Multimedia

Author Topic: Wide Body Pedals  (Read 11559 times)

Offline CMB

• View Profile
Wide Body Pedals
« on: May 18, 2017, 10:01:55 PM »
I'm currently running Ruben aluminum pedals but want to get a wider body pedal to fit my big foot. I know the Grandstands are pretty wide. I know they're not sealed but I heard they have a bushing instead of loose ball bearings? Not entirely sure, kid at the bike shop didn't seem too convincing. I like the Demolition Troopers, they look wider than Rubens. Anybody have a pair to confirm? Also looking at Fit Macs and Deluxe Pedals. Any input, feedback and sarcastic comments are appreciated :)
refs: Alice Glass, laloest33, Rusty, mphelps, .SIN., milhous, jaymeatsack, CHROME_RIMS_YO, LittleDevil661, Piffery, Trvsty, Patty, toady, shutta, cb4130, Black Miguel, BGB, onewaystu, Bunky, arcadecycles, LeonLikesToRock & more!

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
Re: Wide Body Pedals
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:14:36 AM »
I really miss my premium pedals. I'm on Al Rubens and they're alright but if I could figure out how to get my premiums off my old cranks, I'd go back in a second. I may buy another pair actually.

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 03:40:29 AM »
If you are interested in plastic pedals the Cult Daks are fair wide. I think the Eclat Surge pedals have a pretty wide platform too. As far as bang for buck wide pedals the grandstands are pretty hard to beat.

Also obligatory BG mention of Atomlab Trailkings.
Hangovers and trains

Offline Karsten4130

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:58:34 AM »
I have size 12 shoes and ride the Grandstands, before i had Odyssey Trailmix (sealed). So far i really like them. Only issue i had so far was created by myself when i overtightened them which made them lock up because of the friction on the locking nut.
"The best BMXer is the one that has the most fun." - Sergio Layos

Offline milhous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 08:33:43 AM »
I have the aluminum Grandstands on my race bike. They ave been a great pedal so far, and definitely have a large platform.

I ran the Eclat Surge alloys before those, and they were great as well. Only downside is they are a bit expensive (over $100 now unfortunatley), and I had the bushings blow out a couple times from hard end impacts.

Offline LuckyLuke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 09:11:46 PM »
Tree metal pedals are good. Decently wide with good grip.

Offline O.G. David

• View Profile
    • http://vimeo.com/user576863
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 01:51:46 AM »
Deluxe pedals are no good, platform is too tiny, pins are brittle ones with cruciform heads. You can get them by the name Wellgo B25 for much cheaper also.
Atomlab Trailkings are good but pins have a wider diameter so you're stuck with longer than needed pins and they rip everything. Also best ones have "Marvin Loetterle" etched on them, those are the ones that get the less wobble. Have them, love them but pins damage everything they touch, be it car interior or shins.
Animal Hamilton pedals are so comfy and sturdy, they feel so much better than Trailmixes.
Had a look at Demolition Troopers, they're copies of Atomlab Trailkings with smaller pins, so plenty wide pedals!

I

Offline rich

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »
I have the metal grandstands. They are the widest pedals I've ever had - almost too wide. The pins are savage, and they screw in from the back so you can trash them and still get them out. To be honest if you're riding something other than trails, they might be too much for you.

The bushing system is pretty good, you have to tighten it up every now and then but it does allow for a much bigger spindle than other pedals.

In short if you want a huge pedal with more grip than anything else that's also hella strong, they are spot on.  Maybe not so great if you like taking your feet off or if you like your shins. They'd be awesome for mountain biking too.

Offline Zoidberg

• Doctor
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 10:31:40 AM »
I have pc oddy grandstands on all my three bikes, they're dope.

Offline Thepoolman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »
i found a set of these older atom lab trailpimps on ebay for 15 bucks... they are huge and amazing...   if you can find a pair... do it.

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 12:29:13 PM »
EClat AK pedals are massive definitely bigger than the reubens.

Offline Davet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 03:19:36 PM »
I just put on a pair of PC Grandstands, they feel fantasitic, I had used PC Hamiltons and really liked them until they stopped making the wide wrench flats, but the Odysseys fell a lot better!

Offline Zoidberg

• Doctor
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 02:18:35 AM »

Having ridden the plastic grandslams for a while now, I've noticed an issue, after a while they squeak.

I've had a mechanic regrease them but it is basically intermittent and very annoying.

It's a slap as they're def the most comfy pedals I've had so thinking of getting the aluminium ones but might go for something else.

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »
Tree metal pedals are good. Decently wide with good grip.

Just dropping by to say the Tree pedals are actually literal piles of garbage. 

But the Grandstands and the BSD Reed Stark ones are pretty deece.
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline Zoidberg

• Doctor
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »

Having ridden the plastic grandslams for a while now, I've noticed an issue, after a while they squeak.

I've had a mechanic regrease them but it is basically intermittent and very annoying.

It's a slap as they're def the most comfy pedals I've had so thinking of getting the aluminium ones but might go for something else.

Up graded to the ali versions, they squeaked straight off the bat. It's infuriating listening to it all day, it's like I'm the pied piper.

Ody, can you do normal versions with the same bodies pls, pls, pls, pls.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special