The Street > The Bike Shop

Looping Out/Trails

(1/2) > >>

Travis Bickle:
I’m 5’7”, riding a 20.5 frame. I’ve lengthened my chain stay length recently yet, for some reason I’m still landing back-end heavy every time I ride trails, especially when I try to tuck for height. I’ve tried to correct this consciously while riding, but it’s still happening.

Do I need a longer top tube? I feel comfortable on my bike, but it feels twitchy in the air, almost sketchy.

Current frame is a Fit VH3. 74.5 HT, 13.75 CS, 11.7 BB & 20.5 TT.

Thanks

Narcoleptic Insomniac:
Longer stem/lower bars maybe?

Travis Bickle:
I tried lower bars. I swapped out my Credence 8.7 rise for Grand Slams 8.25 but it didn’t really help much

weedbix:
Another idea along the lines of longer stem/TT, lower bars would be a lower BB too

Having said that, I wouldn't rule out technique, particularly if you find yourself touching down further down the landing. A lot of people new to trails or who have hard crazy crashes early on have an automatic apprehension of nosing landings. Part of the reason I hate doing airs on a quarter still to this day is that I had a few hard nose cases (and have the chipped teeth to match) on a dirt quarter I used to ride. When I got the chance to ride real trails in the 90's I was quite concerned about it, particularly because trails got bigger and steeper and were gnarlier than the jumps at the local race track I was used to. To help allay this I learnt to nose bonk smaller tables - basically you intentionally dip the front end on the way over so that your front wheel rolls along the top a bit, and then you lift it up again quickly before the landing. Maybe, if apprehension is your caper, that might help

nwcstn:
One thing I've found technique wise is doing a quarter crank forward when I feel like I might to loop out. This gets your front foot low to the ground putting all your weight on the one foot will lower your center of gravity considerably and can often be the little bit that's needed to Lee you from looping out. I dunno might be all in my head but it's saved quite a bit, give it a try and see how it works for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version