Multimedia

Author Topic: last minute ticket to NYC, what do?  (Read 7561 times)

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
last minute ticket to NYC, what do?
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »
kinda want some non-NYC specific advice from you guys. i got wasted at home 6 hours ago and bought tickets to fly to NYC for 5 days, arriving in 48 hours time from this post. am staying at one of the marriotts in middle manhattan.

i will absolutely skip the main tourist spots i.e. times square and empire state building etc. so far i've got a few things on my radar like some hardcore steak restaurants/ seafood places etc, imma try to avoid asking my NYC colleagues since i just want this to be a quiet personal trip with the missus. anyone from there fancy a quick beer? or point me to some cool jazz bars/ blues lounges?

as for the other stuff, i really want to see what the US big chain stores are like - i've never been to a radio shack (do they still exist?), or a trader's joe (got one on my radar now). any other similar suggestions? like costco, walmart (its like an exotic human zoo, or so i hear) etc... throw me names of stores! i'll look them up. cheers lads and laddies!!

Offline andreas

• Super Idiot
    • View Profile
Re: last minute ticket to NYC, what do?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »
best pizza at keste, check out dover street market, MOMA

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 08:36:46 PM »
best pizza at keste, check out dover street market, MOMA

yep, marked MOMA now. dover street market is close to a trader's joe haha, so i'll go to both

any other suggestions for the everyday places? you know, things like krispy kreme and in-and-out burgers and whatever

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »
I guess that you’re not required to go to the requisite spots but going to the US consumerism cells seems weird. Brooklyn Botanical Gardens? BBG.org

Offline sbc5ha9iro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 05:01:14 PM »
https://www.bhphotovideo.com

For big a big department store dedicated to electronics. Radio shack is dead.

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 10:18:00 AM »
I guess that you’re not required to go to the requisite spots but going to the US consumerism cells seems weird. Brooklyn Botanical Gardens? BBG.org

Going to get a glimpse of what the everyday american life is like as if i'll get some insights never acquired by run of the mill journalists and thinkers. Trust me it's gonna be the new hipster thing

Botanical garden may be doable, ill take some selfies with the orchids just for you, if i made it there

MOMA was great. Funny enough, i enjoyed the classical work way more than the modern work, 90%of those werent that great

Chelasea market was good, but then again i fall in love with any shithole that sells fresh seafood and good wine

Offline andreas

• Super Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 04:15:24 PM »

Going to get a glimpse of what the everyday american life is like as if i'll get some insights never acquired by run of the mill journalists and thinkers. Trust me it's gonna be the new hipster thing

Botanical garden may be doable, ill take some selfies with the orchids just for you, if i made it there

MOMA was great. Funny enough, i enjoyed the classical work way more than the modern work, 90%of those werent that great

Chelasea market was good, but then again i fall in love with any shithole that sells fresh seafood and good wine
modern art is typically better at being polarizing than awe-inspiring. i felt the same way at phl museum of art

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 06:14:58 AM »
so i've left NY and gotten back, one tip for those of you travelling to/from the US - dont take united airline even if it's leagues cheaper. my package was a direct flight from hong kong to JFK via United, and the return was JFK-tokyo-hong kong via ANA and EVERYTHING about the flight was two ends of the spectrum. we actually felt cramped in the business class seats and mine was dirty, food was horrid and the screen at my seat just.. didn't work. luckily i loaded a whole season of house of cards onto my tablet before we left home so it didn't bother me, but can you imagine a 15 hour flight like that? but im just old man ranting now

hit up a few cool restaurants there.. Marea and blue hill were very good but pricey as hell, wolfgang's for some dry aged steak which are very good for their price, also went to chipotle/ red lobster/ lobster&burger (it's british yeah i know, never been anyway)/ dunkin donuts/ chick-fil-a/ five guys and holy fucking crap are their portions of food huge. how are they fitting for a human sized human?

if i ever move to manhattan i'd literally choose where to live based on its proximity to a trader joe's, i struggled to find healthy food for breakfast (need my proteins not sugars and carbs) and ended up buying salad and grilled chicken the day prior

i really liked the steam coming out of random potholes on the streets tho, so iconic

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 06:14:58 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special