Multimedia

Author Topic: Brake lug length?  (Read 4878 times)

Offline WoBBLE

• View Profile
Brake lug length?
« on: June 09, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
So I'm still having trouble with my front brakes. Changed pads ( Odyssey clear by 4's) and managed to go back in time to get a 48h chrome rim.

Nothing has really improved and the whole front brake set up (Evo II) is still fully shit. I took everything apart the other day and found the brake lugs on my 2006ish Wethepeople Excalibur forks were like 2mm too long, and that there was a lot of wiggle and play for the brake calipers.

Just wondering if this could be a factor in why my brakes are crap, and if trying to remove some of this excess length is advisable?  I have tried using odd washers to take up the slack but this just seizes up the brakes, and tried an old Evo brake instead but also had tonnes of play.

Any input would be appreciated!
Taking the children was a bad move...

Offline Cellmember

• View Profile
Re: Brake lug length?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 05:27:51 AM »
Yes filing down the lug itself will help with braking power and noise as it will reduce the amount of travel when locking the brake no matter how small. If you go this route do it with a file and go slow, bit by bit until you are happy with it. Simple and good luck.
Vitalbmx: Cellmember
Bmxforum: Cellmember
Bmxmuseum: Cellmember
Ref\'s: http://www.bmx-forum.com/u/64216/cellmember

Offline WoBBLE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 07:00:48 AM »
Thanks for that suggestion, didn't even think to try a file! Makes more sense as if the lug ends up too short the whole fork is ruined.

To be honest I'm just glad that it could explain why my brakes have sucked for the last 3 years! I'll attempt and feed back!
Taking the children was a bad move...

Offline Cellmember

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 07:39:30 AM »
Not a problem, forgot to mention use the brake bushing itself as a guide so you can get the right amount of lug just a hair or 2 past the brass bushing, had the same problem fixed it right up.
Vitalbmx: Cellmember
Bmxforum: Cellmember
Bmxmuseum: Cellmember
Ref\'s: http://www.bmx-forum.com/u/64216/cellmember

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 05:37:43 AM »
If you can try and get ahold of the Suelo front brake. Ive tried a couple of brakes and this one is like no other! It is super hard to come by however...
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 05:37:43 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special