Others > Bike Gallery

Handbuilt

(1/3) > >>

Eject:
Haven't done one of these in a while.

Here's my latest bike build.
Built the frame from scratch with tubes and bits acquired from S&M. Hand mitered all the tubes and fillet brazed it using bronze filler. Many hours of work in this one, but it was all worth it.

Enjoy the photos.

Thepoolman:
always curious how a brazed frame would hold up?

Dr. Steve Brule:
Brazed joints are very strong, generally the tube will fail before a brazed joint. Whether this applies to thicker BMX tubing I'm not too sure but I'm sure if done well it will be just as good as a TIG weld.

KillSeth:
Pretty sure I recall you always having sick bikes. This is no exception. Would love to see how everything holds up. Have you ridden a brazed frame before?

Eject:

--- Quote from: Thepoolman on May 08, 2017, 09:26:43 PM ---always curious how a brazed frame would hold up?

--- End quote ---

Don't think it should be a problem. Curtis Bikes in the UK makes brazed BMX frames (racing) and I've heard nothing bad about them. There are many custom MTB makers who braze as well (including bikes intended for enduro and DH).

--- Quote from: Dr. Steve Brule on May 09, 2017, 03:43:05 AM ---Brazed joints are very strong, generally the tube will fail before a brazed joint. Whether this applies to thicker BMX tubing I'm not too sure but I'm sure if done well it will be just as good as a TIG weld.

--- End quote ---

That's what my research has shown as well. Main difference is just time. Brazing takes longer and requires more finishing work - at least if you want to go for the smooth fillet look.

--- Quote from: KillSeth on May 09, 2017, 09:57:28 AM ---Pretty sure I recall you always having sick bikes. This is no exception. Would love to see how everything holds up. Have you ridden a brazed frame before?

--- End quote ---

Cheers. Quite happy with this one.
I don't ride as hard anymore, so I'm probably not the one who'd break this frame even if it was made from styrofoam. Haha!
Either way I did a bunch of testing of my brazed joins before actually making a frame and a 90 single degree T-join made from top tube sized tubing supported my entire body weight.
Also tried to pull apart/twist/break joins made from smaller diameter tubing by clamping it in a vice and attaching an extension bar. As the doctor said above, the steel tube failed before I could even see the join being affected. Good sign.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version