Multimedia

Author Topic: profile column cranks super long spindle  (Read 3571 times)

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
profile column cranks super long spindle
« on: September 15, 2016, 09:08:52 PM »
the spindle for the column cranks is long as fuuuuucccckkkkkk
can i shorten it with an angle grinder
will the bolts bottom out?
will the splines be ruined?

how about twombolt cranks? i feel like i already went at them with an angle grinder, i forget. but if you grind the end face too far down then wont the wedge cluster part bottom out? would this become a problem?

Offline Cellmember

• View Profile
Re: profile column cranks super long spindle
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:35:35 PM »
You can shorten it by a couple mm each side, me I went 5mm each side, if you do that you will also have to shorten the spindle bolts as well but be careful if you decide to do so as the Allen only goes in so far and what I mean by that have a look at the 10mm Allen and where the thread is and you'll see what I'm talking about , I've done it myself and it's nothing to worry about.

If you can chamfer the edges it will also help with installation, just a quick grind and or file will do the trick and a little bit of fine sand paper to finish it off.

Obviously you'll want to get the cut as straight as possible otherwise when installing sprocket or crank you can have a hard time and depending on the work done could cause problem but a little bit off won't do much mainly if the work is haggard.

Or you could just pick up a 22mm stolen spindle with some 15x1mm accompanying spindle bolts to go with it from Dans for $40 if your not up to modifying.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:38:46 PM by Cellmember »
Vitalbmx: Cellmember
Bmxforum: Cellmember
Bmxmuseum: Cellmember
Ref\'s: http://www.bmx-forum.com/u/64216/cellmember

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

Re: profile column cranks super long spindle
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:35:35 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello