Multimedia

Author Topic: Tubeless bmx  (Read 10588 times)

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
Tubeless bmx
« on: March 08, 2017, 03:49:28 AM »
I got a pinch flat at the park the other day and it really fucked me off. Has anyone made a tubeless bmx rim or tyre yet? I know Alienation were trying it for racing but they seem to be a ghost town these days.

Option B. Has anyone converted 2.25 Rubens for tubeless using Stans? Will it give me an extra inch in length or girth?
Hangovers and trains

Offline JFax

• View Profile
Re: Tubeless bmx
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 06:34:52 AM »
I havent seen anything being mass-produced yet. However, strong tyres, heavy duty tube and chalk between the tube and tyre would make the setup nearly non-punctureable if you keep it at high PSI.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 03:45:32 AM »
High PSI ain't hap'nen. Might have to try ghetto tubeless with a 12" tube or something.
Hangovers and trains

Offline BonerhasBent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
Alienation tried this a few years ago. I believe I either saw this system at Interbike or another system a few years back.

http://bmxultra.com/review/alienation_tubeless_compatible_system-2/

I think its a great idea, almost all MTB and even road bikes now are running tubeless. It makes a lot of sense IMO. BMX freestyle would be a little tricky because of the stress on the tire and having to inflate can be a hassle as well as having to pump your tires up on a regular basis. I don't know why BMX race doesn't have some supper supple thin tubeless tires for elite racing.

Offline Louis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »
Yet to try one of these, but you still need some stuff like a pump or walking to get air (if either are even an option)

http://www.empirebmx.com/flybikes-cobra-tube

& there's always the chance of doing the same thing since it's still a tube.

Offline erenes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 03:57:27 PM »
I have tubless ready 20" rims (299g 35mm OD wide, and 330g, 40mm OD wide), but always too lazy to try and no sealant.
Also always drilling F/V presta to A/V auto and usin a tube to build the bike quickly and go out.
A/V valves with thread are available, so I might try one day once I get new tires. Wondering if thick tires like BSD will be easy to seal with compressor and how they wilk hold the air.

I did some getto tubless on mtb 27.5" with basic Shwalbe tires (non tubless ones), just rotated and shaked the wheel few times in 24h, the sidewall was leaking some tubless milk, then sealed completly. It was working.

Offline jonathan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 03:21:38 PM »
no mountain biker would be caught dead with tubes in their tires these days. I am surprised that BMX companies have not figured this out yet. make the equivalent of a 36h, 20" Flow EX rim and put some Orange Seal in it at 65 psi.

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 04:12:23 PM »
I'd be all over a tubeless BMX set up. Someone get on it.

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 06:39:28 PM »
I wouldn't touch tubeless with a ten foot pole

Offline jonathan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 07:17:48 PM »
Tubeless BMX or tubeless period? I regularly ride with literally hundreds of mountain bikers and not a single one of them fucks with tubes anymore.

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »
I guess it depends on what kind of tire pressure you run. I prefer low psi on my BMX (50 or so) so tubeless would be good as long as it's a set and forget deal. If you run high pressure then the benefits are few. Road tubeless is pretty pointless.

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »
Sorry for the late reply gents

I don't really have a big bike mindset as I've only ever ridden BMX. I am sus on tube + clincher tire -> tubeless conversions for the little bikes. Feel free to notch it up to skepticism rather than any experience as I have none with it. My mechanic career was exclusive to BMX and single speed rigids. I have seen enough tire failures from low pressure + sideways landings with rims and tires properly seated due to wallowing that the idea of putting another layer between bead and rim (tubeless conversion) is not something I would do personally, not that I run low pressure to begin with. The last time I rode trails (probably 10 years ago now) I was rocking 110psi lol

I'm in my mid-late 30's now and my body is a wreck but I don't find high pressure too bad. I have never broken a wrist (touch wood) so that might have something to do with it

A purpose-built tubeless system, now that is an entirely different kettle of fish

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello