Multimedia

Author Topic: 15 Years on the forum  (Read 133542 times)

Offline jeffro

• Ladykiller.
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Years on the forum
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 08:16:34 AM »
Christ, it's been a while. As a shit-scared (and shit-haired) 19 year old, I remember this place and you lot literally being a coping mechanism when I found out about my ex getting pregnant. It amazes me how much comfort can be sound from so-called strangers.

Nine years later, here we are!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:18:47 AM by jeffro »

Offline I <3 Gore.

• is a hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 05:23:43 PM »
Been lurking since 01' registered since 03' and due to circumstances I don't feel like describing had to ditch my old account for this one in 05'.

Fuck I am old, but I still shoot footy with the old crew and ride pretty regularly at 32yo.

Offline torontoflatlander

• Veteran
  • This guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 10:10:54 PM »
June 25 2004, just over 13 years of the little blue site with the shadiest bunch of people on the internet. Bikeguide needs a revival.

Edit:Going through super old PM's and got back to some pretty in depth things with Brian Itzania. Shame that guy left the way he did. He used to work for Masi bikes, and it turns out years later I'd be working to distribute them. BG works in mysterious ways.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:16:10 PM by torontoflatlander »
Quote from: The Fresh Pinch;3592393
No one likes a salty member.

Offline Boomhauer

• Least Favourite JUGGALO by far
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2017, 03:25:48 AM »
Pretty sure I joined in 04 so 14 years of being hated and ragging on Shadow products.. None of that has changed.
Quote from: Bink;3116353
Yeah, f**k that.  Grind everything.
Quote from: skateparkrider;3612141
The gussets are awesome.  My wife has been needing my name carved into her for about a decade.

Offline Trail-Boss

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 07:35:02 PM »
June 25 2004, just over 13 years of the little blue site with the shadiest bunch of people on the internet. Bikeguide needs a revival.

Edit:Going through super old PM's and got back to some pretty in depth things with Brian Itzania. Shame that guy left the way he did. He used to work for Masi bikes, and it turns out years later I'd be working to distribute them. BG works in mysterious ways.

Yeah its crazy to think about how many people from here Ive met and ridden with over the years... Brian being one of them. Unfortunately all things, both good and bad, will come to an end. I enjoyed the so called "hayday" of bike guide and I'm sure a lot of others here did as well and to me it will be something I never forget! This place pretty much got me working on my own bike and eventually to the place I am in today.

Offline apostasia

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2017, 09:43:54 AM »
Member since 2008 only but have been lurking around much longer (and on a related note found out my RideMonkey profile is from 2002).
Actually I just came here today after not having visited for years with the vague intent of maybe starting a thread just for old 35+ people and about how they experience riding now vs when being younger. And then this was like the first thread. Loving the coincidence.

After years of not really doing any proper riding at all this is finally the year I'm sort of back on the streets regularly. And it I'm enjoying it more than ever despite riding worse than ever. Even simple grinds and manuals and small gaps feel like actual tricks these days and leave behind that good feeling we're all doing it for. I almost reached ultimate bliss when I did a manual to double peg on a one foot ledge yesterday. Maybe it's just because I now really do it *just* for the fun, while 10yrs ago ther were still too much hormones ditcating the brain it's never good enough and stronger/harder/faster are proper life goals. Meh. Anyone else feel like that or am I just crazy?

Yeah, f**k that.  Grind everything.

I even remember this being the quote in a signature and always loved it. Not going to say I lived by it as well, but still close though.

Btw since all forums seem to be slowly dying, where do all the youngsters hang out these days? Where do they hold their pointless discussions about which color for your grips gives you the most grip?

Offline Boomhauer

• Least Favourite JUGGALO by far
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »

Yeah its crazy to think about how many people from here Ive met and ridden with over the years... Brian being one of them. Unfortunately all things, both good and bad, will come to an end. I enjoyed the so called "hayday" of bike guide and I'm sure a lot of others here did as well and to me it will be something I never forget! This place pretty much got me working on my own bike and eventually to the place I am in today.

Speaking of,  it was awesome to meet you and ride Brookhurst..  Also thanks for the 120* tall can and sorry the other one got so hot that it blew up in your car hahahahahahaha!

Edit* actually that was Donald but you were there rocking the front brakes so at least it's something we can all remember and laugh about..

Is Ken still doing bike parts at all?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 05:08:07 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Bink;3116353
Yeah, f**k that.  Grind everything.
Quote from: skateparkrider;3612141
The gussets are awesome.  My wife has been needing my name carved into her for about a decade.

Offline gnar_rider

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
whoa, i haven't logged into BG in a couple years. thought of bmx-forum last week and saw it was basically a ghost town and then checked this place. what are the odds this is the first thread that popped up. several familiar usernames, several familiar avatars with changed usernames. i no longer remember what hank chinaski's username was before the current one but I think it used to be something different.

i joined in february of 2006  :o

I remember that well. I would like to think I wrote some good stuff on there and helped a few kids, but some of them were quite dense.

moderating bmx-forum inspired me to condense my knowledge into a blog, which has changed names and is now more focused on mountain bike stuff. too bad I don't work in a bike shop any more, I am running out of inspiration! what should I write next?

You were a moderator on bmx-forum? did you have a different username? I was especially when I was 18-19-20 so 7 or 8 years ago but I don't remember exactly all of the fellow moderators. I noticed I could still log in the other day with my old log in, and the place was a ghost town.

After the crashes it was never put back together again.

bmx-f crashes? what happened?
lost your job? keep buying foreign.

Offline Merry

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • @SoxMerry
    • View Profile
    • Ryder Distribution
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »
I can't remember the last time I posted on here, nor can I remember the last time I rode my bike; I want to say late 2015? I definitely wouldn't mind taking a rip soon.

According to the the ol' profile, I registered in 2004. Since then, the following things have happened...

- Graduated from high school in 2005.
- Graduated from university in 2010 with a Bachelor of Arts, Major in English.
- Managed a telecommunications store from 2010 to 2014.
- Had shoulder surgery.
- Played literally hundreds of gigs, and literally thousands of songs.
- Got engaged.
- Got a dog.
- Fiancé left me.
- Fiancé took the dog.
- Lost pretty much everything.
- Started a career job.
- Met the girl of my dreams, or re-met the girl of my dreams, seeing as though we had dated for a little over a year way back in grade nine.
- Somehow convinced her to move back to Atlantic Canada from Toronto.
- Bought a house.

Currently, I'm 30-years-old, I'm in the best shape of my life, have an incredibly challenging job that I look forward to doing for the rest of my life, have an incredible girlfriend, will likely be getting a dog soon, and have never been happier.

Also, the Sox have been hovering around first place in the AL East all season, so....
Follow me on Twitter, ya bums: @SoxMerry

Offline Leon_Sumbitches

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2017, 03:51:20 AM »
Joined up as a 14 year old in '05. I vowed to stop wasting time on this site back in 2011 or 2012, and succeeded. But I have to say I miss you all and feel dreadfully nostalgic looking back on it; way more than I would have expected. The personalities on here, for better or worse, had a big impact on me during very impressionable years. Thanks for the good times & (mostly virtual) companionship everyone! It's a weird thought, but I'll probably never forget you guys—even if the site were to be shut down tomorrow.

After years of not really doing any proper riding at all this is finally the year I'm sort of back on the streets regularly. And it I'm enjoying it more than ever despite riding worse than ever. Even simple grinds and manuals and small gaps feel like actual tricks these days and leave behind that good feeling we're all doing it for. I almost reached ultimate bliss when I did a manual to double peg on a one foot ledge yesterday. Maybe it's just because I now really do it *just* for the fun, while 10yrs ago ther were still too much hormones ditcating the brain it's never good enough and stronger/harder/faster are proper life goals. Meh. Anyone else feel like that or am I just crazy?

I never completely stopped riding, but have had a big resurgence of interest in it again recently. I've had the exact same experience. I wasn't very good at the peak of my skills, and am now decidedly mediocre, but throwing together tiny street lines is totally fulfilling these days, now that I've utterly abandoned any adolescent idea of ever becoming good/hardcore/whatever.

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 08:06:45 AM »
joined bg 2005 - sucked at riding but did it often
still on bg 2017 - suck at riding and don't bmx often

Anyone still doing custom shit to their brakes? Customized stuff was something I really liked seeing on the site.
Hangovers and trains

Offline apostasia

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2017, 01:51:55 PM »
Anyone still doing custom shit to their brakes?

Made an alu adapter to fit Magura HS33 on canti mounts years ago and still use it. Not sure that is the type of customization you mean?
From the recent videos I see there's more people without brakes than with brakes though.

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2017, 11:45:43 PM »
That's exactly what I'm talking about
Hangovers and trains

Offline apostasia

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2017, 05:44:20 AM »
In that case, here's a picture. It's actually not a canti mount but a U mount (at least I assume that's the official name).

Hand cut/filed from a plate of 6061 I think.
I don't recall why exactly I went nuts with my drill, might have been affected by the weight weenie hype.
The caliper isn't cracked, that's a hair from our white cat.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 05:47:05 AM by apostasia »

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2017, 08:28:39 AM »
did they work much better than u brakes in the end?
Hangovers and trains

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2017, 08:28:39 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello