Multimedia

Author Topic: Shorter Cranks  (Read 6804 times)

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Shorter Cranks
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:43:58 AM »
I've seen a couple bike checks where guys are using shorther cranks. In one check, Broc Raiford was running 165mm on a 21.25 frame. im curious why a big guy like that would ride such short cranks or what advantages there are...

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
Re: Shorter Cranks
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 06:50:04 AM »
I have pretty much always used 180mm but recently I'm going shorter because I feel like it is easier on my knees and I like the feel. I've heard some people say you get better pop with shorter cranks. If you jump on the spot then try to do the same thing with your feet 20mm further apart it makes a bit of sense. For taller guys running short cranks gives you more clearance from the back pegs.
Hangovers and trains

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 06:07:58 AM »
When I started riding I only rode 180 mm as that was what I thought I "should" be riding being 6.3".
I later on went down to 175 mm for a long time until I started playing around with the street/flat hybrid-trend and got 160 mm.

I have been riding 160 for 5 years now and love it. It is harder to crank but your feet are closer together which I feel help when doing tricks and carving around pools and vert ramps.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 12:42:08 AM »
It's also more durable to run a shorter crank. Less force (leverage) to bend, snap, or twist your cranks and spindle

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:46:02 AM »
When I ran 175s I would occasionally have my pedal strike the ground while back pedaling rolling out of a fakie. Hasn't happened since I switched to 165s. The shorter cranks just feel more comfortable in general too. The only downside is you get less leverage when pedaling hard to accelerate quickly on a tight run up but I guess you could compensate by running a 1 tooth smaller sprocket.

Offline Sasper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 05:29:15 AM »
shorter cranks = easier oppo spins , oppo tailwhips etc, if you ride 4 pegs it will give you better clearance on the rearfoot since it is closer to bb center, I want to try 165mm cranks , but when Thunderbolts first came out I got 175mm instead.

"The Great 2013 Bikeguide Suicide Re-format"

:)
G.

Offline Gnariman

• Bellend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 12:08:37 PM »
For taller guys running short cranks gives you more clearance from the back pegs.

I feel it's mostly this. It sucks if you loop out and have your heel catch the peg with the back foot. Imagine in an ice pick on a rail... Vince Carter dunks all day!

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 12:08:37 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello