Multimedia

Author Topic: Road touring gear? Touring advice?  (Read 23857 times)

Offline Rusty

• A22's Loverboy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Road touring gear? Touring advice?
« on: November 11, 2016, 02:42:14 PM »
need some good touring gear  for my fairdale as I'd like to get into the whole bike packing thing. Northern California has some amazing wildlife and I'm finding my bike to be great for climbing and long distance. Maybe some of your can chime in on the gear you use, packing methods, supply lists, etc. I know it's a bit trendy judging but it's a whole lot cheaper than the whole VW van life bandwagon.

Anyways I really was needing good front rack advice. I have been looking at the Soma Porteur Deluxe rack. Pretty sure it is compatible. Would like something without fences and a big platform. Seems like a good "right in the middle" rack. Not flimsy and weak and not some handcrafted over built accessory.

http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/porteur-rack-stainless-steel

Also been looking into Jandd since I have one of their saddle backs which is quite nice. This seems like it may fit my fairdale a little better style wise but I think I'll like a bigger platform from the Soma.

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FREXT

As far as the whole camping thing, I've never done it before let alone on a bike. I've been doing a lot of reading online into what different people do but I still wanna hear anything I can. Was gonna buy a small heat source to use a pot or skillet and bring small things like coffee, snacks(protein/carbs), dehydrated meals (trader joes has some good stuff that's shelf stable), and some thing sweet. I've read it's a good idea to eat but it seems like cheating. There are a lot of campsites around me but I'm curious if people lock their bikes when they nod off and keep the bags/gear close( this will probably be my course of action ). Could use a nice tent recommendation. Obviously something that packs away small and is affordable. I'll  be honest I'm probably gonna go get a book on camping because I feel a bit in over my head since I've never been camping but I'm very excited to plan trips for this spring.

Chime in here guys!
Thanks

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Road touring gear? Touring advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 05:51:25 PM »
Sounds awesome. I can't offer any advice on gear but I suggest you take a couple of overnight camping trips close to home at first. It'll give you a rough idea of what stuff you definitely want to bring and what you can do without and also what it's like to ride a loaded bike. Water purification tablets are a good idea especially if you're gonna be in remote locations. I wouldn't consider dehydrated meals cheating.

As for loading the bike, try to load heavier items on the front rack. This helps with bike handling and stability. A mountain descent on a rear-heavy bike is gonna be sketchy. Consider a frame bag. Use the rear rack or saddle bag for bulky but lightweight items such as a sleeping bag or tent. Bring condoms.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 11:10:42 PM »
Get a hammock instead of a tent. You can get a rain fly for them too. If you're going to campgrounds, I doubt water purification should be anything to worry about. A jet boil is nice for dehydrated foods. You could probably do better if you're only doing a couple of days. Usually you can buy a cord of firewood for ~$10 at state campgrounds.

Offline Rusty

• A22's Loverboy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 02:48:00 AM »
Sounds awesome. I can't offer any advice on gear but I suggest you take a couple of overnight camping trips close to home at first. It'll give you a rough idea of what stuff you definitely want to bring and what you can do without and also what it's like to ride a loaded bike. Water purification tablets are a good idea especially if you're gonna be in remote locations. I wouldn't consider dehydrated meals cheating.

As for loading the bike, try to load heavier items on the front rack. This helps with bike handling and stability. A mountain descent on a rear-heavy bike is gonna be sketchy. Consider a frame bag. Use the rear rack or saddle bag for bulky but lightweight items such as a sleeping bag or tent. Bring condoms.

So just so I have a check list accurate a front rack + panniers is more than enough for overnight or more camping trip? Really all I'm trying to accomplish starting out. I know I'll need a rear rack but I'm on a budget and big bike stuff is expensive! The local has a nice Jandd frame bag that I've been super tempted to buy but its orange... Would prefer black but I'm sure they'd order me one.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:53:57 AM by Rusty »

Offline Rusty

• A22's Loverboy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 02:57:38 AM »
Get a hammock instead of a tent. You can get a rain fly for them too. If you're going to campgrounds, I doubt water purification should be anything to worry about. A jet boil is nice for dehydrated foods. You could probably do better if you're only doing a couple of days. Usually you can buy a cord of firewood for ~$10 at state campgrounds.

Got any good experience with any campsites in the bay? I gonna be starting out doing overnighters  fairly local so I'd probably be picking up a gallon in town before making camp. I was looking into the half moon bay campsite since it's close and I love the beach.

Eventually I hope to gain the knowledge of survivalism to travel further distance......

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 09:15:40 AM »

So just so I have a check list accurate a front rack + panniers is more than enough for overnight or more camping trip? Really all I'm trying to accomplish starting out. I know I'll need a rear rack but I'm on a budget and big bike stuff is expensive! The local has a nice Jandd frame bag that I've been super tempted to buy but its orange... Would prefer black but I'm sure they'd order me one.

Yeah front rack and panniers should be enough for overnight trips. If you're on a budget don't worry too much about it. Just get what you can afford and strap anything else to your bike anyway you can (ie sleeping bag to handlebars, etc), it's supposed to be an adventure after all.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »
Santa Cruz can yield some good times I suppose Big Basin Redwoods would be a dope place to ride through.

Offline .SIN.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 06:40:56 PM »
Rusty,

I know and have ridden with Shayne, he does this type of riding all the time:

https://vimeo.com/133488408

https://www.blackburndesign.com/out-there/pacific-coast/shayne-khajehnoori/

pm me a number to reach you at and i will give you Shaynes and you can talk to him...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:42:48 PM by .SIN. »

Offline BonerhasBent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 07:07:37 PM »
My advise is, load as much as possible on the front of the bike. Ideally you want a low trail bike, but any bike will do. I personally run the Surly front rack with a Wald basket attached to the top. This allows easy access to a lot of the stuff i need during the ride, and or quick stops.. Below that 2 panniers with gear. I also run a medium frame bag, which allows me to run two bottles in the triangle, along with a 3rd bottle on the underside of the DT. I also use a big backpacking saddle bag. This is my personal setup and it works quite well for me.

I carry a tarp with me, not a tent, its more useful, lighter and easier to pack. I also bring a bivy sack, which is used almost every night. No need for a tent IMO. The tarp comes out if the weather is shit, so i have a place to chill, cook, drink, whatever. Then slip in the bivy and call it a night.
Best to check out http://www.bikepacking.com/
http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php

Also, if your a DIY type, check out RayWay. I use his tarp and quilt, they rule!
http://www.rayjardine.com/index.shtml

Here is my setup from a few years ago on the California coast tour.

Used a hammock this time, along with a tarp.

Offline Rusty

• A22's Loverboy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Road touring gear? Touring advi
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 04:20:24 AM »
thank you all for your input on this. Definitely getting more motivated by the day. I'm digging the tarp idea since a tent is a bit bulky. Mignt still invest in a small tent just so my first local overnighters are simple. Video was really inspiring as well!

I think I'm gonna buy the soma deluxe rack since it's got the wide surface with pannier support. Half moon bay, south of San Fransisco has a campground by the beach that seems very obtainable as my first overnighters on the bike.

Anyone have good literature recommendations on camping basics?

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 01:00:34 AM »
high heels and a bag full of innertubes

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 03:28:53 AM »
high heels and a bag full of innertubes

party time

Also, I watched that video with the guy with the recorder in the woods. Man, that guy has some balls. Playing a recorder is like saying "Please kill me" and being in the woods while doing it is like saying "You'll get away with it".

This stuff looks like fun but I can't get past the super hubard fashion statement of the bikes. It reminds me too much of those guys with half arsed beards wearing dorky boots and massive backpacks with clanking pots, pans and bottled water to essentially get drunk and stay in cheap accommodation in Europe. The fuck do you need to carry all that shit for?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 03:42:29 AM by LeonLikesToRock »
Hangovers and trains

Offline nwcstn

• British Juggalo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 12:33:20 AM »
Get a decent 30ish degree sleeping bag.
A foam sleeping pad (the air ones always get leaks).
Hammock and straps.
A bivy sack.

Get a basket and put yer food in it and then strap your camping stuff on top or to the basket.
Oh, and if you can't make it on a fire you're cooking food that's too fancy.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 12:38:43 AM by Han Solo »

Offline Rusty

• A22's Loverboy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 04:21:21 AM »
Not going to lie seeing builds on Instagram definitely keeps me motivated and inspired to build a rad and practical ride. But I don't understand some of these bikes I see they seem like major overkill. Can't grow a beard worth noting and I definitely can't afford all these designer brand racks and bags so I'm trying to just stick to gear tailored to overnights outside town.

Like I said in my op I don't have much camping experience but I obviously want to be able to have a safe and comfy night out in nature with my bike. Just installed a fairdale rear rack and I am still debating on what front rack I'd like to go with. Seems like I'm gonna go with a Jandd front rack since they're on sale on their website. Gotta look into some good front panniers and I think I may steal a milk crate from work to retrofit into a basket.

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 06:50:35 PM »
I ran Old Man Mountain racks front and rear on my Surly LHT with Ortlieb panniers and then strapped a load of shit ontop of them. Bring a small bag of extra nuts and bolts that mount your rack to the frame. Weigh nothing and saved my ass in Sardinia when they shook loose and fell out.

For cooking I have a Coleman 533 Sportster stove. Runs on unleaded petrol which I could find anywhere and is way cheaper than buying butane canisters. Dried food isnt cheating. You'll be thankful of meals that require no prep after a long day in the saddle. Bring some dried pasta or something that you can cook anywhere and that wont go off in the bottom of your bag. I ate a lot of bread and cheese and cured meats so having a stove isnt essential unless you're in remote places but it was a godsend when I arrived in France on a Saturday night not knowing everywhere was closed a Sunday.

Try carrying more water than you think you need. Nothing worse than running out in the middle of nowhere. You can also drink a surprising amount of beer throughout the day in between water bottle refills and not get too drunk. I would shotgun a beer before every decent hillclimb haha.

Sleeping outside is easy. I brought a tent (MSR Hubba Hubba) and a sleeping bag (Polerstuff Napsack). Used the tent alot when the weather was shit but it really depends on your climate. Once the weather got warm id just sleep on a sleeping mat in a bush or something. (bring a lightweight waterproof bivvy bag)
Rule of thumb is a 1 man tent is too small for yourself and your gear. 2 man tent is perfect. (I was fully loaded though. Never did lightweight touring).
Try setting up camp when its starting to get dark and be gone early in the morning. Early starts wont be a problem because you're gonna be so excited to get back on the road and explore.

I'd take my panniers off and bring them into the tent with me and lay the bike down outside. Clip my helmet onto the seat rails and close tent door with the shell of the helmet in the tent and the strap going through a gap in the zipper. If someone moved the bike the helmet would snag on the door and shake the tent, awakening me.
Never had any problems though.

Didn't bring a lock but I avoided big cities and rarely left the bike out of view. Kept all my valuables/documents in a handlebar bag that id unclip and bring with me everywhere. My loaded bike was heavy as fuck so id lock both brakes on and shift it into high gear when parking it in an attempt to hinder anyones attempted getaway.

Heres a few tips:

1:Bring condoms

2:Don't plan too much. Its an adventure. My plan was to go south. My map was a compass.

3:If using panniers, pack your valuable/fragile/food stuff on the driveside of your bike. Get used to lying your bike down on the non drive side. This includes resting it against a wall or something. Reduces the chances of damaging expensive gear/driveline/squashed bananas. Sometimes you have to drop the bike in a hurry to run into the woods and shit or something.

4: BRING TOILET PAPER AND REMEMBER EXACTLY WHERE IT IS. Prevents you from having to use your socks. (Ask me how I know).

5: Suitable clothing. Merino wool is fantastic. Doesn't absorb smells too much and easy to wash and dry. Dont be like me and wear cotton tshirts. You start to fucking stink after a while.

6: Try to snack constantly. Cycling a bike laden with gear burns alot of calories especially in the heat. Eat whatever the fuck you want too.

7: Look after your bike. I didnt bring chain oil and had to lube my driveline with olive oil when I was hundreds of miles from the nearest bikeshop and it started to grind.

8: Portable battery chargers. Bring one. Nothing worse than a dead phone battery when you want to take a photo or google where the closest supermarket is.

9: McDonalds is your friend. Good coffee and free wifi/electrical outlets.

10: You will have shitty days where you're miserable and want nothing more than to go home. Never make a rash decision like this on a long trip. Sleep on it and you're almost guaranteed to feel better in the morning. Cycling 100+ km a day is no easy feat. No one can do this day in day out and feel great 100% of the time but waking up in a new place each morning is an amazing and unforgettable experience. You're gonna love it.

Heres my rig when it was mostly new and shiny
http://imgur.com/a/qMUhz

Like I said in my op I don't have much camping experience but I obviously want to be able to have a safe and comfy night out in nature with my bike. 

I had never even setup my tent before I left. Once you spend a few nights outside the worry will go away and it can be very relaxing even sleeping on the ground without a tent. I slept in a alot of weird and wonderful places, under an overturned fishing boat, in an abandoned house half consumed by volcanic rock at the base of Mt Etna, on the beach, under bridges, next to motorways, old castles, graveyards just to name a few.

If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask.

(also get Tinder. Girls are super interested in a guy thats traveling the world on a bike. Try to bang some chicks in every state or something. I managed 5 out of 7 countries/islands. Awaiting your result.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:17:47 PM by hugh. »

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 06:50:35 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello