Multimedia

Author Topic: My Mom invented aggresive rollerblading in the 50s  (Read 7343 times)

Offline Davet

• View Profile
My Mom invented aggresive rollerblading in the 50s
« on: January 01, 2017, 03:08:37 PM »
I think it was related to that watepark break in, but she started telling us how in the when she was a kid (in the 50's) her and her friend used to go to this spot behind a movie theater with a downhill part that went into a part of smooth concrete that went up--down-up and they used to shred back and forth (not her words haha)

Offline Davet

• View Profile
Re: My Mom invented aggresive rollerblading in the 50s
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »
That reminded me of something I had seen a while back and I was able to find an article about it:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/gallery/2013/jun/13/edwardian-stunt-bikers-in-pictures

I guess it's not surprising since kids naturally seem to want to jump and off ledges etc on foot, that they would want to do the same on any thing they are riding

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »
There's a group of early - late 30s women who roller skate a couple of bowls at the park. It's handstands, some flyouts to rolling poses and spine "stalls".

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 07:32:59 PM »
If you ride anything with wheels and don't instinctively feel the urge jump off/over stuff you're probable a sad, soulless bastard.

Offline Davet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:56:30 PM »
Has anyone seen that pic of a guy on a Schwinn stingray carving a pool from the 60's - 70's?, not sure if it was before actual bmx bikes were around, sorry  a little blurry on history

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 10:06:09 PM »
If you ride anything with wheels and don't instinctively feel the urge jump off/over stuff you're probable a sad, soulless bastard.

It's 2017, requisite you include cold, heartless bitch in that. Speaking of inclusivity; one of the persons in that crew is trans.

Me and some friends took a roadtrip into the desert to ride a pool last spring. Upon exploring the hashtags for it, I found another group of roller skating women who took a similar roadtrip. Not sure if I would try to land one of these ladies.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:09:26 PM by Prodigal Son »

Offline Davet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 07:43:04 PM »

It's 2017, requisite you include cold, heartless bitch in that. Speaking of inclusivity; one of the persons in that crew is trans.

Me and some friends took a roadtrip into the desert to ride a pool last spring. Upon exploring the hashtags for it, I found another group of roller skating women who took a similar roadtrip. Not sure if I would try to land one of these ladies.

Yeah I just goggle that and there are actually aggressive QUAD skates and my thought on seeing this vid was yikes, my mom might be...on the other team?? or maybe just atheletic haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o07j99VHxxs

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »
So THATS when they started calling them trampolines.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special