tiny holes on the frame right next to the v-brake lug, and you should see that the coil spring 'slots' into one of the three. they are for you to adjust tension. by slotting the coil spring into different holes you can get different amount of absolute tension, or tension relative to the opposite brake arm. that should give you a set up that works good enough for the arms/ brakepads to stay away from the rim when you're not pulling the brake lever

joelite44:

--- Quote from: ediotism on July 31, 2019, 10:52:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: paranoidmexican on July 30, 2019, 10:54:05 AM --- i cleaned and greased the posts but the brake will not hold even tension on both arms or center itself properly.

--- End quote ---

for a conventional V-brake, there should be 3 tiny holes on the frame right next to the v-brake lug, and you should see that the coil spring 'slots' into one of the three. they are for you to adjust tension. by slotting the coil spring into different holes you can get different amount of absolute tension, or tension relative to the opposite brake arm. that should give you a set up that works good enough for the arms/ brakepads to stay away from the rim when you're not pulling the brake lever

--- End quote ---

Place the brakes on the middle hole and bolt it to the frame. undo the little screw that tensions the v brake spring and stretch it out.

This is the same spring that is held to the middle hole. Do this so the v brake can have more tension.

Lastly tighten the screw in slightly and which ever brake  (Left or right) needs more tension, undo the contrary screw to carry it in or out.

Sorry for sounding retarded.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version