Multimedia

Author Topic: dk golf bag now considered oversized luggage +$200 each way  (Read 10974 times)

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
word is that now airlines are charging golfbags as oversized luggage?

ive always been able to fit my bmx bike under the 62in oversized dimension standard but it takes an hour or two to pack and then i usually have to repack it again cuase fuck man ..and even then i get to the airport and they try to charge me a bike fee and i have to argue its under oversized dimensions unlike a road/mtb

so i was finally gonna cave in and get a dk golfbag which IS oversized dimensions but airlines have always waived the fee for oversized golfbags ...but not anymore
dimensions of the dk golffbag are 51" + 15 1/4" + 12" = 78in
airline oversized dimensions are 62in

anyone ever get charged fees for their dk golfbag? is anyone currently, frequently using theirs with much success, no failures?

ive flown (and bus'd) numerous times with my bmx and many times i have ALMOST been charged an extra $100+ having my bmx with me

Brooklynrider

Re: dk golf bag now considered oversized luggage +$200 each way
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
It really depends on the airline. I've seen some airlines that charge extra for it being a bike, even though in a box and then some more for it being oversize. I usually try to get my bike in a box that is definitely under the limit and weight, and keep my mouth shut about whats in it. Golf bags can be considered "sporting equipment" and also have a $50 or more fee, even if its not oversize or overweight.

Offline 14thStbikes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 11:37:58 PM »
I've used the hawks nest bike bag with no issues in the pst year. Just kept it in the weight limit.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 02:06:45 AM »
Whenever I fly budget the charge seem to be the same for bikes and golf bags. When flying major airlines I havent had to pay.

I have it and it has a good build quality. Only thing annoying is the structure. Only the bottom 20 % of the bag has a plastic cover that makes the bag flex like hell when you roll it. Not sure if the Odyssey one has more structure.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline Gnariman

• Bellend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »
time to discontinue them. I wonder if they will allow returns for people that paid after the rule changed

Edit: looks like they are sold out

Offline 14thStbikes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 08:04:02 PM »
The odyssey bag does not have much support other than bag contents. Needs to be propped against something to stand upright.

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 06:48:46 AM »
So has anyone actually been charged for DK Golf Bag?

I've never had any issues flying with one but I do check it in as my normal luggage. It has been considered oversize nearly every time but I've never been charged for it. I just have to take it to a different desk and pick it up from a different desk.
One of the best tips to avoid paying (which I think I got from here) is that if anyone asks what's in there say 'the usual and some bicycle parts' rather than a bicycle. You could say some shit about going to a trade show or something but no one has ever given a fuck to look into it any further.
Hangovers and trains

Offline NewYorkRider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 11:35:52 PM »
das gay

Offline DaButtRaptor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »
Damn, atrocious. Wish there was a kids/folding/bmx bike category for airlines, because I have kid money. Our shit is half the size of a road bike. Has anyone tried wrapping their assembled bike up in plastic, and taping it around all sketch for flight? read that as an option on a few airlines....
when am I granted avatar access?

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 05:05:03 AM »
So has anyone actually been charged or is this bullshit?
Hangovers and trains

Offline nwcstn

• British Juggalo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 12:02:53 PM »
Fly southwest, 2 free checked bags means employees don't give a shit. I've even been called back to the baggage because they found out I had a bike and just wanted me to let the air out of the tires. If you're worried about paying for a bag go to a military surplus and buy a canvas bag. I can fit my bmx in one if I split my front end at the stem, pull my back wheel off and take my pedals off. Works good too because you can roll the bag up when you get where you're going and strap it too your backpack, pedal from the airport.

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 07:58:17 AM »
If you’re going somewhere sunny it’s golf or camp gear, somewhere cold then it’s snowboard gear. Also you do not have to let the air out of the tires, according to the calculation (from a NASA engineer) the PSI only increases about 8 psi during the flight

Offline RideTheWoods

• View Profile
    • PAWOODS
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 04:56:32 PM »

I have DK bag I haven't used in probably 5 years.  I do remember when I did used to use it more often, I would get hassled HARD for it being oversized, even then.  I was always able to talk my way around the fees, but one time flying United at LAX and arguing with the manager for half hour, I literally had to pretend to leave, and then came back in, spoke to a different counter agent who didn't hassle, and made my flight. 

I'm flying to Phoenix on Monday with Southwest Airlines, and now a little nervous due to the size restriction.  What you guys think?  Time to hunt down a smaller bag?   Anybody know if that Odyssey Hawk's Nest bag is within the oversized dimensions?   

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 11:35:38 AM »

I have DK bag I haven't used in probably 5 years.  I do remember when I did used to use it more often, I would get hassled HARD for it being oversized, even then.  I was always able to talk my way around the fees, but one time flying United at LAX and arguing with the manager for half hour, I literally had to pretend to leave, and then came back in, spoke to a different counter agent who didn't hassle, and made my flight. 

I'm flying to Phoenix on Monday with Southwest Airlines, and now a little nervous due to the size restriction.  What you guys think?  Time to hunt down a smaller bag?   Anybody know if that Odyssey Hawk's Nest bag is within the oversized dimensions?

nah you won’t have a single issue they r one of the chillest airlines out there

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 11:35:38 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special