Multimedia

Author Topic: Tire pressure  (Read 14663 times)

Offline paranoidmexican

• freeeeeeeestyle
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tire pressure
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 07:55:39 AM »
Why do the flatlanders prefer such small widths? For me the bigger the tire the easier it is to carve around on one wheel.

spinning tricks
Perform an act of kindness without posting it to social media. Love one another.

Offline rich

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 04:56:15 PM »
Back in the 2.1/1.95 days, I used to prefer a softer tyre than most, around 50psi. Mostly to give the joints a bit of a break. I used to get a lot of flats.

Now I'm on 2.4/2.15, I actually run them harder, about 80. I found that big tyres flex too much otherwise. Also, I think a big tyre has more give than a narrow tyre at any given pressure - so I can now run harder pressures than before and my knees are still happy. Consequently, as well as more grip, I also have more speed on bigger tyres - not what I was expecting! I resisted big tyres for ages, but now I'm so converted that I'm really thinking about 2.4/2.4, even more speed...

Also something else I only just appreciated recently is the effect these huge new tyres have on bb height and head angle. 2.4/2.15 Rubens slacken your bike by nearly a degree, and raise the bb height by 0.4" compared to 2.1/1.95. And the wheel diameter is more like 21", getting closer to a 22" cruiser.

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 01:49:07 PM »
Why do the flatlanders prefer such small widths? For me the bigger the tire the easier it is to carve around on one wheel.

much less flex in the tires which fucks with your balance, as it introduces a delay in your pumps. plus the extra friction eats away momentum, and it's really noticable in flatland

Offline Thepoolman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 09:50:48 PM »
used to be a strict 90psi guy ( 2.25 dirt monster/ 1.95comet)    but I'm old and my wrists hate the psi...  so i run 80/85psi (2.4 ruben/2.2 t1)   The t1 tire is slow as fuck at 80psi or less.   My wrists hate me so much anytime i land flat on a 1/4 or jump.   One of my riding buddies runs like 45-50 psi front and back... he also can't get more than a ft out of a 1/4 or hip and doesn't jump anything...  Ill never understand low psi for anything but street.

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 05:28:52 PM »
80 but im 200 lbs

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 05:44:28 PM »
I run about 40. I used to run 90 or 100. Then I only had a hand pump for a few years and got used to low pressures. Anything higher than 60 feels gross to me. I don't really ride ramps.
Hangovers and trains

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 05:44:28 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello