Multimedia

Author Topic: 24mm cranks  (Read 8053 times)

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
24mm cranks
« on: July 22, 2018, 02:16:37 PM »
im looking into buying some 24mm fit indent cranks.
theyre on sale for cranks + sprocket for $150 and theyre overall about 2oz lighter than my twombolts.
but my main concern is that the they have been out for a while, no one is buying them and they will soon stop producing 24mm mid bb's
should i buy them anyways?

Offline joelite44

• View Profile
Re: 24mm cranks
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 07:30:45 PM »
im looking into buying some 24mm fit indent cranks.
theyre on sale for cranks + sprocket for $150 and theyre overall about 2oz lighter than my twombolts.
but my main concern is that the they have been out for a while, no one is buying them and they will soon stop producing 24mm mid bb's
should i buy them anyways?

People always say how the bearings don't last.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 12:40:43 PM »
It seems like there is a lot of companies using them. Seems doubtful they would cease production.

Offline joelite44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 06:00:09 PM »
i see how 100 dollar cranks can be atractive. However you can clearly see how bearings on 19 mm cranks get murdered after a few years of use. Can't say the same about 24 mm cranks and smaller bearings.

Offline blueee

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 12:58:06 AM »
I rode spanish 22's for 10+ years and only broke two bearings. I'm light on bearings

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 12:21:45 AM »
You shouldn't be breaking them at all

150 bucks to save 2oz of non-rotating weight in the centre of mass of your bike... Save your money

Edit: Not to mention you won't have a concentric sprocket anymore, one of the underrated things Wom/Twom/Thunderbolts do
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 12:28:13 AM by Professor Horatio Hufnagel »

Offline andreas

• Super Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 10:57:47 PM »
You shouldn't be breaking them at all

150 bucks to save 2oz of non-rotating weight in the centre of mass of your bike... Save your money

Edit: Not to mention you won't have a concentric sprocket anymore, one of the underrated things Wom/Twom/Thunderbolts do
What does the concentric sprocket thing mean, if you don't mind explaining?

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 08:07:27 AM »
Concentric means perfectly centred. Wombolt family achieves this by having an interference (press) fit for the sprocket, instead of a slip fit

Offline blueee

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 11:06:44 PM »
and what are the amazing advantages a concentric sprocket provides?

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 02:13:58 AM »
Have a think about it when the mef wears off

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 12:49:49 AM »
Teasing you in retaliation for being cheeky aside, I'll tell you what it does. It's nothing super amazing, and it doesn't even benefit me as I run my chain intentionally loose for crankflips and for a bit of extra time to start pedalling backwards in fakies

What it does is go a big way to minimizing tight spots in your drive train. Imagine running a slightly oval sprocket instead of a round one. Every 180' you are going to have a tight spot, and 90' from that a loose spot. Slip fit sprockets, particularly when paired with a slip fit hat washer (which isn't always the case) will make the sprocket sit a bit eccentric (off-centre), causing a similar effect (except every 360' instead of 180')

This is only really an issue if you tension your chain, but a lot of people in BMX do exactly that, particularly in racing to reduce wasted effort in pulling the chain taut before it actually moves the driver

In freestyle a lot of people wouldn't care or notice. But it is a clever bit of engineering that does have some effect. Wombolt family got a bit of a bad rep early on, but George did some clever things like this. Another clever thing was the spindle -> non drive side arm joint - it sets a proper preload (Edit: something very problematic with spline interface cranks like Profile) without having to rely on pinchbolts
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:52:07 AM by Professor Horatio Hufnagel »

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 12:49:49 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello